Which Brahms Piano Concerti would YOU choose ...

Started by Mark, June 05, 2007, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: Que on June 05, 2007, 10:01:32 PM
Rubinsteins' recordings of the concertos are magnificent, one of my favourites.
He did several, but best are the no.1 with Reiner and the no.2 with Krips - marvelous!

Word. 8)
(And add the piano quintet).

Q
Thanks Que, the problem with some of the Rubinstein CD's is that there is just one concerto on the CD (what, like 43-46 minutes?) Gimme some fillers  ;D

(And add the trios, please)

George

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 06:06:07 AM
Thanks Que, the problem with some of the Rubinstein CD's is that there is just one concerto on the CD (what, like 43-46 minutes?) Gimme some fillers  ;D

(And add the trios, please)

Looks like those have fillers.  :-\

BTW, Que, what are the recording dates on the 2 PC's?

Lilas Pastia

Great review, Todd! The Kuerti set is sometimes hard to find, even here in Canada. I didn't hear those discs. I heard him play the second concerto in concert and it was certainly commanding. But on that occasion I also found him wifull at times, bordering on eccentricity. But a live occasion probably contains more <spur of the moment> touches than a studio recording. In this instance, I'd be incined to  think that less is more. Given your recommendation I'll try to put my hands on that set.

orbital

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 06:07:41 AM

Yes sorry, I remember seeing Rubi-Reiner with no filling at all, it was probably another label.

Mark

Quote from: Todd on June 06, 2007, 05:59:39 AM

A bit late perhaps, but it's good.  Better can be had.

Todd, thank you. You have me panting with excitement and expectation. I'm looking forward to Freire/Chailly even more now than before. :)

George

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 06:12:57 AM
Yes sorry, I remember seeing Rubi-Reiner with no filling at all, it was probably another label.

I certainly agree with your dissent with regards to underfilled CD's. Theres FAR too many CD's out there with less than 70 minutes on them. No excuse to even include a few tracks form another performer to give us a chance to sample without buying the CD....wait, now I am beginning to see. Those greedy bastards!  >:(

Hector

This is so difficult a decision that short of buying every recorded version the only option is...none.

Do you not hear both of these often enough on the radio and in the concert hall, anyway?

Who needs a recording?

orbital

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 06:19:17 AM
I certainly agree with your dissent with regards to underfilled CD's. Theres FAR too many CD's out there with less than 70 minutes on them. No excuse to even include a few tracks form another performer to give us a chance to sample without buying the CD....wait, now I am beginning to see. Those greedy bastards!  >:(
Exactly. Though I can only think of one such CD that I have and it is Pogo's Chopin preludes on DG, and they did not even bother to put the two additional preludes in there. His Scherzi CD might even be shorter

Todd

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 08:37:04 AMHis Scherzi CD might even be shorter

It is.  It doesn't need a filler.  Personally, I rather have 42 minutes of brilliant playing alone than 42 minutes of brilliant playing and an additional 30 minutes of less inspired music making or afterthoughts.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 06:07:41 AM

BTW, Que, what are the recording dates on the 2 PC's?

The no.1 with Reiner is from 1954 (Living Stereo), with fillers from 1970 - total playing time: 64' 45"  ;D
The no.2 with Krips is from 1958, with fillers from again 1970 - total playing time: 62' 41".

Q

George

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 08:37:04 AM
Exactly. Though I can only think of one such CD that I have and it is Pogo's Chopin preludes on DG, and they did not even bother to put the two additional preludes in there. His Scherzi CD might even be shorter

Would those both fit on one disc?

George

Quote from: Que on June 06, 2007, 09:05:00 AM
The no.1 with Reiner is from 1954 (Living Stereo), with fillers from 1970 - total playing time: 64' 45"  ;D
The no.2 with Krips is from 1958, with fillers from again 1970 - total playing time: 62' 41".

Q

Thanks.  :)

I guess I said 70 because that's still 10 mins under the limit. Usually I am happy to see 60+ on a prospective CD. 

orbital

I think that's the one I was talking about.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6810744/a/Brahms:+Piano+Concerto+no+1+%2F+Rubinstein,+Reiner,+CSO.htm
This version at least seems to be without additional tracks.

Quote from: Todd on June 06, 2007, 08:59:06 AM

It is.  It doesn't need a filler.  Personally, I rather have 42 minutes of brilliant playing alone than 42 minutes of brilliant playing and an additional 30 minutes of less inspired music making or afterthoughts.
Yes but, when it is Pogorelich this is hard to envision for me  :)

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 09:05:51 AM
Would those both fit on one disc?
No, I think the total comes to around 85+ minutes

Steve

Quote from: Mark on June 06, 2007, 05:33:57 AM
Let's see how Freire handles them, first. Then Gilels. Then Serkin if I'm still not satisfied. ;D

an you won't be... Need to have the Szell/Serkin and at least one of the Jochum..

BachQ

Quote from: Que on June 05, 2007, 10:01:32 PM
Rubinsteins' recordings of the concertos are magnificent, one of my favourites.
He did several, but best are the no.1 with Reiner and the no.2 with Krips - marvelous!

Agreed ..........

BachQ

Quote from: Mark on June 06, 2007, 04:32:05 AM
Quick update: I've gone with this to kick off with:

Completely contrary to my original intentions, but that's me all over. ;D

I truly hope that you derive immense pleasure from this purchase, Mark .........

BachQ

Quote from: Hector on June 06, 2007, 06:32:10 AM
This is so difficult a decision that short of buying every recorded version the only option is...none.

Do you not hear both of these often enough on the radio and in the concert hall, anyway?

Who needs a recording?

......... unimpeachable logic ..........

BachQ

Q

Thanks for saving me the trouble ........

FideLeo

Quote from: D Minor on June 06, 2007, 11:33:19 AM
I truly hope that you derive immense pleasure from this purchase, Mark .........

I am not Mark but this indeed gave me immense pleasure.  The Gewandhaus Orchestra
sounds like no other, including antiphonal effects from divided violin sections.  Freire's
unassuming yet glowingly lyrical playing portays a less imposing and yet more sensitive
Brahms that I found to be nearly ideal.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!