Birders' Nest

Started by Mozart, July 19, 2009, 09:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabuse

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 18, 2021, 05:25:00 AM
Checked in on some of the birds on that Dutch site that you introduced me to Mabuse.  Was able to see the arrival of either mom or dad peregrine falcon (which stayed with the two chicks for a short amount of time), the great titmouse and a couple of the owls.  One thing that I wish that that website would do would be to provide some more info about the birds and the nests....like how long they've had the nests there, info about the inhabitants, etc.

PD

I just found the original site that produces these webcams ... There is a lot of information by them:
https://www.vogelbescherming.nl/beleefdelente
Everything is in Dutch but with Google Translate it works quite well  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on June 18, 2021, 05:02:29 AM
I just found the original site that produces these webcams ... There is a lot of information by them:
https://www.vogelbescherming.nl/beleefdelente
Everything is in Dutch but with Google Translate it works quite well  :)
Thanks!  :)

Still waiting for the red-tailed hawks at Cornell to fledge.  They're due to any minute!  Been rather windy there lately; not good for a young bird trying to figure out how to fly, so best to stay tight at the nest for now.

PD

Latest:  Those chicks are still in the nest (or on the platform holding the nest) though they are going onto the "fledge ledge" more often (a small piece of flat metal that sticks out from the rest of the platform.  Also, at least one of them K1 has been hopping repeatedly off and on a metal cross/support piece which is at an awkward angle (for them).  They support the metal handrail on the light platform.  Wonder if they might be waiting for the first day of summer (almost here!)?   :-\
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

K1 (the first born red-tailed hawk at Cornell University in New York) did an amazing fledge from its nest today.  K2 (the second born) had been experiencing health issues lately and as it wasn't healing, they decided to carefully remove the young hawk from the nest to treat it (to make a long story short....feel free to ask if you like).  K3, the youngest, surprisingly wasn't upset by folks removing its sibling from the nest and is still there even though (from what I understand) it is old enough to fledge.  Here's a short video of K1 fledging:

Edit:  Oh wait!  This is new!  It's of K2 being captured to help it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12O5rBUpz-4
Edit:  Here's a link to K1 fledging.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12O5rBUpz-4

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Well done, K1 !

By removing a baby from the nest, I would have been especially worried about the reaction of the parents... It is better not to be caught in the act  ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on June 22, 2021, 03:25:21 PM
Well done, K1 !

By removing a baby from the nest, I would have been especially worried about the reaction of the parents... It is better not to be caught in the act  ???
Yes!  I believe they said that Big Red was watching from the top of a pole within eyesight of the nest?  K1 was thankfully gone before they went up there and K3 didn't panic and leave (though they weren't too worried about that as he's old enough to fly now).

Looking at the video again, K3 was trying to do his best at Big Hawk stuff--war crying and opening up his wings while they were quickly but gently picking up K2 to bring her to a rehabilitation place (including putting a hood over her to help her calm down).  Surprised at how quickly they were able to get her and glad that she didn't try and fight them.  Must have still been rather upsetting to both K2 and K3.  And wondering what all is going through the heads of BR and Arthur.  I suspect that BR in particular knew that something was wrong with K2 (She has been patiently feeding her all along unlike Arthur, who as far as we can see, hasn't been feeding the chicks directly).

K1 did fly back to the nest around dinnertime yesterday and was rewarded with a prey drop from Dad.

I suspect that K3 will fledge today, but we'll see it when we see it!

Awaiting updates on K2's health and progress.

Some sad news heard over the radio yesterday:  https://www.npr.org/2021/06/22/1008986922/a-single-drone-has-harmed-a-generation-of-wildlife

Some more detail here:  https://www.audubon.org/news/a-drone-crash-caused-thousands-elegant-terns-abandon-their-nests
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2021, 01:07:11 PM
K1 (the first born red-tailed hawk at Cornell University in New York) did an amazing fledge from its nest today.  K2 (the second born) had been experiencing health issues lately and as it wasn't healing, they decided to carefully remove the young hawk from the nest to treat it (to make a long story short....feel free to ask if you like).  K3, the youngest, surprisingly wasn't upset by folks removing its sibling from the nest and is still there even though (from what I understand) it is old enough to fledge.  Here's a short video of K1 fledging:

Edit:  Oh wait!  This is new!  It's of K2 being captured to help it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12O5rBUpz-4
Edit:  Here's a link to K1 fledging.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12O5rBUpz-4

PD

Bit like diving off the highest springboard at the local swimming pool for the first time! ???
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

K3 (the baby--probably a boy but can't know for certain without either doing a DNA test or seeing it laying an egg.  From what I understand, however, the females are normally larger than the males--by about 30%)....well, he fledged yesterday.  It was a very rough one to watch though as he ended up flying into a big brick building!  It was hard to see as the camera could only follow so closely.  Thankfully, he managed to slow up a bit as his feet hit the building (according to a later report)...nothing to grab onto so he quickly slid/fell/fluttered? toward the ground..couldn't see how he landed or what he fell onto so it was a rather heart-in-your-throat moment.  We weren't certain whether he was dead or alive or injured for a while.  Thankfully, some local birders were contacted and they managed to find him and everything appeared to be o.k. with him.  :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoNgRlHsZxU

Quote from: Irons on June 24, 2021, 06:25:30 AM
Bit like diving off the highest springboard at the local swimming pool for the first time! ???
Just saw your posting whilst slowly typing here.  Yes!  The towers are at least 70 feet high.  You can see K3 fledge above.  Those big tilted boxes on the left are lights which are angled down towards one of the athletic fields at the university.

