Birders' Nest

Started by Mozart, July 19, 2009, 09:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stürmisch Bewegt

I love birds, some birds more than others, admittedly, but I really do not want any of them nesting up in the eaves of our house, which they have taken to doing more so in recent years.  I have had real success in encouraging them to find alternative lodgings by placing esp. fragrant soaps at their favorite spots, Irish Spring works well.  This is the first spring I've encountered where something has been kicking the soaps outta there and I have had to replace several times.
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on March 16, 2021, 04:42:10 AM
PD, I had a similar experience out mowing my lawn several years ago, when a large shadow passed over me.  I thought it might be the grim reaper at first and looked up to greet him but it was a bald eagle - couldn't help but wonder if mine might have momentarily considered if I might be edible, as it then circled a bit... I've always been impressed with their high flying ways:  up to 10,000 feet.  But that's nuthin' compared to Ruppell's griffon vulture (endangered) which has been spotted flying at 37,000 feet (the same height as a coasting commercial airplane).
I also considered (and joked to someone later) that he/she might be thinking "Meal?".  I had joked that they were thinking "Hmm....lots of good meat there, but nah, too much trouble".

Wow, didn't know about a bald eagle's flying capabilities let alone a Ruppell's griffon vulture [Hadn't heard of a RGV before now either]!  ???

In any event, it was quite special to see a BE and so close.  The only either time that I had seen one (a pair) they were really high up in a pine tree (and looked about an inch big--no binocs then alas).

And glad that you didn't have a heart attack seeing the bald eagle--you wouldn't want to have seen them both on the same day.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on March 16, 2021, 04:50:28 AM
I love birds, some birds more than others, admittedly, but I really do not want any of them nesting up in the eaves of our house, which they have taken to doing more so in recent years.  I have had real success in encouraging them to find alternative lodgings by placing esp. fragrant soaps at their favorite spots, Irish Spring works well.  This is the first spring I've encountered where something has been kicking the soaps outta there and I have had to replace several times.
Wonder whether or not the "kicker" might in fact be a squirrel?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Just read this sad story on the BBC's website:  "A rare songbird has become so threatened that it has started to lose its song, say scientists."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56417544

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

We vacation in the summer on a protected marsh in Maine. The arrival of a visiting bald eagle is always announced by a din of irate seagulls attempting to drive the eagle away to protect their nests located in the seagrass. These efforts are completely futile, and the eagle usually manages to get its meal.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2021, 03:59:27 AM
Just read this sad story on the BBC's website:  "A rare songbird has become so threatened that it has started to lose its song, say scientists."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56417544

PD

Definitely sad. It's interesting how birds actually learn their songs.

Every spring, while I'm working in my garden, I'm visited by a songbird I have yet to identify. I call him the Beethoven Bird because his call is the first four notes of Beethoven's 5th. I usually answer his major third by whistling the subsequent minor third, hoping that by the end of the summer we can move on to the next phrase.  :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 17, 2021, 03:26:25 AM
Wonder whether or not the "kicker" might in fact be a squirrel?

PD

That thought crossed my mind as well, PD, but though I've seen plenty of squirrel up on the roof, have never seen them where the birds feel compelled to nest.  Possible, but unlikely, methinks. A little tricky for them to negotiate those spots.  Might be doves, I hear them around there a lot, though they don't nest there.  Speaking of squirrels on the roof:  years ago, I chased a baby squirrel about the backyard.  It quickly ran up a maple tree but in its fright went too far out on a spindly branch and was bending it up and down some eight or nine feet off the ground. Afraid to jump and not being able to turn around and go back, it let out a plaintive cry and his parents zoomed (no exaggeration) across the roof (they must have been in the front yard). One of them scurried up the maple out to the youngster and on the downward lunge gently pushed him off onto the ground and they both ran like the devil away from Mr. Stranger Danger.  Whenever I hear people talk about animals being mindless mechanisms - many do - I think of that occurrence and know otherwise. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 17, 2021, 04:08:48 AM
Definitely sad. It's interesting how birds actually learn their songs.

Every spring, while I'm working in my garden, I'm visited by a songbird I have yet to identify. I call him the Beethoven Bird because his call is the first four notes of Beethoven's 5th. I usually answer his major third by whistling the subsequent minor third, hoping that by the end of the summer we can move on to the next phrase.  :)
:laugh: What are the three main colors?  How long is their tail in relationship to their body?  How would you describe what they look like?  Any particular markings?

