The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 06, 2010, 06:50:54 AM

No problems for me with higher resolution, I like the modern special effects, the overall appearance and vivid rich colors make for a very striking presentation, and yes the women of Star Trek have never looked better!

The format has been locked in 4:3 with black bars on the side to preserve original TV picture......wish it was widescreen

Sound's like it is worth renting.

DavidW

DA, I've seen season 1 on blu-ray and agree that it looks stunning!  I have the dvd set for season 2 (because I couldn't wait for the bd release) and it is more expensive than the blu-ray set! 

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2010, 08:33:22 AM
DA, I've seen season 1 on blu-ray and agree that it looks stunning! 
I have the dvd set for season 2 (because I couldn't wait for the bd release) and it is more expensive than the blu-ray set!

Indeed!
DVD is same price as Blu Ray, plus you get the modern special effects on Blu Ray

I wish Star Trek TNG (the next generation) set would get the same Blu Ray remaster, the current DVD picture qulaity and color could be much better

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 06, 2010, 09:00:52 AM

Indeed!
DVD is same price as Blu Ray, plus you get the modern special effects on Blu Ray

I wish Star Trek TNG (the next generation) set would get the same Blu Ray remaster, the current DVD picture qulaity and color could be much better

Absolutely.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I've heard that TNG will but it will take along time due to the show having been mastered on sd, and it won't actually have as much potential to shine as TOS since TOS had better quality film stock.

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2010, 12:41:34 PM
I've heard that TNG will but it will take along time due to the show having been mastered on sd, and it won't actually have as much potential to shine as TOS since TOS had better quality film stock.

What is sd?

DavidW

DavidW

Anyway the thing is that if there is a master on film they can digitally scan it (usually at 4k resolution) and then use software to restore, remaster it and then prepare a downconverted blu-ray.

With next gen, they will have to carefully restore and remaster the film before scanning and doing their software magic.  It's a much more expensive and time consuming task.  If they had 35 mm masters like they did with TOS the TNG ones would probably be out by now.

To compound the problem, many blu-ray watchers are extremely fussy with pq and if doesn't meet their exacting standards they won't buy.  That makes the studios reluctant to put the money in for these clean up jobs on archive titles as it is.

DarkAngel

We have Battlestar Galactica in Blu Ray now...........but since the DVD version is already high quality, upscaled DVD set comes "close" to Blu Ray quality at much lower price

The older series like Star Trek TNG, Star Trek DS9, and Stargate SG1 would benefit most from Blu Ray remasters, I would definitely buy them!

DavidW

The battlestar blu-rays look very grainy anyway.  I don't know if you're a pro-grain videophile DA, but excessive grain gets on my nerves.

Scarpia

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 06, 2010, 02:11:40 PM

We have Battlestar Galactica in Blu Ray now...........but since the DVD version is already high quality, upscaled DVD set comes "close" to Blu Ray quality at much lower price

Maybe I should resume watching it.  I sort of drifted off when it seemed to turn into more of a soap opera than a space adventure show.

Bogey

Quote from: Scarpia on June 07, 2010, 08:44:19 AM
Maybe I should resume watching it.  I sort of drifted off when it seemed to turn into more of a soap opera than a space adventure show.

I started the series, but it did not hold my attention enough.  However, my wife and I did enjoy:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DarkAngel

Quote from: Scarpia on June 07, 2010, 08:44:19 AM

Some cool concepts in new Battlestar Galactica, but the introspective brooding comander Adama character never worked for me.......compared to the high level set by Jean Luc Picard of Star Trek TNG, this became a glaring weak spot as the series progressed

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 07, 2010, 01:44:45 PM

Some cool concepts in new Battlestar Galactica, but the introspective brooding comander Adama character never worked for me.......

Yup.  Not much better than Pa Cartwright at the helm. ;)

Hollywood

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Bogey

Started this series last night:

Have not read King since the mid 80's, but thought I would give this a try since I have heard only positive reviews.

Fëanor

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2010, 11:08:18 AM
I started the series, but it did not hold my attention enough.  However, my wife and I did enjoy:

My wife liked that one and we have the series on DVD.  But I haven't sampled it yet: should I?

Bogey

Quote from: Feanor on June 08, 2010, 07:59:26 AM
My wife liked that one and we have the series on DVD.  But I haven't sampled it yet: should I?

I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much.  Fun stuff.

DavidW

I liked it when the show was on the air, but given that it was only on for a few months it surprises me how much people still talk about it several years after it was canceled.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 08, 2010, 09:01:06 AM
I liked it when the show was on the air, but given that it was only on for a few months it surprises me how much people still talk about it several years after it was canceled.

FOX and their wisdom.  Cancellation made no sense whatsoever.