The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach Johannes-Passion / St. John Passion

<< < (2/31) > >>

DavidW:

--- Quote from: Coopmv on August 01, 2009, 05:47:47 AM ---The recording itself is fine but the DVD is terrible.  The cameraman shot more images of the wall and ceiling of the church where the "film" was originally shot with only occasional shots of the soloists.  My favorite mezzo of that era - Julia Hamari, only appeared on a few occasions that lasted less than a minute each.

--- End quote ---

I don't have that, I have the older one on cd with Toepper instead of Hamari.

Coopmv:

--- Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2009, 05:48:10 AM ---Yup and

St John = 1964
St Matthew = 1959

It's old school. ;D  It's not Klemperer-esque, but not Rifkin HIP either.  I think you describe Richter as part of the neo-Baroque Leipzig style, so you get lean textures and modest orchestra size.

--- End quote ---


Dave,

You are not the only fan of Karl Richter at GMG - good music is good music and it does not have to be HIP.  I have every DVD of his Bach's works - from Brandenburg Concertos to his St. John Passion.  I also have the same works spread across multiple LP sets.  Most of Richter's recordings I own are on LP.  BTW, it is very cool to watch Karl Richter conducting - very relaxed but firmly in control ...

Bogey:

--- Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2009, 05:48:10 AM ---Yup and

St John = 1964
St Matthew = 1959

It's old school. ;D  It's not Klemperer-esque, but not Rifkin HIP either.  I think you describe Richter as part of the neo-Baroque Leipzig style, so you get lean textures and modest orchestra size.

--- End quote ---


In general, how do you rate Harnoncourt in your Bach listening, David?

I have Richter's St. Matthew.  I will give that a spin again momentarily, but I remember it was what prompted me to seek out another recording in the other thread....however, I know well enough to come back to recordings that I did not care for in the past and give them a fresh listen.  Besides, the John and Matthew recordings could be totally different and I may like the other.


--- Quote from: Coopmv on August 01, 2009, 05:47:47 AM ---The recording itself is fine but the DVD is terrible.  The cameraman shot more images of the wall and ceiling of the church where the "film" was originally shot with only occasional shots of the soloists.  My favorite mezzo of that era - Julia Hamari, only appeared on a few occasions that lasted less than a minute each.

--- End quote ---

How many different St. John's do you have, Stuart?

DavidW:

--- Quote from: Coopmv on August 01, 2009, 05:55:04 AM ---

Dave,

You are not the only fan of Karl Richter at GMG - good music is good music and it does not have to be HIP.  I have every DVD of his Bach's works - from Brandenburg Concertos to his St. John Passion.  I also have the same works spread across multiple LP sets.  Most of Richter's recordings I own are on LP.  BTW, it is very cool to watch Karl Richter conducting - very relaxed but firmly in control ...

--- End quote ---

That's cool, I need to see if I can get one of those dvds from netflix. :)

Coopmv:

--- Quote from: DavidW on August 01, 2009, 05:54:27 AM ---I don't have that, I have the older one on cd with Toepper instead of Hamari.

--- End quote ---

Indeed, Richter's St Matthew Passion on LP had Janet Baker as alto while the DVD had Julia Hamari.  The DVD and the CD are two different recordings ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version