Salut, mes nouveaux amis!

Started by Tapkaara, July 21, 2009, 08:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapkaara

Hi all!

My name is Erik and I am new here. Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to joining the discussions!

I live in Lakeside, CA which is a rural area about 30 minutes to the north-east of downtown San Diego.

My two favorite composers are Akira Ifukube and Jean Sibelius. Of course, I love many others, too.

I've been listening to classical music for about half my life but I've gotten really serious about it within the last 4 years or so. It is truly addicting and it's a wonderfully enriching hobby.

Other intrests include old horror films, radio communications, physical fitness and foreign languages. Oh yes, and alcoholic beverages. (Single malt Scotch, please!)

Anyway, thanks for having me!

bhodges

Hi Erik, and welcome! 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Elgarian

Erik! Welcome, indeed! Pull up a log, stir up the fire, and let's listen to the sound of the wind in the pines on the snow-swept slopes, and ponder the Great Man's music.

Oh, and let's wash it all down with a dram of Ardbeg.

ChamberNut

Tapkaara

Quote from: Elgarian on July 21, 2009, 09:16:20 AM
Erik! Welcome, indeed! Pull up a log, stir up the fire, and let's listen to the sound of the wind in the pines on the snow-swept slopes, and ponder the Great Man's music.

Oh, and let's wash it all down with a dram of Ardbeg.

Elgarian...how nice to see you here. Refreshing, isn't it...we don't have to put up with the monopolized 'Latest Purchases' thread here, do we?

This forum is incredible...the amount of discussion happing here is almost too vast.

Ardbeg...oooooooh yes...!

Tapkaara

ChamberNut

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 09:28:20 AM
Elgarian...how nice to see you here. Refreshing, isn't it...we don't have to put up with the monopolized 'Latest Purchases' thread here, do we?

You can just go to the Purchases Today thread if you need some 'breast beating'.  ;D

I thought I recognized your name from another forum.  :)  Lots of interesting threads here.

Tapkaara

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 21, 2009, 09:31:37 AM
You can just go to the Purchases Today thread if you need some 'breast beating'.  ;D

I thought I recognized your name from another forum.  :)  Lots of interesting threads here.

I recognize you, too. I'm kind of over "the other one." This forum looks like a MUCH better place. The amount of in depth conversation here looks overwhelming!

bhodges

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 09:33:28 AM
The amount of in depth conversation here looks overwhelming!

That's one of the things I like about GMG; it's very lively.  Almost any hour of the day there will be people here interested in talking about some aspect of classical music.  It is one of the most high-traffic forums I've seen.

--Bruce

Tapkaara

Quote from: bhodges on July 21, 2009, 09:36:29 AM
That's one of the things I like about GMG; it's very lively.  Almost any hour of the day there will be people here interested in talking about some aspect of classical music.  It is one of the most high-traffic forums I've seen.

--Bruce

Too cool is all I can say. Too cool!!

bhodges

Erik, just send you a message...check "My Messages" on the top menu bar.  8)

--Bruce

Harry

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, another lover of Single Malt, well yes, you are most welcome! ;D

Tapkaara

Quote from: Harry on July 21, 2009, 10:19:04 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, another lover of Single Malt, well yes, you are most welcome! ;D

Bowmore, baby!

Air

Welcome Erik, yup, I'm here too.

well I feel at home already ;D
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Elgarian

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 09:28:20 AM

Actually, the 'latest purchases' thread here moves at the speed of light; but indeed, there's no trace of monopoly....

QuoteThis forum is incredible...the amount of discussion happing here is almost too vast.

It took me a long time to feel 'comfortable'; there are some immensely experienced music lovers to learn from, but also plenty of folk who are just fellow travellers on the road and happy to swap notes. Be warned though - my spending on CDs has increased quite a lot since I've been coming here!

QuoteArdbeg...oooooooh yes...!

Och aye. Stoke up the peat fire.

Harry

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 10:31:40 AM
Bowmore, baby!

Highland Park, for me at the moment, 18 years old. ;D
So good, bought 2 boxes with 6 bottles each, that will last till Christmas.

Tapkaara

Quote from: Harry on July 21, 2009, 12:04:41 PM

Would you believe I have a bottle of 18 year old Highland Park sitting right here in my office? I'm only down to a dram or two in the bottle, so I'm saving it for a special occasion...

Elgarian

Quote from: Harry on July 21, 2009, 12:04:41 PM

Never had the 18, though I'm familiar with the 12. It sounds from your investment, Harry, that those extra 6 years really count for something?

Funnily enough, the extra years don't quite work with Glenmorangie, in my opinion. The 10 year Glenmorangie is one of my very favourites, but the 15, whilst deliciously different (and significantly more expensive), isn't actually better in my view. The world of malts is a wonderfully subtle world to explore.