Smetana's Dům

Started by Lethevich, July 20, 2009, 07:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Quite surprising to see such a modest thread for one of the greats! Well, let's give it a try:

This year's Prague Spring festival opened – as usual – with Smetana's Má vlast (My Fatherland), but there was a twist. The orchestra was Collegium 1704, the performance HIP to the bone, catgut and all. So if you yearned to hear a historically informed Vltava (Moldau) & co., you can do so via the Czech radio – just click the white-on-blue play button and skip to 7:30, where the performance starts.

I've enjoyed it immensely and the overall clarity and instrument separation opened my ears to some less familiar parts of the work. Sweet!*

* trivia you didn't ask for: "smetana" means "cream" in Czech

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Lethevich on July 20, 2009, 07:20:06 AM
Surprised there isn't a serious thread on this fellow yet. I wanted to ask a question, but it wouldn't be a good way to start a thread without some kind of look at the music I do know:

His large symphonic poem cycle Má Vlast is as superb as its popularity implies, although like a few others, I find the two later-added pieces to be less inspired than the radiant first four. There are mercifully many great recordings of this work, so you could scarcely go wrong in buying one, but some of the most popular are Kubelik's last live recording on Supraphon, Wit's expansive take on Naxos, and Macal/Milwaukee SO(!) on Telarc.

His chamber works are sparse and gem-like in their quality. The two string quartets and the piano trio are essential works in their respective genres. The operas, much like Dvořák's, are quite neglected. I find myself preferring Smetana's to Dvořák due to a less routine method of composition which I have yet to fully understand. There is a great sweep to the music, sometimes in an almost oratoriac* manner, but also infused with dances and a lot of carefree moods. It is perhaps a little unfair that the only of his operas to have recieved any attention, The Bartered Bride, is the second of eight - and he shows no sign of having declined in compositional power towards the end of his life. The opposite is attested to in his chamber music.

*Made up words can be so useful!

Anyway, my question: what are your opinions on the various multiple-disc cycles of his orchestral works? The choices seem to be between Noseda/BBC Phil/Chandos (2 volumes, in progress), Válek/Prague RSO/Supraphon (3 discs), Kuchar/Janáček PO/Brilliant (3 discs). Did I miss any?

I think you've made an excellent summary of Smetana's output - I would add the piano works and the unaccompanied chorus music as having real power and interest too.  I have enjoyed Jitka Chechova's multi disc survey on Supraphon for the former and various odds and ends on the same label for the latter.

As far as the orchestral collections are concerned - the Khuchar seems good at plugging the gaps of the "minor" works.  Valek I have been generally underwhelmed by in just about anything he has done and Noseda's I don't know.  Of course there are many very fine Ma Vlasts but the 3 you mention are all excellent but I'd add Ancerl (of course) and Berglund in Dresden and Levine in Vienna for a couple of more "left field" recommendations....

kyjo

I was recently listening to Smetana's Piano Trio in G minor in this astounding recording:

I've always liked this piece, but upon listening to this recording it absolutely blew me away. It's now firmly one of my very favorite piano trios - a masterwork of great emotional depth and melodic distinction. Smetana wrote it after the death of his daughter and one can sense his pain in the music. The sheer soulfulness of the melodies and the imaginative ways in which Smetana utilizes them is just so touching. The transformation of of the wistful secondary theme in an ecstatic blaze of joy near the end of the movement is an absolutely incredible moment! Not to mention the work sounds quite ahead of its time for 1854-55! I consider it a shame that Smetana didn't write more chamber music, but we must be thankful we have this trio in addition to his two wonderful string quartets.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2021, 07:43:53 AM
I was recently listening to Smetana's Piano Trio in G minor in this astounding recording:

I've always liked this piece, but upon listening to this recording it absolutely blew me away. It's now firmly one of my very favorite piano trios - a masterwork of great emotional depth and melodic distinction. Smetana wrote it after the death of his daughter and one can sense his pain in the music. The sheer soulfulness of the melodies and the imaginative ways in which Smetana utilizes them is just so touching. The transformation of of the wistful secondary theme in an ecstatic blaze of joy near the end of the movement is an absolutely incredible moment! Not to mention the work sounds quite ahead of its time for 1854-55! I consider it a shame that Smetana didn't write more chamber music, but we must be thankful we have this trio in addition to his two wonderful string quartets.

Seek out ANY recordings by this trio (the pianist and cellist are ever-presents but they do swap arounf filddlers!).  Their recordings  - whoever is playing - are excellent.  Not sure but I think the performance of the Smetana Trio is the same as on this disc - just recoupled...?

posssibly more interesting couplings...... (the Dvorak is great but perhaps a tad obvious?).  Actually looking at those cover pics - it looks like a different violinist and the other 2 look a bit younger as well

EDIT:  just checked - they are different; one recorded in 2000 the other in 2004

Que

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2021, 07:43:53 AM

Absolutely great recording, strongly recommended. Excellent trio.

Symphonic Addict

To these ears, these are the most vigorous and joyful of the performances of these superb pieces. The 2nd mov. from From my Life as played by this ensemble is as nothing else. It's infectious!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

The new box of live Ancerl recordings has a Ma Vlast with the Czech Phil in good stereo sound.  I've only had a brief listen so far, so can't say how it compares with the studio recording.

