Bach Johannes-Passion / St. John Passion

Started by Bogey, August 01, 2009, 06:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasmaniac

A new release from Cantus Colln. Oddly, it's on Accent. Have they left Harmonia Mundi?

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Pat B

Bump!

A few weeks ago I mentioned Koopman's SJP (ASIN: B000005EBW) in the purchases thread and somebody asked for my thoughts on it.

Full disclosure: I've only listened to it once. I'm not familiar with other versions. My background is in string music. Normally I wouldn't post any sort of review at this point, but since someone asked:

I thought it was really good.

Hope that helps. :D

Marc

Agreed. :)

Quote from: Marc on March 02, 2010, 02:44:51 AM
[....] Somehow I feel that the Johannes-Passion is closer to Koopman's own personality than the Matthäus. At least I prefer his studio recording of the first by far. The latter sounding too much 'investigated' and studious, IMO. [....]

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Marc

Marc

A new (live) recording by Peter Dijkstra and his Bayerischer/Kölner forces:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-John-Passion-Tilman-Lichdi/dp/B018KT7E88/?tag=goodmusicguideco

I listened to Part 1 and I think I slightly like it better than his recording of the Matthäus-Passion, buy maybe that's mainly caused by the lady vocalists.

prémont

Well. Dijkstras SJP as well as his other Bach recordings are on my wishlist, but I have to take my wallet into account
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gorio1968

Please can I thank all of you who posted, this has proved very helpful. I have relied on the Gardiner for years and decided I really should treat myself to another recording. After reading all your suggestions I have gone with Herreweghe but added the 2017 Minkowski. I would be interested in any opinions of the Minkowski.

Mandryka

Quote from: Gorio1968 on March 07, 2018, 04:16:09 AM
but added the 2017 Minkowski. I would be interested in any opinions of the Minkowski.

Thrilling, lots of momentum forward. I enjoyed the sound of it, as a sensual/visceral sonic experience.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gorio1968

Mandryka

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gorio1968

For a few years, Gardiners was the only copy I had and it will always be special. I do enjoy Minkowski's and feel the review was harsh, however now I want to listen to Jeannette Sorrell's recording. I never seem to be content with one recording of Bach's music.

prémont

Quote from: Gorio1968 on March 12, 2018, 06:45:25 AM
I never seem to be content with one recording of Bach's music.

Don't worry. This is a good prerequisite for participating in the discussions here.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gorio1968

Good to hear as I am not sure I have any other credentials, just a love for music - particularly Bach - a reasonable collection and an opinion. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Mandryka

Johan van Veen is very sensitive about vibrato, as far as I can see he doesn't want to hear any of it basically, in baroque music. In a recent Grigny review by him, where I liked the singing, he grumbled about vibrato which I hardly noticed at all.  I don't know if this is based on HIP considerations or just his taste or what  , , ,  but I suspect  that the issue is complicated, and may depend on where in the note the singer starts the wobbling.

Mandryka

Quote from: Gorio1968 on March 12, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Good to hear as I am not sure I have any other credentials, just a love for music - particularly Bach - a reasonable collection and an opinion. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Sorry, I was forgetting my manners and in truth, I didn't notice it was your first post. Welcome!

Gorio1968

Thankfully I missed the HIP wars, that said I prefer minimal vibrato and by default - not choice - had mainly HIP recordings available to me and bad internet access until recently. That said, I have enjoyed discovering Coates, Karajan, Shaw, Klemperer etc and their recordings of the MBM. I remember the shock of listening to a friend's Benjamin Britten recording of St. John Passion in English which I would still recommend to anyone who wanted to listen to the Passion with a very different interpretation. I am pleased that conductors like Stephen Layton now feel free to remove the straight-jacket of HIP fundamentalism and make choices based on the music alone.

Do I now need to put on protective headgear..  ;)

prémont

Quote from: Gorio1968 on March 12, 2018, 07:44:36 AM

This is a forum for music lovers, and we are many Bach lovers here, so also a warm welcome from me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

"Why isn't it allowed to sing baroque music with any vibrato, mum?"
"Because it's written, that's why!"

To some people, rule = taste.

Oh, and btw, Gorio1968, welcome here, plz enjoy the music, enjoy your own taste and enjoy the forum!