20th c. Dutch symphonic music * 7 LP-box-set sell

Started by violinconcerto, June 16, 2009, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

I am selling right now a 7 LP box set with symphonic music from modern Dutch composers at ebay.com.
The set was released by the Dutch radio and contains orchestral works by famous composers like Pijper, Badings, Hemel, Delden, Escher, Leeuw, Strategier, Otterloo, Baaren, Schat, Flothuis, Roos, Heppener, Giltay, Henkemans, Landre, Kruyf and Diepenbrock. Please check out at:

auction

Thanks for looking!

Best,
Tobias

violinconcerto

Christo

Quote from: violinconcerto on June 16, 2009, 09:58:56 AM
I am selling right now a 7 LP box set with symphonic music from modern Dutch composers at ebay.com.
The set was released by the Dutch radio and contains orchestral works by famous composers like Pijper, Badings, Hemel, Delden, Escher, Leeuw, Strategier, Otterloo, Baaren, Schat, Flothuis, Roos, Heppener, Giltay, Henkemans, Landre, Kruyf and Diepenbrock.

Well, the box set is definitely interesting.  :) But to call composers like Roos, Giltay or Kruyf "famous" is a slight exaggeration.  0:)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

violinconcerto

OK, some kind of famous are just the first ones. To be honest: which Dutch composer is really famous?

Christo

Quote from: violinconcerto on June 26, 2009, 04:09:28 AM
OK, some kind of famous are just the first ones. To be honest: which Dutch composer is really famous?

Well, let's see. Perhaps Hildegard von Bingen? Or Schütz? Or Sweelinck?   0:) ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

violinconcerto

Hildegard von Bingen was (most likely) born in a village which is now located in Germany. OK, thousands years ago there was nothing like "Germany", but I would count here as "German" anyway. She is famous, but she isn't Dutch!  ;)

And wtf is Schütz and Sweelinck??  ;D Never heard of. A really famous Dutch composer seems hard to find...

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: violinconcerto on June 26, 2009, 04:51:15 AM
And wtf is Schütz and Sweelinck??  ;D

Heinrich Schütz (1585-1672) was undoubtedly a German, from Saxony, and probably the first great German composer.

Sweelinck actually was Dutch.  :) But how good is he?  ???
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Christo

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 26, 2009, 05:04:26 AM
Heinrich Schütz (1585-1672) was undoubtedly a German, from Saxony, and probably the first great German composer.

Sweelinck actually was Dutch.  :) But how good is he?  ???

I knew you would bite!  8) The point being, that until 1648 the territories of "the Netherlands" were still part of the Holy Roman Empire. Which means that all composers from that empire (which consisted of many hundreds, even thousands, different territories with different political relations to the empire) may be called "German", but also "Dutch", or "Belgian" or "Czech" or any other later nationality of your choice, provided there is a direct territorial and historical link to the Holy Roman Empire.

To call all composers from the Holy Roman Empire simply "German" would be an anachronism and would often be a misnomer. And to call Sweelinck, who lived from 1562 till 1621 and who didn't live to see "the Netherlands" as an independent country "actually Dutch" is also an anachronism. You might also call him "German", if you wish, because there was no country called "the Netherlands" yet. At least: not an officially recognized and independent country.  0:)

springrite

I will simply call them all "Euro-Zone Composers"...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Christo on June 26, 2009, 05:29:00 AM
To call all composers from the Holy Roman Empire simply "German" would be an anachronism and would often be a misnomer. And to call Sweelinck, who lived from 1562 till 1621 and who lived to see "the Netherlands" as an officially independent country "actually Dutch" is also an anachronism. You might also call him "German", if you wish, because there was no country called "the Netherlands" yet. At least: not an officially recognized and independent country.  0:)

Can we call Sweelinck "Spanish"? That's who was ruling his homeland at the time, right?  ;D

As for the Holy Roman Empire, someone once said it was "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire"
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

springrite

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 26, 2009, 05:39:58 AM

As for the Holy Roman Empire, someone once said it was "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire"

Sounds just like "New" "Mexico".
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Christo

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 26, 2009, 05:39:58 AM
Can we call Sweelinck "Spanish"? That's who was ruling his homeland at the time, right?  ;D

That's a common mistake. No, you can't call him "Spanish" because the Netherlands were not a part of the Spanish empire, and never were, but of the Holy Roman Empire (until 1648). The king of Spain (Philip II) was also lord (or king) of the Netherlands, and these territories revolted against the king, not against "Spain" (but that was the popular formula, of course).

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 26, 2009, 05:39:58 AMAs for the Holy Roman Empire, someone once said it was "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire"

Voltaire, in the 18th century when his observation was rather apt.  ;)

violinconcerto

RE-LISTED the item due to non-paying seller!
Check our here:

ebay auction

So take care of ebay user: ururu_sarara, a guy called Marco della Porta from Rome, Italy! He won the first auction but paid no money and did not answer any e-mails!

violinconcerto

OK, the item just received a bid of 1 US$, which is ridiculous. Anyone here interested in the box set? Or do I have to dump it into the bin?

Slezak

To help out "Violinconcerto", I can say that I am familiar with these Dutch composers' works, and most of them are superb composers. I think Alphons Diepenbrock, Willem von Otterloo(also a famous conductor), and Henk Badings are pretty well-known. If you're willing to take a chance, I think you'll find these works worth listening to.  SS

violinconcerto

Hi Slezak,

thanks for your words, but if you check out my website at www.violinconcerto.de you will see that I am not willing to give the symphonies a chance  ;)
I just want to sell this box for a reasonable price.

Best,
Tobias

Que

Slezak

To Violinconcerto: My statement of give the things a chance was to your prospective buyers for the set, not you. 'Hope someone buys them.  SS

violinconcerto

violinconcerto

Quote from: Slezak on July 24, 2009, 05:15:21 AM
  To Violinconcerto: My statement of give the things a chance was to your prospective buyers for the set, not you. 'Hope someone buys them.  SS

OK, I understand. Thanks for that, but its too late. The ebay auction already ended and 1 US$ did not meet the reserve price.