By the way, his older sibling K1 had just left the nest (for only her second time) a few minutes earlier and landed in one of the large trees that you see.  Her landing this time was a bit more awkward; you could see her hanging upside down for a bit trying to right herself!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Thanks for the report, PD  :)

K3's "crash" against the brick wall is indeed impressive... It's reassuring to know he or she is doing well.

Irons

Quote from: mabuse on June 24, 2021, 01:31:36 PM

K3's "crash" against the brick wall is indeed impressive... It's reassuring to know he or she is doing well.

That is what I thought. Then put it down to my eyes deceiving me. 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on June 24, 2021, 01:31:36 PM

Quote from: Irons on June 24, 2021, 11:44:12 PM
That is what I thought. Then put it down to my eyes deceiving me. 8)
Pleased to see that K3 managed to get back to the nest.  K1 is definitely the stronger flier of the two for the time being.  No update on K2 who is still at the wildlife rehab center.  From what I understand (from a vet who also is a falconer and who is one of the mods on the Cornell hawk cams and chatters group), if K2 is away from her parents for longer than a week, a falconer will have to help her with fledging.

Kids!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mabuse on June 30, 2021, 03:56:39 PM

?!
:laugh:  I suspect that that is one happy bird (with all of that fruit to choose from)?  :)

The red-tailed hawks K1 and K3 are still doing well--busy working on their hunting and survival skills.  Latest:  hunting bark.   :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 01, 2021, 03:22:51 AM
:laugh:  I suspect that that is one happy bird (with all of that fruit to choose from)?  :)

:)

This is a Rosy-faced lovebird... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy-faced_lovebird

I read they like to live in cacti !

Szykneij

There is a virus affecting the U.S. mid-Atlantic states that has resulted in significant songbird deaths. It hasn't gotten as far north as where I am, but local authorities and agencies have recommended shutting down bird feeders and bird baths. (It's hard to get the little ones to wear masks and eliminating bird feeders would help with avian social distancing.) This isn't something I'm keen on doing because working in the yard or reading a book outside surrounded by all kinds of birds and their distinctive sounds is one of my favorite summer pleasures. There is another factor, though, that resulted in my cutting back on the number of feeders I fill -- pigeons!
  I have nothing against pigeons. As a matter of fact, I find them to be among the most interesting of birds. As clumsy as they might appear on land, they are graceful flyers capable of attaining some significant velocities. They also have a variety of coloration that lets you readily identify and recognize individuals, something that isn't as easy to do with other groups of birds. Unfortunately, for the first time in a very many years, pigeons have been visiting my property in huge numbers and when 30 or more at a time start roosting on neighboring roofs, it isn't a good thing. No one has complained (yet), but I've eliminated the feeders that tended to result in seeds scattered on the ground while keeping the thistle and suet feeders going. This has helped somewhat, and while there are still pigeon visitors, my backyard doesn't look like the set of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
  I'm not sure what caused this sudden rock dove invasion, but I suspect the fact I haven't heard or seen any hawks lately might have something to do with it.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

mabuse

Quote from: Szykneij on August 06, 2021, 01:25:21 PM
  I'm not sure what caused this sudden rock dove invasion, but I suspect the fact I haven't heard or seen any hawks lately might have something to do with it.

In the absence of hawks, I'm sure a few cats would be happy to help you !

Personally, I have a bit of the same problem with turtledoves, which can become very intrusive over time and their cooing can be quite annoying... ::)

mabuse

A photo that I like...  :D

« The Miami Zoo put 30 flamingos in the bathroom during hurricane Andrew, to ride out the storm. 1992 »

Szykneij

Quote from: mabuse on October 07, 2021, 11:28:52 AM
A photo that I like...  :D

« The Miami Zoo put 30 flamingos in the bathroom during hurricane Andrew, to ride out the storm. 1992 »

Awesome picture! It looks like they're fascinated by the mirror.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Szykneij on August 06, 2021, 01:25:21 PM
-- pigeons!
  I have nothing against pigeons. As a matter of fact, I find them to be among the most interesting of birds. As clumsy as they might appear on land, they are graceful flyers capable of attaining some significant velocities. They also have a variety of coloration that lets you readily identify and recognize individuals, something that isn't as easy to do with other groups of birds. Unfortunately, for the first time in a very many years, pigeons have been visiting my property in huge numbers and when 30 or more at a time start roosting on neighboring roofs, it isn't a good thing. No one has complained (yet), but I've eliminated the feeders that tended to result in seeds scattered on the ground while keeping the thistle and suet feeders going. This has helped somewhat, and while there are still pigeon visitors, my backyard doesn't look like the set of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Pigeons. Or as Woody Allen calls them, "rats with wings". When I was Food Safety Director for a large animal feed manufacturer, keeping the pigeons away was a major struggle! >:(   :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Szykneij

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 07, 2021, 11:42:00 AM
Pigeons. Or as Woody Allen calls them, "rats with wings". When I was Food Safety Director for a large animal feed manufacturer, keeping the pigeons away was a major struggle! >:(   :(

8)

From what I've read, starlings are also a major headache in that regard.