The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Admit it Bill, you cried didn't you? ;D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2009, 08:08:30 PM
Admit it Bill, you cried didn't you? ;D

When I read the book....of course I did. :)  But I did not weep uncontrollably as my wife did when she read it.  She is currently reading them with our son.  They start book 5 in the fall.  He only wants to hear one a year and savor them.  Even though he is at the point now where he could read them on his own (11 years), he looks forward to the read aloud each night.  I, on the other hand, get to read them to our daughter.  I cannot wait, but will probably let her get to mid second grade before unleashing the first one.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I kept hoping that in the final book that well a Gandalf would be pulled if you know what I mean and my code is sufficiently non-spoilerish.  Ah too bad.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2009, 08:25:03 PM
I kept hoping that in the final book that well a Gandalf would be pulled if you know what I mean and my code is sufficiently non-spoilerish.  Ah too bad.

Here is how I saw them, David:

Book 1- Nice set up, but not a lot more than this.  Enjoyable, but little more.
Book 2- I thought this was the most clever plot of the lot.  It gets kind of forgotten by most, but the hinges of the story were nothing short of brilliant.
Book 3- At one point my favorite.  Just enough darkness to worry about turning corners, but still some sparkle left.  However, after more time, #2 eeks by it.
Book 4- Just a great story.  Classic settings with the tournament and some neat visiting characters as well as the Quidditch Cup.  The cold splash at the end was a wake up, but still did not get overly dark.
Books 5-7- I lump these all together.  Fairly dark reading.  The sparkle is gone and JK has your attention because you truly do not know how she is going to play out the story when these were being released.  None of them stand out on their own for me.  However, at first I thought her wrap up a bit to unfinished in the last book, but now it works over time for me to not know everything that happened to to every single character.  In short, she new where to cut it off and not go too far, IMO.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I like that, and I think you are right #5 was when they kind of lumped together as a final trilogy.

For a long time #3 was my favorite, but even though they are dark and not as fun #6 and 7 are my favorite.  She really developed the characters and put them in difficult situations, and even when it was bleak it was never maudlin.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2009, 08:43:16 PM
I like that, and I think you are right #5 was when they kind of lumped together as a final trilogy.

For a long time #3 was my favorite, but even though they are dark and not as fun #6 and 7 are my favorite.  She really developed the characters and put them in difficult situations, and even when it was bleak it was never maudlin.  :)

I really liked how she handled Dumbledore's background/past in the end as well as Harry's parents, especially the dad.  She had a knack of making sure none were too high on the pedestals and made them even more believable.  Some nice twists I recall.  I cannot wait to read them again.

DavidW

Yeah I can't wait to reread them too!  I think there is something to be said for how people of all age groups came to love these novels. :)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2009, 08:43:16 PM

Absolutely.  I wonder if we will ever see something like this again in our lifetime.  We went to a few of the midnight book sellings and they were a lot of fun.  Neat to see folks that excited about a release of a book.

Yes.  #3 seems to be a favorite of many.  Try #2 again some time down the road.  How she uses the journal and then ties it in later is really cool.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2009, 02:29:54 PM
It's one of my favorites. :)  I love that part where they're all tied up and then one of them starts changing and they're all trying to get away BUT THEY'RE ALL TIED UP!! :D  And of course there is the spider head... ;D

0:)

Bogey

On another positive note about the 6th movie, Michael Gambon  finally seemed to nail down the role of Albus Dumbledore.  My wife and I thought Richard Harris was perfect in the first two, and did not care for his replacement.  Here though, he pulled it off.  I guess you could say just in the nick of time. ;)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on August 04, 2009, 02:49:45 PM
Garry: "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS F****** COUCH!"

Classic 'Thing' line  ;D

Yeah, I take the point that this was every bit as good, nay better than the original.  Both excellent movies.

Slightly off topic, I am Legend (as an example)...don't you hate it when the big screen screws about with the storyline.  First it was the Omega Man, they were almost there to Matheson's book but how crap were the vampires  ::)

And another moan, why is it the big movies of today have to have a 'win' situation.  We know the I am Legend ending was different in the movie which really Grinds My Gears.  I actually love it when movies end on a shocking bad point and actually end the way the author intended.

I read Denis Lehane's Shutter Island the other week, a really fine read.  Now I hear that Di Caprio is doing the movie version (no doubt they will screw around with the ending too)...make sure you read the book before the movie LOL

You discuss here two books I enjoyed.

Have you seen the Vincent Price version of I Am Legend? What's it called? The Last Man on Earth? Can't remember. Anyway, you should see it. Not perfect, but not bad either.

I enjoyed Shutter Island but many I know hated it for some reason. I think they figured out the twist well before I did.  ;D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: James on August 04, 2009, 04:48:02 PM
I'll have to check out The Thing, I haven't seen it.

a few sci-fi/horror faves...
a clockwork orange (1971)
re-animator (1985)
brazil (1985)
the fly (1986)
robocop (1987)

And there is a remake of The Wolfman that's being released in 2010 that I'm looking forward to.

Excellent list.

canninator

Just finished reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Thoroughly enjoyed it, an intelligently written, highly stylized novel sent in Victorian England in which magic is re-introduced into English Society having been lost for 300 years. Highly recommended.

Saw on DVD last week, Children of Men, based upon a PD James novel it tells of a dystopian future world (2027) in which all women are infertile and the human race faces extinction. The plot revolves around a suitably dishevelled Clive Owen who falls in with a group of dissenters who might just have the key to rescue humanity. A critical (but not box office) success at the time and I do not disagree. Superb cinematography and pacing, also highly recommended.

DavidW

Most of PD James ideas and subtle wit was lost in the movie, but yeah it's still a good adaptation.

Fëanor

Well, dah!   ;)  I suppose you can guess from my moniker that I'm a Tolkien fan, (if not fanatic). You tell given that while I thought Jackson's Lord of the Rings films were very good, I personally resented the departures from the J.R.R.'s sacred text.  Of course "Fëanor" is scarely if mentioned at all in Lord of the Rings, (probably in the Appendices), but rather in The Silmarillion which is compulsory reading if you want to understand the LoTR in its "historical" context.

My next favourite Fantasy is probably The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison.

As for Sci Fi, my hands-down favourite is The Book of the New Sun tetralogy by Gene Wolfe, plus the sequel, Urth of the New Sun.  Spoiler alert: definitely read the last last.  Like it says, "Best SF novel of the last century" ...

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Feanor on August 05, 2009, 09:41:03 AM
As for Sci Fi, my hands-down favourite is The Book of the New Sun tetralogy by Gene Wolfe, plus the sequel, Urth of the New Sun.  Spoiler alert: definitely read the last last.  Like it says, "Best SF novel of the last century" ...

You are my new best friend.

DavidW

Added to my wish list Feanor (the Gene Wolfe series). :)

Tapkaara

Here's an interesting question...which of the great composers do you think would have been particularly adept at writing an effective (and not silly) musical score for a horror film?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 05, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Here's an interesting question...which of the great composers do you think would have been particularly adept at writing an effective (and not silly) musical score for a horror film?

R. Strauss

Fëanor

Quote from: Tapkaara on August 05, 2009, 11:58:03 AM

Uhmm ... let me guess: Akira Ifukube (or Godzilla fame).  ;D