Have you tried taking a picture of them with your cell phone and using the Merlin app?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on March 18, 2021, 03:48:52 PM
That thought crossed my mind as well, PD, but though I've seen plenty of squirrel up on the roof, have never seen them where the birds feel compelled to nest.  Possible, but unlikely, methinks. A little tricky for them to negotiate those spots.  Might be doves, I hear them around there a lot, though they don't nest there.  Speaking of squirrels on the roof:  years ago, I chased a baby squirrel about the backyard.  It quickly ran up a maple tree but in its fright went too far out on a spindly branch and was bending it up and down some eight or nine feet off the ground. Afraid to jump and not being able to turn around and go back, it let out a plaintive cry and his parents zoomed (no exaggeration) across the roof (they must have been in the front yard). One of them scurried up the maple out to the youngster and on the downward lunge gently pushed him off onto the ground and they both ran like the devil away from Mr. Stranger Danger.  Whenever I hear people talk about animals being mindless mechanisms - many do - I think of that occurrence and know otherwise.
Oh, no!  May I ask why you were chasing it?  Way to go parent squirrels!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2021, 09:17:53 AM
:laugh: What are the three main colors?  How long is their tail in relationship to their body?  How would you describe what they look like?  Any particular markings?

Have you tried taking a picture of them with your cell phone and using the Merlin app?

PD

The problem is that when it's singing, it's way up in the trees out of sight. I'm guessing it's one of the song sparrows that come down to feed on insects, but until I actually see it in song, I don't know for sure. I've listened to the calls all of the possibilities on line, but I can't find anything that matches.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 20, 2021, 09:27:48 AM
The problem is that when it's singing, it's way up in the trees out of sight. I'm guessing it's one of the song sparrows that come down to feed on insects, but until I actually see it in song, I don't know for sure. I've listened to the calls all of the possibilities on line, but I can't find anything that matches.
Drat!  Elusive little birdie for sure!  ;)

Just back from a nice long walk by a river.  First thing off, saw a red-tailed hawk in flight..happily sailing along on the drafts on a sunny day. :)  A bit later, spotted two turkey vultures flying way high up.  Saw another group (or same) but three this time, much closer to the ground.  Beautiful day to be outside.  Checked my local neighborhood on return and heard and saw what I believe to be a hairy woodpecker back on its same tree still digging out its nest.  I hadn't seen it for a while and was hoping that it hadn't been frightened away by either myself sharing with neighbors about the nest and yakking too loudly and disturbing it or by someone or something else.   :(  All seems to be good now though thankfully.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 06, 2021, 11:53:29 AM
Not so hard when you see them together. Actually, they look more like cardinals from some angles, like head-on from the front. My wife was looking at it when I came in, and she said it was some weird-looking cardinal. The it turned sideways and it was more obvious! :D

Gurn, what do you think? Purple finches or house finches? I'm going with house.

Pohjolas Daughter

Tony,

It looks like a house finch to me.  On the Cornell website, you can compare different birds side by side to compare what they look like (really handy).  See here:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/species-compare/63736771

PD

p.s.  Read somewhere that the house finches are basically driving out the purple finches. :-(
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Picture from last year later in the season. Brighter plumage.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 26, 2021, 04:49:45 AM
Picture from last year later in the season. Brighter plumage.
Neat!

Keep checking in on Big Red and Arthur (RTHs at Cornell)...BR is certainly taking her time this year in laying her first egg.  Historically (info on their website), the latest date recorded of her laying her first egg was on March 28th.  Today's the 26th and it's very windy on the campus today and is forecast for continued strong winds today.  Hope that she can hang in there for another day before laying it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

And Big Red has laid her third egg this morning in Ithaca, NY.  True to form, she laid it in horrible weather (It snowed overnight)...mid-morning today local time.  No April Fools Day joke.  :)  What a trooper!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Bird Photographer of the Year 2021 finalists.  Some absolutely stunning photos plus the stories of how they were taken.  :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-56654460

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Some very fine photos there, thank you. The one with that little yellow duck is very cinematic :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 09, 2021, 04:35:18 AM
Some very fine photos there, thank you. The one with that little yellow duck is very cinematic :)
I wonder who won the battle in the fox vs. the sea eagle?

The one of the shag bird chick forcing its head down its parent's throat cracked me up and I would imagine might have been a bit alarming to the mom!

And, yes, it must have been amusing to see the little duckling following the fly around determined to get it!  :)

I particularly also loved the photo of the mute swans courting too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Went for a combo of a walk/birding over the weekend.  Saw my first red-bellied woodpecker along with a number of either hairy and/or downys.  :)  Glad that my friend brought his binoculars; mine aren't nearly as good!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker

PD
Pohjolas Daughter