SonicMan46

Smetana, Bedřich (1824-1884) - my collection below w/ 3 versions of Má Vlast, i.e. Kuchar in a 3-disc Brilliant offering and Rafael Kubelik (1914-1996) early in his career, 1952 w/ the Chicago SO on the Mercury Living Presence technology (sounds great!) and in 1990 w/ the Czech PO.  The String Trio & Quartets a must w/ plenty of other versions; finally, Piano Music, a Brilliant 2-CD box from 1980/1988 w/ Antonin Kubalek & Peter Schmalfuss on separate discs - I'm sure there may be 'better' piano recordings.  Despite his opera fame, especially w/ The Bartered Bride, only have some instrumental pieces in the Kuchar box.  Comments and other recommendations for this seemingly important composer who receives little attention -  ???  :laugh:  Dave

QuoteBedřich Smetana was a Czech composer who pioneered a musical style that became closely identified with his people's aspirations to a cultural and political "revival." He is regarded as the father of Czech music. Internationally he is best known for his 1866 opera The Bartered Bride and for the symphonic cycle Má vlast ("My Fatherland"), which portrays the history, legends and landscape of the composer's native Bohemia. It contains the famous symphonic poem "Vltava", also popularly known by its German name "Die Moldau" (in English, "The Moldau"). (Source)

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 25, 2022, 07:40:33 AM
Smetana, Bedřich (1824-1884) - my collection below w/ 3 versions of Má Vlast, i.e. Kuchar in a 3-disc Brilliant offering and Rafael Kubelik (1914-1996) early in his career, 1952 w/ the Chicago SO on the Mercury Living Presence technology (sounds great!) and in 1990 w/ the Czech PO.  The String Trio & Quartets a must w/ plenty of other versions; finally, Piano Music, a Brilliant 2-CD box from 1980/1988 w/ Antonin Kubalek & Peter Schmalfuss on separate discs - I'm sure there may be 'better' piano recordings.  Despite his opera fame, especially w/ The Bartered Bride, only have some instrumental pieces in the Kuchar box.  Comments and other recommendations for this seemingly important composer who receives little attention -  ???  :laugh:  Dave

Love Smetana Dave! It would probably be too much crossover of what you already own, but Eloquence's 2CD Smetana orchestral compilation, mostly from Kubelik, is excellent! FYE, it is Kubelik with the Boston SO in Má Vlast.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on June 25, 2022, 10:41:49 AM
Love Smetana Dave! It would probably be too much crossover of what you already own, but Eloquence's 2CD Smetana orchestral compilation, mostly from Kubelik, is excellent! FYE, it is Kubelik with the Boston SO in Má Vlast.

Hi VS - looks like a nice 2-disc collection - the Brilliant Kuchar set has 3-CDs and nearly the same material plus more and is well done; so those in the market for these orchestral works have a number of choices, price certainly being a consideration.  Thanks.  Dave :)

Jo498

I have these lesser known tone poems w/ Kubelik in another coupling (janacek sinfonietta) but I don't remember anything about them... I guess they are far less known than Ma vlast for a reason.
I don't have clear suggestions but about the only thing that comes to mind is a modern "sonic spectacular" (SACD or at least recent digital) recording of Ma vlast because otherwise these Kubelik recordings are considered the classics.
I have not heard the Pavel Haas in the Smetana quartets but I expect them to be very good. Not sure if a ~1970s studio recording of the eponymous quartet is available (they made several but some might be live in not so great sound; studio Denon/Supraphon should be fine, though).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 25, 2022, 07:40:33 AM

Good stuff all.  If I could only have one MaVlast it would be the live Kubelik/Czech PO.  I remember watching that concert on a live broadcast.  You could feel the sense of history. 

The Kosler/Czech PO Bartered Bride is the one to go for - good sound and very authentic.  After that perhaps try Libuse as an example of a ki d if mythic/heroic Slavic opera.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 25, 2022, 11:46:06 AM
Good stuff all.  If I could only have one MaVlast it would be the live Kubelik/Czech PO.  I remember watching that concert on a live broadcast.  You could feel the sense of history. 

The Kosler/Czech PO Bartered Bride is the one to go for - good sound and very authentic.  After that perhaps try Libuse as an example of a ki d if mythic/heroic Slavic opera.

Thanks for the comments - I liked both of the Kubelik recordings, done 38 years apart!  Also, for those interested in the 1990 'live' performance, there is short, subdued applause at the very end; but those Mercury Presence engineers were quite amazing!  Dave :)

Brahmsian

By golly!  :o 400+ pages of Havergal Brian and only two of Smetana!?  :-\ Make it make sense.  ???

Exploring the Martinu thread eventually brought me here. Just looking for the different recommendations outside of Ma Vlast and the String Quartets.

Looks like I need a recording of the Piano Trio!

Brian

Mostly for me it is Ma Vlast, the string quartets, the piano trio, and the Bartered Bride. But Garrick Ohlsson's solo piano album on Hyperion is really charming music, really well played.

I was recently astonished by one of the "historical" tone poems but forget which one. Tomorrow I'll give them another listen and tell you which.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 21, 2023, 06:00:52 PMBy golly!  :o 400+ pages of Havergal Brian and only two of Smetana!?  :-\ Make it make sense.  ???

Scandalous, isn't it?  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Luke

I know! The 400s is shockingly low!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 21, 2023, 06:00:52 PMBy golly!  :o 400+ pages of Havergal Brian and only two of Smetana!?  :-\ Make it make sense.  ???

Exploring the Martinu thread eventually brought me here. Just looking for the different recommendations outside of Ma Vlast and the String Quartets.

Looks like I need a recording of the Piano Trio!

Yes you do!  Coincidentally I like the playing of the eponymous Smetana Trio in just about anything but their performance of the piano trio is excellent;

but there are a LOT of fine versions

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 21, 2023, 11:30:07 PMYes you do!  Coincidentally I like the playing of the eponymous Smetana Trio in just about anything but their performance of the piano trio is excellent;

but there are a LOT of fine versions

Thanks, I was indeed eyeing that very recording.