Reinhold Gliere (1875-1956)

Started by vandermolen, April 08, 2007, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Often derided (by Shostakovich for one) and the composer of the massive "overblown" "Ilya Muromets" symphony, I have rather a soft spot for Gliere.  I had the great good fortune to hear Ilya Muromets live in London a few years ago (the first UK performance of the complete work since 1912!) and greatly enjoyed it.  Ok, it is a sprawling epic but wonderfully atmospheric and moving in the doomed apotheosis of the final movement.  I like Symphony 2 also.

any other views on Gliere?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

PerfectWagnerite

I think he's pretty much a hack myself but hey if you dig the big Romantic Wagnerian works then maybe you'll like him.

Like Shostakovich should be saying anything, didn't he come up with such hack-jobs like the 2nd and 3rd symphonies?

Catison

Ilya Muromets was one of my first loves.  I listen to it all the time.  I am not sure if it is quality or nostalgia, but it is still one of my favorite pieces.  His other music is OK.  My favorite recording is Downes.
-Brett

Harry

Well I have the Chandos recordings of his Symphonies, and I find them to be very good.
Some chamber works also.
I think him a melodic and creative composer, that has many things to say, and gets rather little exposure.
But I am grateful for what there is.

carlos

Have his SQ 1 and 2, S.sextet, S.octet and violin concerto.
Love it all. Very russian and very romantic. Old fashioned?.Maybe. But I've russian blood and just looove romantic music. ;) ;) ;)
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Brian

Just listened to the first two movements of Ilya Muromets (Donald Johanos/Slovak Radio SO). Wow!!!!!!!! Really sumptuous fun music; I especially loved the opening bars of the second movement, with the creepy strings.  8)

scottscheule

Know little of him.  But I believe he composed the Red Poppy, which I've enjoyed.

Catison

Quote from: scottscheule on April 09, 2007, 12:51:23 PM
Know little of him.  But I believe he composed the Red Poppy, which I've enjoyed.

Do you have the full ballet?  Which recording?
-Brett

Harry

Well I discovered I have the Naxos recording, and my listening notes said good music, not so good performance.

scottscheule

Quote from: Catison on April 09, 2007, 01:53:15 PM
Do you have the full ballet?  Which recording?

I do not.  I heard it on ClassicalJunk, a while ago.

http://www.classicaljunk.net/

Catison

Quote from: Harry on April 09, 2007, 02:06:52 PM
Well I discovered I have the Naxos recording, and my listening notes said good music, not so good performance.

That is exactly my opinion.  The sound is horrible and the playing completely laughable occasionally, but the first 5 minutes or so is great.  I was wishing Chandos would release a complete performance, but I doubt they are going to any time soon.
-Brett

Heather Harrison

I haven't heard much of his music (yet), but I love his Concerto for Coloratura Soprano and Orchestra.  It is a gorgeous, melodic, highly romantic piece and it has an unusual choice of solo instrument for a concerto.  I will have to check out more of his music.

Heather

Brian

Quote from: Harry on April 09, 2007, 02:06:52 PM
Last night, though, I was blown totally away by the Naxos discs of the Second and Third Symphonies. Unbelievable music! Wow. Everything about the music was stunning, the writing, the sheer epic epicness, the orchestration, the performances. And the Slovak Radio Symphony has never sounded better (they were almost world class!).

Harry

Quote from: brianrein on April 09, 2007, 06:04:23 PM
Last night, though, I was blown totally away by the Naxos discs of the Second and Third Symphonies. Unbelievable music! Wow. Everything about the music was stunning, the writing, the sheer epic epicness, the orchestration, the performances. And the Slovak Radio Symphony has never sounded better (they were almost world class!).

If you say so Brian, then I will try them next to the Chandos.
Will let you know if I agree. :)

Harry

Quote from: Catison on April 09, 2007, 02:15:39 PM
That is exactly my opinion.  The sound is horrible and the playing completely laughable occasionally, but the first 5 minutes or so is great.  I was wishing Chandos would release a complete performance, but I doubt they are going to any time soon.

Its funny, that that was the exact thing I wrote, that after five minutes or so I switched it off, the unbearable sillyness of playing.
That's one big Naxos dud, as there ever was! ;D

Harry

Quote from: scottscheule on April 09, 2007, 02:11:23 PM
I do not.  I heard it on ClassicalJunk, a while ago.

http://www.classicaljunk.net/

Yeah, that's were it belongs, Classic Junk!

carlos

And his harp concerto is one of the most beautiful
I know.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Harry

Quote from: carlos on April 10, 2007, 03:58:17 AM
And his harp concerto is one of the most beautiful
I know.

True my friend it is beautiful!

Brian

Quote from: Harry on April 09, 2007, 10:31:11 PM
If you say so Brian, then I will try them next to the Chandos.
Will let you know if I agree. :)
Okay. I'd never heard anything by Gliere until the other evening when I tried the Naxos Symphonies 2 and 3, so if you judge a favored recording it may be on my shelf very soon.  :) 

Oh and the Slovak Radio Symphony actually has sounded better, on Kalman's operetta "Die Csardasfurstin". Forgot about that CD in my excitement  ;)

Brian

Just wanted to bump this thread up because I've been listening to Gliere again lately and still love his music.  :)  Ilya Muromets is ... well unique. In a sprawling, sumptuous, wondrous way.