The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2014, 06:30:12 AM
About to open this one.  Merci, David!

Is good!

I read this many years ago on a flight from San Francisco to Toronto.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2014, 06:45:38 AM
Forsooth!

Trust you & the family are enjoying the summer, Bill!

Doing great. Thanks.  How is the Pulse? 

30 pages in and enjoying it. Love his vocabulary.  Just enough "not explaining everything" moments to keep it fresh.  I enjoy it when an author does this in spurts.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2014, 01:46:11 PM
30 pages in and enjoying it. Love his vocabulary.  Just enough "not explaining everything" moments to keep it fresh.  I enjoy it when an author does this in spurts.

Then you should check out Steven Erikson, he does that not explaining anything in thousand page spurts! :D

No seriously rereading Gardens of the Moon is so awesome because there is so much that I'm getting now that was completely lost on me the first time.  What I first saw as he hates readers now I see as he rewards those that reread.

I'm glad that you're liking Neuromancer.  Some day I need to read the sequels.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2014, 01:46:11 PM
Doing great. Thanks.  How is the Pulse? 

More civilized, now that we've done with dumping tea into the Harbor  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jochanaan

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2014, 06:30:12 AM
About to open this one.  Merci, David!

It was mind-bending when it came out.  Perhaps less so now that technology has caught up to what Mr. Gibson was postulating, but still a fun read.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Can anyone on this thread identify the title and/or author of a science fiction story I once read in an anthology (the anthology was titled something on the order of Social Science through Science Fiction or perhaps Political Science through Science Fiction) in the mid to late '70s?  The story concerns a future time when model building (in fact, any kind of homemade production) is outlawed; a group of guys discover in the attic of an abandoned house part of a plan of a steam locomotive.  They don't know what it is or what it's for, but they attempt (against the law) to construct a model of it.  Thematic indexing is outstandingly good for sci fi, but still, after searching through it and asking many readers, I've been unable to find this story again.  Don't go to trouble, please, just wonder if anyone might recognize it.

DavidW

kishnevi

Bought some books at the local used book store
Randall Garrett Lord Darcy. 
An omnibus of one novel and several short stories published in the 60s and 70s.  Part fantasy part alternate history part Inspector Morse.  Read it a couple of times before but never owned it.
Simon R Green Swords of Haven.
A compilation of the first three Hawk and Fisher novels.  Green's current series is a sort of British equivalent of the Dresden Files.  Hawk and Fisher is sort of medieval urban fantasy, going by the blurb.
And three recent books that are generic urban fantasy
Elliot James. Charming
Kevin Hearne. Hounded
Tad Williams. The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: DavidW on July 12, 2014, 06:23:10 AM
Is the collection Above the Human Landscape?  If so table of contents:

https://library.villanova.edu/Find/Record/242396/TOC

And buy it for a penny plus shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Landscape-Social-Science-Fiction-Anthology/dp/0876200021

THANKS, David, that might well be it!!  The date is within range and it is not a title I remember physically checking but it does correspond to vague memory!  I've ordered a copy and will report back.  Blessings of a thousand golden suns upon ye. 

Bogey

Chapter 9 was some of the best sci-fi I ever read.  Wintermute is stinkin' cool!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

On a side note, snuck this one in during a workout via a podcast (free):

Mr. Spaceship (1953) by Philip K. Dick.  Classic sci-fi in all regards.   A basic "brain used to run a spaceship" story, but written well.  Some twists here and there, but no major curve balls.

Sorry for the double posts MNDave, but good discussion on books should know no boundaries. :)

Bogey

Neuromancer in the can.  Had to use a site to help me with characters a bit, but once I got those straight I just let it ride. Gave it 5 out 5 stars.  Probably one of the more difficult pieces of fiction I have ever read, but great writing can trump that easily.

Now, a rec from a friend:

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on July 13, 2014, 04:27:47 PM
Neuromancer in the can.  Had to use a site to help me with characters a bit, but once I got those straight I just let it ride. Gave it 5 out 5 stars.  Probably one of the more difficult pieces of fiction I have ever read, but great writing can trump that easily.

Now, a rec from a friend:

Awesome Bill, glad you liked it!  As for Farmer's series I read some of them when I was a kid.  Pretty cool stuff.

Bogey

Almost 100 pages in.....ah, such are summers for teachers.  Definitely easier to navigate than the previous read.  It is starting to pick up a bit so I will continue it.

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on July 14, 2014, 10:19:01 AM
Almost 100 pages in.....ah, such are summers for teachers.  Definitely easier to navigate than the previous read.  It is starting to pick up a bit so I will continue it.

Yes I've been thinning my to read pile this summer.  Also trying to do some organizing and cleaning.

Bogey

Another Philip K. Dick podcast under my belt. 

This one was better thought out and plotted than Mr. Spaceship IMO and still came from 1953.  Not sure how much of his stories are in public domain for listening, but what is there I will find. :)

Bogey

Finished up the first Riverworld book.  Excellent.  Will snag the second one soon.  However, giving this one a go:

jochanaan

Quote from: Bogey on July 15, 2014, 06:21:48 PM
Finished up the first Riverworld book.  Excellent.  Will snag the second one soon.  However, giving this one a go:

I liked that one well enough.  I usually don't care much for such quasi-militaristic SF, but this had some interesting ideas.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on July 15, 2014, 06:21:48 PM

Don't remember much about it at all.  I still remember bits of Ringworld.

DavidW

It's been along time since I read that.  What I remembered most was when overpopulation became so great the aliens couldn't even collect trash fast enough and the cities became like living in landfills.