The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Reading Mahler Scores

(1/5) > >>

Greta:
Hi Mahlerites!  ;D I've been working on getting the scores to the symphonies, now have #3-7 and am ready to dive in. I thought it would be nice to have a place where we wayfarers can share tips and interesting finds in reading Mahler's scores.

I'm sitting down with the 5th tonite and several recordings, I have numbered my measures beforehand (starting at #1 with each mvmt) and translated his German directions to English.

His scores have some challenges in reading, the density and complexity of the writing, and just trying to follow him when he has lines going in twenty different directions at once.

He often uses very specific tempo and expression markings, which have a certain flavor that I feel sometimes loses translation to English.

Any tips you guys can share from personal experience or recommendations of recordings that are good to follow the score by?

Sergeant Rock:

--- Quote from: Greta on June 04, 2007, 05:57:53 PM ---
Any tips you guys can share from personal experience or recommendations of recordings that are good to follow the score by?

--- End quote ---

Chailly's recordings are particularly transparent. Boulez is good too.

Sarge

MishaK:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 05, 2007, 01:45:50 PM ---Chailly's recordings are particularly transparent.
--- End quote ---

And particularly transparently recorded, too.

Larry Rinkel:

--- Quote from: Greta on June 04, 2007, 05:57:53 PM ---Any tips you guys can share from personal experience or recommendations of recordings that are good to follow the score by?

--- End quote ---

You might try looking at the more lightly scored works first, such as the Rueckert, Wayfarer, and Kindertotenlieder cycles. The Adagietto of 5th and the whole of the 4th are also not as heavily orchestrated as some of the big works like 2, 3, and 8.

But in honesty, I doubt any particular choice of recording is the answer. The real question is how experienced you are in reading scores to begin with. One thing to remember is that even densely scored textures quite often reflect only several actual parts. Sometimes it helps to focus on a particular instrumental choir or even a single instrument when first reading a score.

mahlertitan:
i tried to read his scores once, but gave up in matter of minutes, too hard.

you should download noteworthycomposer, why? because you can read and hear the symphony at the same time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version