Reinhold Gliere (1875-1956)

Started by vandermolen, April 08, 2007, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2019, 04:06:58 PM
I also like that CD for 'The Bronze Horseman Suite'.
Surely BBC recordings series is the most complete.IMHO sound quality isn't at height.

lordlance

This is hardly a 'solemn' overture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LeyAEyty-Q but fun music nonetheless!
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Peter Power Pop

Road Music: Chewing Up the Miles to Glière's The Red Poppy

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ph_J9gD6014

Symphonic Addict

Absolutely splendorous music! I have a weakness for works with soaring melodies, shimmering orchestration, late-Romantic lyricism and exotic elements like this utterly fun ballet. One of my discoveries of this year. It receives a most committed performance here (I think it's the only one available).

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

I saw it Petersburg orchestra is superior

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 27, 2023, 05:51:06 PMI saw it Petersburg orchestra is superior

Looks like a lovely staging, but the acoustics is not the best.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

joachim

Reinhold Gliere is one of my favorite Russian composers (I should say Ukrainian since he was born in kyiv). I listened to many of his works, and I must say that I loved them all: his 3 symphonies, his concertos, his symphonic overtures and poems, octet, sextet and other chamber music. I particularly like the Red Poppy, but for his other ballets, I only listened to the suites.
I don't think anyone here has mentioned the Zaporozhian Cossacks yet, you can find it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJY489x_8U4

Roasted Swan

The unusual Concerto for Coloratura Soprano definitely deserves a mention!

vandermolen

I like this recording of the underrated 2nd Symphony
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

W.A. Mozart

How do you rate this piece?

Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Joann Falletta.

Symphonic Addict

I can't help being a sucker for this epic symphony. I love the work even though many consider it trash and it continues impressing me whenever I listen to it. So I voted excellent.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 23, 2023, 07:55:24 AMHow do you rate this piece?

One thing you can be assured of with Gliere: as long as you can listen with sufficient fidelity and volume so that the music can have its effect, then what you hear is what you get.  And the Falletta recording is an effective one.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Løvfald on April 23, 2023, 08:25:30 AMI can't help being a sucker for this epic symphony. I love the work even though many consider it trash and it continues impressing me whenever I listen to it. So I voted excellent.

Absolutely agree,  Not sure who considers it "trash".  It is a quite unique and genuinely epic piece.  I like the old Faberman/RPO recording because he really stretches the time frame and embraces the sheer scale of the work.  Not that fussed about this Faletta version although others seem to like it.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 23, 2023, 08:46:32 AMAbsolutely agree,  Not sure who considers it "trash".  It is a quite unique and genuinely epic piece.  I like the old Faberman/RPO recording because he really stretches the time frame and embraces the sheer scale of the work.  Not that fussed about this Faletta version although others seem to like it.

There's a tendency among many listeners where lengthy works and/or that feature huge orchestras are treated like inferior pieces or junk, including several works by Strauss, Respighi and composers alike, which to me is utterly nonsense, of course. IIRC, the guy who mustn't be named (DH) refered to Glière's 3rd in that way. But anyway, that Farberman recording made a strong impression on me as well, despite being slow it makes a great impact. Downes on Chandos is also a favorite.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Quote from: Løvfald on April 23, 2023, 10:51:19 AMThere's a tendency among many listeners where lengthy works and/or that feature huge orchestras are treated like inferior pieces or junk, including several works by Strauss, Respighi and composers alike, which to me is utterly nonsense, of course.

I can have that tendency to do this with sprawling works, although I never write off music (never junk for me either) and eventually return again. I have successfully 'rediscovered' music I had previously discarded many times.

When I listen to absolute music, I am often following structurally as well as musically, and I tend to lose my way in very long works. If the composer or performers set enough checkmarks or goalposts in the music, I find I enjoy myself more.

This might explain why I take more to Glière's first two symphonies, particularly the 2nd, rather than his 3rd.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on April 23, 2023, 07:55:24 AMHow do you rate this piece?

Very highly - both the magnificent, epic, sprawling symphony and that particular performance - one of the best I think.
Nathan Rakhlin's Russian Disc recording is not to be missed either.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I think this one is excellent.  Neemi Jarvi. 

I also love Nathan Rakhlin's which to me really highlights the Rimsky-Korsakov qualities. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 23, 2023, 04:42:26 PMI think this one is excellent.  Neemi Jarvi. 

I also love Nathan Rakhlin's which to me really highlights the Rimsky-Korsakov qualities. 
Is that a live Concert? I wasn't aware of any recording by any Jarvi!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on April 23, 2023, 04:42:26 PMI think this one is excellent.  Neemi Jarvi. 

The Rakhlin was the first version I ever owned on LP and yes I agree its very good - but isn't it slightly cut (in the performing tradition of the time)?  Or am I mixing it up with Ormandy who definitely is cut - if not as much as Stokowski!  Thankyou for the link to Jarvi - just dipped into it.  Just the sort of work Jarvi does well and the WDR Koln are a great band.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 23, 2023, 10:44:19 PMIs that a live Concert? I wasn't aware of any recording by any Jarvi!

I had the same query and checked the YouTube listing - no date but a recording (presumably in concert) by the WDR Koln - the YouTube poster mentions a brief radio-caused fade-out