Early Baroque on Piano

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, July 16, 2009, 05:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Would anyone like to recommend some recordings of keyboard music by Baroque composers active pre-1700 (e.g. Froberger, Frescobaldi, Sweelinck, Purcell) played on a modern PIANO?

???
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Que

I think there are very little recordings like that in existence - who would commit such a sacrilege?  ;) ;D

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spitvalve on July 16, 2009, 05:07:16 AM
Would anyone like to recommend some recordings of keyboard music by Baroque composers active pre-1700 (e.g. Froberger, Frescobaldi, Sweelinck, Purcell) played on a modern PIANO?

???

Why? ???

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Que on July 16, 2009, 05:33:06 AM
I think there are very little recordings like that in existence - who would commit such a sacrilege?  ;) ;D

Glenn Gould did - check out his Byrd/Gibbons recording

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 16, 2009, 05:47:34 AM
Why? ???

Because I LIKE it that way, Gurn.

Now - would any1 like to take a stab at answering the request, instead of calling my taste into question?  >:(

DavidW

You might as well ask for early baroque played on electric guitar! :D ;D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2009, 09:33:38 AM
You might as well ask for early baroque played on electric guitar! :D ;D

And why not?  ??? If it's permissible to play Bach and Scarlatti on a piano, why can't we do the same with these older dudes?

You guys are pathetic  :D I wind up having to answer my own question. A bit of googling revealed this interesting program:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/Oct07/Bridge_Bach_BRIDGE9216.htm

DavidW

No I also feel that Bach and Scarlatti should not be played on the piano.  Nor should Haydn, nor Mozart.

DavidW

Before this spirals out of control, I want to point out that it was spitvalve that used the word "permissible", I did no such thing, I simply laughed at him in a playful manner. :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2009, 09:47:13 AM
No I also feel that Bach and Scarlatti should not be played on the piano.  Nor should Haydn, nor Mozart.

Ah well, diff'rent strokes and all that. Didn't realize you were such a HIPster purist  :)

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2009, 09:50:17 AM
Before this spirals out of control,

"Spirals out of control"? This isn't a Newman or Sean thread - you can relax  0:)

DavidW

Quote from: Spitvalve on July 16, 2009, 10:15:19 AM
Ah well, diff'rent strokes and all that. Didn't realize you were such a HIPster purist  :)

Oh it took awhile, there are alot of borderline composers that sound great either way, but then I discovered alot of Bach and Handel that sounded much better on period instruments.

So I actually prefer the sound of period instruments in baroque, can go either way in romantic, but prefer modern instruments with romantic and on.

"Spirals out of control"? This isn't a Newman or Sean thread - you can relax  0:)

I don't know man I just got through reading an old rmcr thread on HIP and it made Newman and Sean's threads seem tame in comparison.  We got atheism vs christianity, protestants vs catholics, nazis, the holocaust, personal insults of every kind... just wow! wow! wow! it's a very passionate subject. >:D

Bulldog

Although I personally prefer Baroque music on harpsichord and Classical era music on fortepiano, I think I'm open to both eras on the modern piano or any other instrument that's available.  However, it can be an uphill battle when the instrument is not one intended by the composer - that's where the artistry of the performer is really tested.

prémont

Quote from: Bulldog on July 16, 2009, 10:32:16 AM
Although I personally prefer Baroque music on harpsichord and Classical era music on fortepiano, I think I'm open to both eras on the modern piano or any other instrument that's available. 

It is not only a question of instrument used but also a question of tuning. Playing renaissance music and early baroque music on equally tuned instruments (has anyone ever heard of a modern piano tuned in mean tone?) deprives the music much of its character.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Drasko

Quote from: Spitvalve on July 16, 2009, 05:52:59 AM
Now - would any1 like to take a stab at answering the request

Gould also did some Sweelinck (Salzburg recital). Grigory Sokolov played in recital some Froberger and Byrd, Francois Couperin also but that is post-1700. I don't have the Froberger but do have off air recording of Byrd selection, not very high bitrate but if you're interested I can upload it.

Taxes-

Quote from: premont on July 16, 2009, 10:47:54 AM
(has anyone ever heard of a modern piano tuned in mean tone?)
There's nothing that prevents anyone from actually doing it though, right? Because except for that, I can't really of any other reason why the harpsichord would have an advantage over the modern piano in this kind of music (other than a technical one, maybe).

prémont

Quote from: Taxes- on July 16, 2009, 11:31:11 AM
There's nothing that prevents anyone from actually doing it though, right?

No, theoretically not.

But I used this example to illustrate that modern pianists approach this music from an angle of deliberate ignorance or maybe rather suffisance, Gould being the prototype of course.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: premont on July 16, 2009, 10:47:54 AM
It is not only a question of instrument used but also a question of tuning. Playing renaissance music and early baroque music on equally tuned instruments (has anyone ever heard of a modern piano tuned in mean tone?) deprives the music much of its character.

I admit that I don't know much about tuning systems, though I am aware there are differences. My problem is I'm just not crazy about the sound of the harpsichord. Last night I was listening to some Froberger played by Leonhardt, and thinking, This is good music, but I would like it better if it were played on an instrument I actually enjoy listening to.

dirkronk

Quote from: premont on July 16, 2009, 12:01:11 PM

suffisance

What a marvelously arcane term, premont. I had to go back to my Webster's Unabridged 2nd edition for this...and even there it was labeled "Obs." My Random House Unabridged didn't have it at all. I do love encountering words like this...thank you!
:D

Dirk

prémont

Quote from: dirkronk on July 17, 2009, 04:43:56 AM
What a marvelously arcane term, premont. ... I do love encountering words like this...thank you!

It is French and does not even completely cover what I meant. Maybe I should have written smugness
or self-sufficiency instead.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν