Gaspard de la Nuit

Started by cliftwood, July 23, 2009, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: O Mensch on July 24, 2009, 05:15:41 PM
Really? I'm not even aware of that one. On what label was that issued?

It's an old Arkadia release. Nothing left of Arkadia these days except a legacy of short-lived one-offs that are extremely hard to find.

One oddity: the packaging incorrectly lists Lugano as the concert's origin but it's since been verified that the concert took place in Helsinki.

Perhaps the greatest benefit of this disc is the better than average sound - still not great but good overall. Considering how may Michelangeli releases are bootlegs this is a nice surprise.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

71 dB

Quote from: cliftwood on July 23, 2009, 11:25:28 AM
This remarkable work...

Remarkable? I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to it. I have to listen to it more carefully. Francois-Joël Thiollier is what I have.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MishaK

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 24, 2009, 06:21:41 PM
It's an old Arkadia release. Nothing left of Arkadia these days except a legacy of short-lived one-offs that are extremely hard to find.

One oddity: the packaging incorrectly lists Lugano as the concert's origin but it's since been verified that the concert took place in Helsinki.

Perhaps the greatest benefit of this disc is the better than average sound - still not great but good overall. Considering how may Michelangeli releases are bootlegs this is a nice surprise.

Thanks. Who's the concerto with on that disc?

Drasko

Quote from: O Mensch on July 25, 2009, 06:33:55 AM

Should be this one:
Orchestra Sinfonica di Torino della RAI/Nino Sanzogno - Turin 2 January 1952 - Arkadia GI 904.1, Hunt CD 904, Urania URN 22230

That Helsinki Gaspard de la Nuit is making me very curious to hear it since Debussy Images coming from the same recital are one of the weirdest Michelangeli performances I know, very oddly slow (more than any of his earlier or later performances of those pieces I heard) with heavily pronounced pauses and certain strange sense of stillness. 

MishaK

Looks like you're right. I also wasn't aware that he had ever recorded the Valses nobles et sentimentales.

Drasko

Quote from: O Mensch on July 25, 2009, 07:48:13 AM
I also wasn't aware that he had ever recorded the Valses nobles et sentimentales.

There are two recordings, muffled sounding early 50s available on several labels and 1973 Tokyo in fine stereo on Tokyo FM (strictly HMV Japan unfortunately). Here is opening of '73 (in flac):
http://www.mediafire.com/?n4ayiyxnzot

MishaK

Drasko

Nema na čemu, i drugi put.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: O Mensch on July 25, 2009, 06:33:55 AM

Drasko's right about the orchestra and date. But sadly the performance is nothing to get excited about as the sound is dim and the piano suffers from flutter, especially noticeable in slow passages where the piano sounds as if it's under water. Rough listening.

Regarding the Valses nobles et sentimentales, it's from 1952. Once again though the sound is dim which dampens enthusiasm. 

Fortunately, as I mentioned, the sound on Gaspard more than makes this disc a treasure. It's gratifyingly clean and clear with zero distortion and the audience is dead quiet except for a solitary hack midway through the slow movement (and the applause at the end). 
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Drasko on July 25, 2009, 07:25:57 AM
That Helsinki Gaspard de la Nuit is making me very curious to hear it since Debussy Images coming from the same recital are one of the weirdest Michelangeli performances I know, very oddly slow (more than any of his earlier or later performances of those pieces I heard) with heavily pronounced pauses and certain strange sense of stillness. 

I haven't heard the Debussy from this Helsinki recital but as far as Gaspard it's free from anything that might distort the musical line - like excessive slowness.  Nothing to worry about at all, really.

In fact, I gave it a spin again just tonight and the overriding sensation after listening is just how "right" he makes it all sound. Line, dexterity, depth, mood, etc. are all in abundance. 

Perhaps he got all his whimsy out in the Debussy! 

staxomega

What do people think of Minoru Nojima? Whenever I hear it I can't make up my mind on it.

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on May 13, 2022, 08:03:14 AM
What do people think of Minoru Nojima? Whenever I hear it I can't make up my mind on it.

Love it, it's just so refined. He's a great piano player. And specifically thanks for bringing him up because I just noticed that there are some interesting things on YouTube - a Paganini Variations which I know by reputation, and a Mozart PC 27 which I don't know existed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quite a good pianist, but pales in comparison with Argerich on DG, which remains my reference for this masterpiece.

Iota

I like it. There's a lovely drifting sense of mystery in the first two movements, like a mist coming off the sea. 

aukhawk

Brian led a mini-blind comparison of Gaspard here on GMG back in 2013.  20 starters, 10 made it through to round 2 (Le Gibet) and 7 to the Final (Scarbo).  Even without the files available, the thread still makes a very good read.
To pick two favourites from this thread, Argerich (live Concertgebouw) came 20th out of 20, and (studio DG) 11th out of 20.  Michelangeli made it to the Final (twice), but four others were preferred - all pianists not mentioned so far in this thread - with the 'winner' being emphatically ahead of the rest.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21672.0.html

Of more recent candidates, I just love Jan Lisiecki's  d e a d  slow Gibet - on one of those ghastly themed compilation albums, 'Night Music'.

Mandryka

Nojima's K595 on YouTube is quite original. Makes me think if Fou Ts'Ong in the Beethoven G major concerto.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2022, 09:58:42 AM
Love it, it's just so refined. He's a great piano player. And specifically thanks for bringing him up because I just noticed that there are some interesting things on YouTube - a Paganini Variations which I know by reputation, and a Mozart PC 27 which I don't know existed.

Nojima died just a week ago. Some of his works were stolen by Joyce Hatto too.  ;D

staxomega

Did some more direct comparisons (many in the blind thread), and Herbert Schuch was a fine standout. Overall Charles Rosen is the one that impressed me the most, this one just got better the more I listened to it.  Michelangeli had that quality as well and interpretation wise they were not too dissimilar. There is sort of a matter of fact quality to both of them, Rosen communicates Ravel so well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on July 10, 2022, 02:26:52 PM
Did some more direct comparisons (many in the blind thread), and Herbert Schuch was a fine standout. Overall Charles Rosen is the one that impressed me the most, this one just got better the more I listened to it.  Michelangeli had that quality as well and interpretation wise they were not too dissimilar. There is sort of a matter of fact quality to both of them, Rosen communicates Ravel so well.

For me, it doesn't get any better than Argerich on DG:

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on July 10, 2022, 02:26:52 PM

The Rosen is one I have enjoyed too - but tell me, what are you really looking for? Or is it just a case of putting it on and seeing whether it touches the spot?