Salut, mes nouveaux amis!

Started by Tapkaara, July 21, 2009, 08:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapkaara

Quote from: Elgarian on July 21, 2009, 12:19:07 PM
The world of malts is a wonderfully subtle world to explore.

Kind of like music!

Diletante

Hello, Erik! I'm a language lover, too! (My native language is Spanish.)

What languages do you speak?
Orgullosamente diletante.

Tapkaara

Quote from: tanuki on July 21, 2009, 01:57:13 PM
Hello, Erik! I'm a language lover, too! (My native language is Spanish.)

What languages do you speak?

Hello Tanuki!

Aside from my perfect native English and fluent in French. I used to speak Finnish with some amount of authority, but in recent years it has fallen into disrepair.

Otherwise, I know a little bit about most of the "big" languages of the world: Italian, Spanish, German, Japanese, Chinese, etc., but I certainly do not claim to speak any of them!

In particular, I enjoy reading about origins of languages, language famlies and things like that as well.

Diletante

Cool. Any books you can recommend?

I ordered "The Stuff of Thought" and "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker from Amazon a while back. I hope they are interesting reads.
Orgullosamente diletante.

Tapkaara

Quote from: tanuki on July 21, 2009, 02:31:10 PM

I ordered "The Stuff of Thought" and "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker from Amazon a while back. I hope they are interesting reads.

Languages of the World by Kenneth Katzner is a fun one!

Brian

Quote from: tanuki on July 21, 2009, 02:31:10 PM

If I may ... excellent books. Great books for devoting equal time to reading and thinking.

Hollywood

Howdy Erik! Greetings from a SoCal gal living here in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt. Welcome aboard.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Tapkaara

Quote from: Hollywood on July 21, 2009, 11:20:33 PM
Howdy Erik! Greetings from a SoCal gal living here in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt. Welcome aboard.

Well, thank you very much. And us SoCal people are always awesome, no matter where we are!  8)

Sid

A (belated) welcome to the forum!

I'm grateful for your work in promoting Ifukube, whose music I discovered as a result. A very rewarding composer. & I also think Sibelius' Lemminkainen Suite is one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Ok well I look forward to reading your contributions to the forum...

Tapkaara

Quote from: Sid on August 02, 2009, 07:28:45 PM
A (belated) welcome to the forum!

I'm grateful for your work in promoting Ifukube, whose music I discovered as a result. A very rewarding composer. & I also think Sibelius' Lemminkainen Suite is one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Ok well I look forward to reading your contributions to the forum...

Thank you, Sid. It's great that we are here and discussing our favorite music!

secondwind

And another belated welcome!  (I try to catch up when I can. :))  I'm looking forward to your posts.

Tapkaara

Quote from: secondwind on August 03, 2009, 10:20:47 AM
And another belated welcome!  (I try to catch up when I can. :))  I'm looking forward to your posts.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

vandermolen

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 08:47:56 AM
Hi all!

My name is Erik and I am new here. Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to joining the discussions!

I live in Lakeside, CA which is a rural area about 30 minutes to the north-east of downtown San Diego.

My two favorite composers are Akira Ifukube and Jean Sibelius. Of course, I love many others, too.

I've been listening to classical music for about half my life but I've gotten really serious about it within the last 4 years or so. It is truly addicting and it's a wonderfully enriching hobby.

Other intrests include old horror films, radio communications, physical fitness and foreign languages. Oh yes, and alcoholic beverages. (Single malt Scotch, please!)

Anyway, thanks for having me!

You have already made many interesting contributions to the Group. Which old horror films do you like?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tapkaara

I like a lot of the siltent ones like Nosfertu and Phantom of the Opera. Häxan (1922) is a masterpiece. I like pretty much anything from Universal's golden age of the 30s and 40s. Also a lot of 50s sci-fi like Them! Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, etc...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Tapkaara on July 21, 2009, 08:47:56 AM
Hi all!
My name is Erik and I am new here. Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to joining the discussions!

A belated welcome, Erik (I'm the King of Procrastinators).

Quote from: Harry on July 21, 2009, 12:04:41 PM
Highland Park, for me at the moment, 18 years old. ;D
So good, bought 2 boxes with 6 bottles each, that will last till Christmas.

That's my ultimate Whisky, Harry. Of course I can't afford to buy by the case but I sip as often as possible. Some of the Islays have been mentiioned. My favorites are Bunnahabhain and the very different, and most distinct Laphroaig.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 09, 2009, 06:30:34 AM

That's my ultimate Whisky, Harry. Of course I can't afford to buy by the case but I sip as often as possible. Some of the Islays have been mentiioned. My favorites are Bunnahabhain and the very different, and most distinct Laphroaig.

Sarge

We have the same taste buds Sarge, for this would be my list too, especially the fine Bunnahabhain malts, and the lovely salty Laphroaig's, a firm malt, which is always in my personal bar.

Tapkaara

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 09, 2009, 06:30:34 AM
A belated welcome, Erik (I'm the King of Procrastinators).

Sarge

Thank you Sarge. I have enjoyed myself here quite a bit so far. Everyone continues to impress me with their knowledge of music and general politeness even if they disagree with you.

Sarastro

Quote from: Hollywood on July 21, 2009, 11:20:33 PM
Howdy Erik! Greetings from a SoCal gal living here in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.

Greeting from a SoCal dude as well! ;D Though primarily I speak barbaric and terrifying Russian.  ::)

Tapkaara

Quote from: Sarastro on August 13, 2009, 12:40:44 PM
Greeting from a SoCal dude as well! ;D Though primarily I speak barbaric and terrifying Russian.  ::)

Barbaric and terrifying Russian indeed!

Where in SoCal do you live?

Sarastro

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 13, 2009, 02:56:50 PM
Where in SoCal do you live?

Pretty much like you -- rural area about 30 minutes to the north-west of LA area. But I love the scenery and the people, and of course the school I go to, though I will transfer from here in a year. Hopefully, to the NoCal, since such hot weather is sometimes unbearable for my barbaric nordic being. 0:) Though I heard that San Diego is a very nice place weatherwise, and UCSD is a good school as well.