Felix Weingartner

Started by Sean, February 14, 2015, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

There's a whole bunch of his symphonies and other works on YT- anyone know his stuff, is it worth my time, and any recommendations? If it's anything much like the Furtwangler symphonies the answer will I guess be in the negative.

amw

Symphonies I've heard are definitely better than Furtwängler's—more concise and with a reasonably original voice, somewhat more of a 'classicist'; a possible point of comparison being the early symphonies of Egon Wellesz. Don't expect another Mahler or Bruckner, but do expect some enjoyable, if a bit forgettable, music.

Sean

Alright, you've persuaded me. Will let you know what I think later. I'm going for the Fourth symphony, a merciful 31 minutes only, which I'll hear repeatedly as usual.

Sean

The Fourth could pass as a sketch for a Brahms serenade but there are the occasional forward looking touches.

W.A. Mozart

How do you rate this piece?

Laurent Albert Breuninger, violin
SWR Rundfunkorkester, Kaiserslauten
Alun Francis, conductor

Symphonic Addict

A recent discovery of mine. I loved it instantly. The performance is so hot and fully committed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

May I suggest that, instead of starting a new thread for every piece, you just lump them all together under one and the same thread, say, "How do you rate this piece?" --- and instead of offering predefined commentaries, you just let everyone offering theirs?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: Florestan on April 26, 2023, 01:16:50 PMMay I suggest that, instead of starting a new thread for every piece, you just lump them all together under one and the same thread, say, "How do you rate this piece?" --- and instead of offering predefined commentaries, you just let everyone offering theirs?

In an other forum a similar thread about the symphony no. 3 of Gorecki has produced 10 pages and it's still going on.

The reason for which you don't see why to create a discussion about single pieces it's probably that you are not aware of the huge discussions that can arise around a single piece.

DaveF

Another idea might be to start the discussion of a particular piece in the general thread for its composer, all of which can be found here: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26912.0.html

Even Weingartner has his own thread, which has been inactive for over 8 years, so in need of a "bump"!
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: DaveF on April 30, 2023, 04:56:28 AMAnother idea might be to start the discussion of a particular piece in the general thread for its composer, all of which can be found here: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,26912.0.html

Even Weingartner has his own thread, which has been inactive for over 8 years, so in need of a "bump"!

Yes, I never understood why the composers' individual "official" threads aren't more utilized, though they are much better utilized here at GMG than at another place.  However, I still feel they are heavily under utilized.

That's why when I am listening to something, I tend to post it in the respective composer's "official" thread in hopes of spurring further discussion on the composer, rather than simply posting in the "needle in the haystack" that are the "What are you listening to now" thread.  To each their own though, I'm clearly in the minority in viewing things this way, and I'm fully aware of it.  :)

DavidW

If you want WAM I can merge your thread with the existing Weingartner thread.  Just let me know.

foxandpeng

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 30, 2023, 03:30:04 AMIn an other forum a similar thread about the symphony no. 3 of Gorecki has produced 10 pages and it's still going on.

The reason for which you don't see why to create a discussion about single pieces it's probably that you are not aware of the huge discussions that can arise around a single piece.

For me, that is the very reason why this sort of post sits better in the individual Composer threads. Far easier finding later, and all under the one composer umbrella.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: DavidW on April 30, 2023, 07:45:11 AMIf you want WAM I can merge your thread with the existing Weingartner thread.  Just let me know.

Ok.

Toni Bernet

Felix Weingartner's Violin Concerto was composed in 1911 for Fritz Kreisler (1875 - 1962), who was still at the beginning of his career. Kreisler premiered it in Vienna on 28 October 1912 to great acclaim.

On 1 November, an enthusiastic and highly competent concert review appeared in the "Neue freie Presse" under the abbreviation "J.K.", from which I would like to quote excerpts such as the following: "Weingartner's concerto is above all a small, lively celebration of the violin, in which the orchestra, resplendent in modern colours, also joins in. The texture is the safest, the pleasing content entered by mood and spirit" (J.K.). J.K., by the way, is none other than Julius Korngold, the father of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, whose violin concerto managed to become famous without his father.
For the original review by Julius Korngold, see:
https://unbekannte-violinkonzerte.jimdofree.com/e-3/weingartner/