Reinhold Gliere (1875-1956)

Started by vandermolen, April 08, 2007, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on June 24, 2016, 10:15:27 PM
A little late-nite Spanish Rice, with home-grown tomatoes, and Gliere.   :)
Which Gliere?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

And all washed down with a nice glass of fizzy Popov! :)

cilgwyn

The Rakhlin recording is available on Russian disc s/h (from a certain ubiquitous Seller,I might add!) and Bearac. I think the latter is a download,or they can provide a cd copy? (Would that be a cd-r?) I will have a good look at their website a bit later. How does the sound quality differ from the Russian Disc,I wonder?
I have to say,my all time favourite is the old Unicorn recording. It's the one I grew up with. I love the glacial tempi,the feeling of timelessness and a remote,mysterious past it evokes. Every other performance I have heard sounds too rushed. I am perfectly happy with it. Very happy,indeed! That said,I know some people don't like his approach at all. If you like your Gliere more up tempo,I can't fault Downes;which has the advantage of the celebrated (I love it!) Chandos sound. That said,my copy went to the charity shop two or three years ago!

NB: According to a review under the relevant cd,Russian Disc "totally botched" the sound! ???

Mirror Image

I really enjoy this recording of Ilya Murometz from Harold Farberman/RPO:

I can't say I know many others but I have heard, and own, the Downes and Bostein, but don't remember much about them.

cilgwyn

That's the one. I've got the original Unicorn (fat box) release without the Cello Concerto! The only one I need or want,quite frankly. We all respond differently,however;so if Rakhlin gets Vandermole going,or Downes;I can quite understand. For me it's the slow tempi that makes it for me. Yet,Faberman's approach is never flabby. He has an iron grip which never lets go;and he knows how to make the music breathe in the slower,quieter bits. The second movement is sensuous,you really feel the lure of those forest maidens. They'd have me! I'd be be doing the washing up and (*censored!*) more!! ??? ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 25, 2016, 06:46:21 AM
That's the one. I've got the original Unicorn (fat box) release without the Cello Concerto! The only one I need or want,quite frankly. We all respond differently,however;so if Rakhlin gets Vandermole going,or Downes;I can quite understand. For me it's the slow tempi that makes it for me. Yet,Faberman's approach is never flabby. He has an iron grip which never lets go;and he knows how to make the music breathe in the slower,quieter bits. The second movement is sensuous,you really feel the lure of those forest maidens. They'd have me! I'd be be doing the washing up and (*censored!*) more!! ??? ;D
I have the Faberman too - in all its CD incarnations (fat box, Regis, Alto  ::)). It is a terrific version - one of the best. Rakhlin is certainly my favourite one disc version and I have recently been enjoying the Downes recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

The string quartets - but I went to bed before the 2nd was over.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on June 25, 2016, 08:40:23 AM
The string quartets - but I went to bed before the 2nd was over.
Thank you!

PerfectWagnerite

Anyone know if there is a complete RED POPPY other than this one?

vandermolen

cilgwyn

I thought it was Brian Blessed for a moment!! ???

arpeggio

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 30, 2016, 02:26:46 PM
Anyone know if there is a complete RED POPPY other than this one?

Added this to my wish list.

PerfectWagnerite

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: arpeggio on October 02, 2016, 07:20:55 AM
Added this to my wish list.
yes it is very cheap on Amazon. I suppose the plot of the ballet doesn't lend itself well to present day politics so no one is going to record it.

vandermolen

cilgwyn

I'M AN ACT-ORR,VANDERMOLEN!! ;D
I'm surprised,and a little disappointed,that the Soviets never seemed to have recorded the ballet complete. I thought I remembered seeing it in those old catalogues from Collets and the Russian Record Company. This could be the recording;although the one listed may have had different artwork. I would like to hear it with the old style Russian brass rasping away! The cd reissue on the Olympia label was coupled with Knipper's Fourth,which may not be for the faint hearted,even if you could find,or afford a secondhand copy. (Although,I note that Knipper has at least one fan,judging by the review left next to the Amazon uk listing!)

SymphonicAddict

Time to revive this thread.

I don't know why I waited so long to listen to this CD with two lovely works: the String Octet in D major and the String Sextet Nr. 3 in C major

Both works have that so characteristic tasteful Russian air with strong melodic material. However, the Octet made a bigger impression on me. There are simply incredible and catchy melodies that haunt you for some days, especially on the 1st movement, some incredibly lovely music that melts your heart, at least it was made on me. The movements 2 and 4 have infectious folksy nature, while the 3rd is almost elegiac but not much, therefore is rather touching.

Glière was not only a master in orchestral works but also in chamber ones, and these works are proof of it.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 26, 2018, 08:56:17 PM
Time to revive this thread.

I don't know why I waited so long to listen to this CD with two lovely works: the String Octet in D major and the String Sextet Nr. 3 in C major

Both works have that so characteristic tasteful Russian air with strong melodic material. However, the Octet made a bigger impression on me. There are simply incredible and catchy melodies that haunt you for some days, especially on the 1st movement, some incredibly lovely music that melts your heart, at least it was made on me. The movements 2 and 4 have infectious folksy nature, while the 3rd is almost elegiac but not much, therefore is rather touching.

Glière was not only a master in orchestral works but also in chamber ones, and these works are proof of it.

I know none of his chamber music so many thanks for posting this Cesar. More temptation of course but clearly I need to hear this one!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 26, 2018, 10:36:36 PM
I know none of his chamber music so many thanks for posting this Cesar. More temptation of course but clearly I need to hear this one!

These works are good fun. They should appeal to your tastes!

SymphonicAddict

Just I found this on YouTube:

String octet in D major

https://www.youtube.com/v/g8hw5X92xhE

and the String sextet No. 3 in C major

https://www.youtube.com/v/tI13ZUJp4CQ

As I said previously on this thread, this is LOVELY stuff. Please, take a listen to these works. Some early pieces with an incredible potential.