Which Brahms Piano Concerti would YOU choose ...

Started by Mark, June 05, 2007, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

Gilels is one of my top 10 pianists, so, yeah...  ;D

Lilas Pastia

For a set, none surpass Gilels-Jochum-BPO. For alternative #1, I'd go with the hugely different Arrau-Kubelik and Donohoe-Svetlanov. For alternative # 2, Backhaus-Bohm-VPO is surpassingly gorgeous, and Magaloff-van Otterloo is searingly intense. If the orchestra had been the Amsterdam instead of the Hague, it would have eclipsed all competition, including the rather similarly conceived Richter(s).

orbital

Quote from: Mark on June 05, 2007, 04:13:47 PM
This said, I think I'm gonna have to splash out on both ... and ditch the Biret performances on Naxos.

I would not ditch Biret with anything Brahms. Given I've not heard the concerti, her solo Brahms piano music is excellent IMO. But of course, if you're getting only one, it's better not to take chances  :)

orbital

Rubinstein is almost never mentioned in this material. Are they bad? I've never heard them although his work in trios feels like he's right at home with Brahms.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: orbital on June 05, 2007, 05:17:31 PM
Rubinstein is almost never mentioned in this material. Are they bad? I've never heard them although his work in trios feels like he's right at home with Brahms.

Rubinstein is phenomenal in all of Brahms chamber music. I wonder if he ever recorded any of the solo piano music. I'd be curious to try some of that.

op.110

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on June 05, 2007, 05:27:20 PM
Rubinstein is phenomenal in all of Brahms chamber music. I wonder if he ever recorded any of the solo piano music. I'd be curious to try some of that.

I've heard some recordings of various intermezzi. Nothing special.

Steve

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on June 05, 2007, 05:27:20 PM

I wouldn't use 'phenomenal' to describe Rubinstein's Brahms....

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Steve on June 05, 2007, 06:02:57 PM
I wouldn't use 'phenomenal' to describe Rubinstein's Brahms....

His recording of the Piano Quartets is unmatched as far as i'm concerned. I'd say that's phenomenal enough. Of course, Guarneri get's a lot of praise there, as well.

op.110

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on June 05, 2007, 06:06:05 PM
His recording of the Piano Quartets is unmatched as far as i'm concerned. I'd say that's phenomenal enough. Of course, Guarneri get's a lot of praise there, as well.

Interestingly, I was having a conversation with someone today on Brahms and she told me that Rubinstein's recording (with Guarneri) of the Piano Quartets is the best she's heard.

Steve

The Guarneri is more deserving of praise as far as I'm concerned.

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Iago

In the Richter/Leinsdorf/CSO recording, Richter is marvelous. But as is usually the case Leinsdorf should have stayed at home.
He was substituting for an ailing Fritz Reiner. He didn't do his job (very rarely did) and the CSO would have been better off with no conductor at all.
I will never understand why or how he got the job of Music Diretor of the Boston Symphony. In my view, he was somewhat successful in opera, but a total incompetent in concert.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Que

Quote from: orbital on June 05, 2007, 05:17:31 PM

Rubinsteins' recordings of the concertos are magnificent, one of my favourites.
He did several, but best are the no.1 with Reiner and the no.2 with Krips - marvelous!

Quote from: op.110 on June 05, 2007, 07:44:11 PM
Interestingly, I was having a conversation with someone today on Brahms and she told me that Rubinstein's recording (with Guarneri) of the Piano Quartets is the best she's heard.

Word. 8)
(And add the piano quintet).

Q

Mark

Quote from: orbital on June 05, 2007, 05:13:15 PM
I would not ditch Biret with anything Brahms. Given I've not heard the concerti, her solo Brahms piano music is excellent IMO. But of course, if you're getting only one, it's better not to take chances  :)

The problem with the Biret Brahms Piano Concerti is not so much her playing as the orchestral work. I'm not an expert by any means in evaluating recordings of these works, but the Naxos ones seem to lack 'snap' ... and they're spoiled for me by what I hear as a 'congested' recorded sound. It all gets a bit too muddy for my liking. :(

Mark

Quick update: I've gone with this to kick off with:

Completely contrary to my original intentions, but that's me all over. ;D

George

Quote from: Mark on June 06, 2007, 01:19:09 AM
The problem with the Biret Brahms Piano Concerti is not so much her playing as the orchestral work. I'm not an expert by any means in evaluating recordings of these works, but the Naxos ones seem to lack 'snap' ... and they're spoiled for me by what I hear as a 'congested' recorded sound. It all gets a bit too muddy for my liking. :(

You'll love the Szell/Serkin recording. It's just what the doctor ordered.

Mark

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 05:29:53 AM
You'll love the Szell/Serkin recording. It's just what the doctor ordered.

Let's see how Freire handles them, first. Then Gilels. Then Serkin if I'm still not satisfied. ;D

George

Quote from: Mark on June 06, 2007, 05:33:57 AM
Let's see how Freire handles them, first. Then Gilels. Then Serkin if I'm still not satisfied. ;D

On second thought, the Serkin may not suit your sonic needs anyway.  :) 

Mark

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 05:35:53 AM
On second thought, the Serkin may not suit your sonic needs anyway.  :) 

I did wonder about that, actually.

Todd

Quote from: Mark on June 05, 2007, 03:57:26 PMAnd as an aside, what opinions do you have of this?

A bit late perhaps, but it's good.  Better can be had.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya