Frescobaldi, Girolamo - Italian Keyboard Pioneer!

Started by SonicMan46, July 23, 2009, 03:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Frescobaldi: Il Primo Libro di Capricci [Vartolo]

I like this music a lot. I find it to be very engaging and both calming and soothing. I also like Vartolo's playing. I find that he has a somewhat assertive touch but one which is tempered by grace and elegance. I also find the sound of the instrument used to be very appealing. A combination of the playing and the nature of the sound of the instrument allows all lines to be clearly defined, articulated and heard. It is also recorded in a complimentary and enhancing acoustic. There is good space and depth in the recording. It is a very fine and recommended presentation. 

Mandryka

This uses an Ategnati at Mantua, the organ is noble and sweet, sweeter and rounder, tubbier,  in tone than the Ategnati at Milan which Alessandrini used. Michele Fontana plays calmly, he is more inclined to introspection than brio. The performances seem very "straightforward", maybe not as poetic or mystical as others but nevertheless not unsatisfactory. All three masses, I've listened to the Sunday mass only. Some singing in the Kyrie.

https://www.antegnatisantabarbara.it/en/organ-antegnati-technical-data.asp
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Mandryka

Very thought provoking essay by Francesco Corti in his new Fresconbaldi oriented CD - on the tension qua performer between the requirements of spontaneity and firm score based direction in the music of the period. 

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/88/000158288.pdf

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mandryka

Information about Ivana Valotti here

https://www.consmi.it/it/didattica/docenti/5488/valotti-ivana

This sounds wonderful to me, performance and organ, and I'm particularly pleased to have a new recording collecting all Bk 2 toccatas together - since I'm not totally clear still about the differences stylistically between the two collections of music. Her CV on the Milan Conservatory website says that her recording of Bk 1 is imminent.

The downer is that I can't find the booklet online - and she's a real scholar so it could well be interesting to read. If anyone finds it, please say.

(I really feel like writing to her and asking what she thinks of Vartolo - but my Italian isn't up to it!)

(And listening to it I'm getting clearer about Bks 1 and 2 - some of this music is really complicated! Thought after hearing Toccatas 5 and 6.)

Mandryka

Leonhardt used a harpsichord in Nuremberg, the Giusti 1681, for the Capricci. Hogwood used it too for his Frescobaldi  recording. I think the sound engineers revealed a stronger lower register for Hogwood, and that makes Leonhardt's instrument sound relatively sour. I do not know which is more truthful. I have an amateur transfer from LP, but if anything, that's worse. The image above is not a Japanese remastering.