The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Fox does that so often that I won't watch a show on their network unless it has been on for over a year.  Firefly was the very last time I took a chance with them.

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on June 08, 2010, 09:31:51 AM
Fox does that so often that I won't watch a show on their network unless it has been on for over a year.  Firefly was the very last time I took a chance with them.

At least Fox allowed the series X Files to run for seven seasons..........

I am currently enjoying Fox show Fringe and hope a 3rd season will follow

Scarpia

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 08, 2010, 09:40:19 AM

I am currently enjoying Fox show Fringe and hope a 3rd season will follow

The cancellation of Arrested Development by Fox was also widely lamented.  I loved the show (saw it on DVD, never on broadcast TV) but think it was probably played out by the end of the 3rd season in any case.

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 08, 2010, 09:40:19 AM

1 season too many?  I was a big fan, but the wrap up was fairly painful, IMO.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on June 08, 2010, 12:12:14 PM
1 season too many?  I was a big fan, but the wrap up was fairly painful, IMO.

Agreed.

But while X-Files was popular (all of the replies missed what I was talking, I have no problem with a show being canceled after a few seasons and it loses steam), there were half a dozen shows Chris Carter tried that didn't even make it for a season.  Some of them had potential to be good, but like Firefly they need time to develop, at least one season.  For those type of serial shows they were not given a fair chance to capture their audience.  Fox is so notorious for canceling shows before the first season is out that there are not only literally dozens, but when Family Guy was brought back on the air they actually listed them all, it was pretty funny. 

Even though I love Joss Whedon's shows including Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and heck the Dr. Horrible's Sing-along-Blog was awesome! I still gave Dollhouse a complete pass because I know how Fox works and I was right.  Whether the show was good or bad at least that one had a complete first season though, I'll give them that much credit.  But then again a save the show petition started before the first episode even aired!

DarkAngel

next

Bogey

New topic:

Remember this add in old comic books and monster mags?

Almost made my avatar after picking up a custom figure for my monster nook based on this mask.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

That would be a cool avatar Bill.  Which reminds me I'd been watching some of the old Hammer Dracula movies with Christopher Lee.  He's a real good vampire.

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2010, 08:39:30 AM
The battlestar blu-rays look very grainy anyway.  I don't know if you're a pro-grain videophile DA, but excessive grain gets on my nerves.

David
I have Battlestar Galactica series in DVD but have the new misc collection of inside info called "the plan" in Blu ray and you are right that there is a slight grain intentionally built into picture by series creators......even in Blu Ray version

So I don't plan on getting Blu Ray complete set just so I can have even clearer view of the visual grain  :(

I did pay up to get TV series Lost seasons 1-5 in Blu Ray  :)

DavidW

Awesome DA the Lost bds look exceptional! :)

jowcol

Jumping on this thread late-- it was great to see so much love for Carpenter's version of The Thing. 

Are any of you familiar with Dan Simmon's novel The Terror?  It's based about the ill-fated Franklin Expedition in the 1840s that tried (unsuccessfully) to find the "NorthWest Passage" above Canada, and it seems that the crew fell victim to lead poisoning, scurvy, starvation and cannibalism.  What Simmons did was start with that, and then add an "alien" stalking the crews of the icebound ships as well.  Although the novel has some flaws (the pacing slows down in the last 100 pages (out of 700), it's some great, gritty historical fiction that would have been effectively without the supernatural element.  For its flaws, its one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in the fantasy/horror genre.

This is the review that got me to read it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011802346.html

In terms of authors-- I'm not the biggest sci-fi reader, but I love Phillip K. Dick when he gets philosophical-- I just finished Counter-Clock World, which was pretty cool, although it doesn't get as much respect.  I'm also a big fan of Shirley Jackon's Haunting of Hill House  and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Bogey

Quote from: jowcol on June 10, 2010, 09:23:34 AM
l

In terms of authors-- I'm not the biggest sci-fi reader, but I love Phillip K. Dick

One of the best!

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Scarpia on June 08, 2010, 12:11:25 PM
The cancellation of Arrested Development by Fox was also widely lamented.  I loved the show (saw it on DVD, never on broadcast TV) but think it was probably played out by the end of the 3rd season in any case.

Indeed. The cancellation of the show was actually a blessing in disguise. It had a substantially good and long run.

Bogey

Just received this custom figure in the mail.  1 of 13 made.  Goes with the shock mask above.

MN Dave

Shopping for my birthday so early?

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on June 12, 2010, 06:47:34 PM
Shopping for my birthday so early?

Man, I wish.  Only 13 of these babies made for a fundraiser for a monster forum I haunt.  He is going to be producing some more, but they will be based on another vintage monster mask.

Hollywood

Quote from: Bogey on June 12, 2010, 10:02:00 AM
Just received this custom figure in the mail.  1 of 13 made.  Goes with the shock mask above.

Why is he dressed up like the Fonz?
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

DarkAngel

What do people think about the mega blockbuster fantasy / sci-fi movie Avatar?

Watched Blu Ray from Netflix......this is real workout for your Blu Ray player, I had to download latest firmware from Oppo to get movie to play, internet has many stories about frustrated people trying to get thier players to work with this release.

The fantasy scenery and animals of planet Pandora bears very close resemblance to artwork of Roger Dean (from Yes albums fame) hope he was compensated  :)

Bogey

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2010, 08:02:49 AM

What do people think about the mega blockbuster fantasy / sci-fi movie Avatar?

Nutshell:  Weak story, weak acting, and the effects were over-hyped.  Just barely watchable, IMO, as the first 10 minutes or so were really cool.  Then it turned into a Cameron self-indulgence fest.  Just my take, as many loved it.