Authors to investigate (further)

Started by Henk, July 30, 2009, 12:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 05, 2011, 10:25:31 AM
I don't find any of them difficult. The length is one part of the story, but I also think that although they are stuck in their Russian context, that they novels were able to transcend that. I don't think Woolf, as much as I enjoy her work (Orlando being my favorite), was every able to escape hers.

So your reasoning is based on the abstract and immaterial. I think Virginia would have found that very amusing. Fortunately the literary world does not agree with you.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 05, 2011, 11:02:32 AM
So your reasoning is based on the abstract and immaterial. I think Virginia would have found that very amusing. Fortunately the literary world does not agree with you.

I'm sure she would have. I think we're both largely unconcerned what the literary world thinks.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 05, 2011, 11:03:24 AM
I'm sure she would have. I think we're both largely unconcerned what the literary world thinks.

Maybe but for those who do want to investigate authors further, I can but quote from Wikipedia:

Adeline Virginia Woolf (25 January 1882 – 28 March 1941) was an English author, essayist, publisher, and writer of short stories, regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 06, 2011, 01:01:39 AM
Maybe but for those who do want to investigate authors further, I can but quote from Wikipedia:

Adeline Virginia Woolf (25 January 1882 – 28 March 1941) was an English author, essayist, publisher, and writer of short stories, regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

I don't know if Wikipedia is a good reference to use as a backup. And I think we're both decided on this front.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 06, 2011, 05:04:57 AM
I don't know if Wikipedia is a good reference to use as a backup. And I think we're both decided on this front.

I'm not trying to convert you, which would be a hopeless quest, merely to encourage others. Your only reference is yourself. This is what Cambridge University Press have put out: Virginia Woolf is now hailed as one of the greatest, most innovative writers of our age.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 07, 2011, 03:42:44 AM
I'm not trying to convert you, which would be a hopeless quest, merely to encourage others. Your only reference is yourself. This is what Cambridge University Press have put out: Virginia Woolf is now hailed as one of the greatest, most innovative writers of our age.

My only point was to point out that one particular poster might not enjoy her work.

Coco

TT, I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, but you're certainly not making Woolf's writing more attractive to me.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Coco on May 07, 2011, 07:43:31 AM
TT, I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, but you're certainly not making Woolf's writing more attractive to me.

I think I made that clear but I'm only stating the mainstream opinion. It's Philoctetes who's out on a limb here. If you are not interested in innovation, originality and breadth of ideas then stick to your 'best sellers' by all means.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 08, 2011, 04:49:01 AM
I think I made that clear but I'm only stating the mainstream opinion. It's Philoctetes who's out on a limb here. If you are not interested in innovation, originality and breadth of ideas then stick to your 'best sellers' by all means.

Don't want to intrude, but if there is anyone here who likes the most adventurous authors, it's Corey (Coco). It's just that fighting for a writer with recourse to authorities isn't strong. I know Virginia Woolf's reputation. I also know that as reputations go, she is outclassed by James Joyce, who is the strongest contender for most influential Modernist writer... But all that is neither here nor there. Just make us eager to read her by your personal enthusiasm. That's all.

Btw - I read The Waves. Though a very long time ago.

And I'm a writer myself (Dutch).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Philoctetes

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 08, 2011, 04:49:01 AM

Again, I was only offering my position in regards to what I know about the reading habits of Coco.

Daedalus

My own opinion would be that Virginia Woolf was a writer of genius, with Mrs Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and The Waves amongst my personal favourites.

Also, no room for Marcel Proust in this list?

Philoctetes

Quote from: Daedalus on May 08, 2011, 09:29:54 AM
My own opinion would be that Virginia Woolf was a writer of genius, with Mrs Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and The Waves amongst my personal favourites.

Also, no room for Marcel Proust in this list?

I don't think anyone has disagreed that she's a fine writer.

Do famous authors really need even more fanfare? Woolf, Proust, etc. don't seem like they would be in need of my investigating or discovering, especially since there are a myriad of contemporary writers, of excellent quality, still unheard of.

Daedalus

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 08, 2011, 10:32:35 AM
Do famous authors really need even more fanfare? Woolf, Proust, etc. don't seem like they would be in need of my investigating or discovering, especially since there are a myriad of contemporary writers, of excellent quality, still unheard of.

What a very strange response to my post.  ???

I don't really think that it is case of what you can do for them but rather of what they can do for you!  ;)

Coco

Proust isn't in the list because I've already read In Search of Lost Time. The list isn't meant to be a canon; it's more of a guide for me to remember when I'm browsing the stacks at the library.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Daedalus on May 08, 2011, 02:05:36 PM
What a very strange response to my post.  ???

I don't really think that it is case of what you can do for them but rather of what they can do for you!  ;)

Strange?

I don't find the last sentence to seem to mean anything. Although, you added a smiley, so perhaps you were just having fun.  ;D

Ten thumbs

You may find Charles Morgan at least worthy of investigation. I remember enjoying his novels years ago when I was at school and I've heard that he is currently having a revival.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Coco on May 08, 2011, 03:14:19 PM
Proust isn't in the list because I've already read In Search of Lost Time. The list isn't meant to be a canon; it's more of a guide for me to remember when I'm browsing the stacks at the library.

I like the other title so much better.

Coco

Remembrance of Things Past? It sounds so Victorian, doesn't it?

Philoctetes

Quote from: Coco on May 09, 2011, 04:59:48 PM
Remembrance of Things Past? It sounds so Victorian, doesn't it?

Very, and I think it just suits the book so well. It's like a warm blanket.

Coco

That is the version I have — the Scott-Moncrieff. I see no reason to change it.