Birders' Nest

Started by Mozart, July 19, 2009, 09:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

The owlets have grown quite a bit!  Amazing to watch:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/barred-owls/

Earlier this morning, noticed Arthur (the red-tailed hawk) carefully feeding his little ones--including the tiniest one which was relieving to see as about a week ago, I was checking on the Savannah ospreys and the youngest and tiniest of the lot didn't make it.  Hard to watch the little one die.
The tiny hawks are now sleeping away with full stomachs.

I know that the red-tailed hawks are common, but I still find them amazing to watch.  Found a nest nearby....can't see anything though as it is so high up in the air!  The reason that I and a friend out on a walk noticed it to begin with was that we saw a hawk flying with a branch in its mouth and land on the nest.   :)

Anyone else here have any reports of sitings?  Or favorite birds to watch?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Saw a kingfisher today. Only had the small pocket camera though.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 06, 2020, 04:43:27 AM
Saw a kingfisher today. Only had the small pocket camera though.
Oh, neat!  I don't recall seeing one before now.

Saw about four red-winged blackbirds a few days ago whilst getting a walk in with a friend.  I took some photos of them, but alas, they were too far away and didn't come out well at all.

EDIT:  These guys are just too cute and growing up quickly!  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/barred-owls/
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Was stunned today when I went to check on the red-tailed hawk fledglings/juvies still currently living on the campus of Cornell.  Big Red (the female) and her mate Arthur had three chicks.  I've followed their progress from birth and had grown quite fond of them.  They are at the point now that they've all managed to catch at least one meal themselves (other than bugs) but are still learning about life, hunting, and perfecting their flying skills.

One thing that I learned pretty early on was that roughly 80 percent of birds do not survive their first year (some reports are even higher than that).  It still came as a shock to me that the oldest of the chicks died a couple of days ago.  She was so beautiful and had a lovely voice too and suspect would have made a great mother like her own.  They are doing an autopsy at Cornell to see if they can find out why she died.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

An American Avocet wading for breakfast.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on July 18, 2020, 01:20:48 PM
An American Avocet wading for breakfast.
Is that one of the birds in your neck of the woods Todd?  Neat coloring and a sweet little chirping sound.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 18, 2020, 01:37:38 PM
Is that one of the birds in your neck of the woods Todd?  Neat coloring and a sweet little chirping sound.

I don't believe I have seen them where I live.  The lake where I shot this is a seven hour drive away.

Todd

White Faced Ibis.

Pohjolas Daughter

They're fascinating to watch aren't they?

I've seen red-tailed hawks in my area...one time quite closely and became interested in learning more about them.  Someone, I think, told me about Cornell's bird cams and I was hooked.  Cornell has two cams on its campus (including a feeder cam) but also streams others too.  They also have a free app (called Merlin) which you can download on your cell phone.  It's very handy for identifying birds.  A great website too.  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 18, 2020, 01:56:02 PMThey're fascinating to watch aren't they?

When I take trips to rural and wildlife areas, I keep an eye out for all manner of wildlife.  This last trip the only thing I saw of note were new birds, so that is what I shot.  I'm opportunistic when I take photos.  Lake Abert, where I shot the Avocet, had more birds gathered than I've ever seen in one spot.  I had to alternate between two cameras, one taking sunrise shots over the butte, and one taking shots of thousands/tens-of-thousands of birds feeding.  The unpredictability of flight always makes for invigorating shooting.  Bless DSLRs and 128 GB SD cards.

Todd

While out and about over the holiday weekend, I spotted this trio of American White Pelicans swimming and fishing together, in almost perfect unison.  I watched and shot them for probably 10-15 minutes. 

Todd

Second shot.

Pohjolas Daughter

How nice it must have been to have seen them!  Do you have a telephoto lens that could bring your view (and picture) closer?

A friend and I went for a short walk by a river and saw several pelican flying around; wish that i could have viewed them a bit closer (and not flying away so quickly!).  Still, cool to see.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2020, 11:43:33 AMHow nice it must have been to have seen them!  Do you have a telephoto lens that could bring your view (and picture) closer?

No.  Those shots were from 100+ yards out.  A longer telephoto is not justified.

steve ridgway

They zoom in fine for me. Lugging a massive expensive lens over my shoulder and a heavy tripod is not my idea of "out and about".

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 08, 2020, 08:21:40 PM
They zoom in fine for me. Lugging a massive expensive lens over my shoulder and a heavy tripod is not my idea of "out and about".
What sort of equipment do you use Steve?  And, when you've captured a decent closeup, any idea of about how far away you were?

And, I meant that I had seen some herons the other day...not pelicans.   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 16, 2021, 06:30:51 AM
I don't know how much climate change and COVID have to do with it, but even though I'm just 5 miles out from downtown Boston, there was a coyote roaming down my street early yesterday evening. It was probably hunting a rabbit or other small animal whose populations have exploded as of late, just like the hawks that targeted my bird feeders all summer.

We've had steady rain all morning, which won't melt all of our snow and will probably create a hard, slippery glaze after temperatures drop down below freezing again.
Looks like you had a juvie coopie visiting you?  :)

I often see red-tailed hawks in my area.  I love it when I see one.  Just realized that it was a year ago Presidents' Day when I saw my first one whilst out walking with a friend.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 16, 2021, 06:48:15 AM
Looks like you had a juvie coopie visiting you?  :)

I often see red-tailed hawks in my area.  I love it when I see one.  Just realized that it was a year ago Presidents' Day when I saw my first one whilst out walking with a friend.  :)

PD

We get red-tails, too.

I don't know if my owl photo is as good as Gurn's, but I took this one while I was out walking my dogs in a nearby reservation.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 16, 2021, 07:16:03 AM
We get red-tails, too.

I don't know if my owl photo is as good as Gurn's, but I took this one while I was out walking my dogs in a nearby reservation.
Cool!  Was this early one morning?

My neighbors and I have a number of tall trees in our yards; I often see them there.  About a month-ish ago, I was walking past one neighbor's house, heard a rustle and saw something out of the corner of my eye.  I turned and looked:  it was a RTH on the ground.  It then flew off low over a short fence with a grey squirrel in its talons.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter