The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2010, 08:02:49 AM

What do people think about the mega blockbuster fantasy / sci-fi movie Avatar?

This is a very long movie at close to 3 hours, the special effects and picture quality are mostly spectacular but the story is rather simplistic good vs evil and misses many opportunities, some parts become very cartoonish. Only question is will humans controlling Avatars side with Navi or fellow humans in final battle........but you knew the answer early in the movie by the sinister portrayal of human military/corporation vs the sweet innocent cat like Navi natives.

Should have explored more the complexity of Navi life both good and bad.......one of best parts for me was Navi search and submission of flying reptilian creature and bonding that takes place, the flying scenes were the highlight of the movie.........

Will probably buy a copy for my Sci-Fi library, but will wait for the final directors cut version with all the goodies.......there are surely tons of featurettes about making of the movie etc

Fëanor

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2010, 08:02:49 AM

What do people think about the mega blockbuster fantasy / sci-fi movie Avatar?

I bought the Blu-ray disc for my new system, giving in to family demand.  Is it a great flick? Well, I agree with the consensus that plot and characters are a series of cliches.  A combination of Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, and FernGully (if you remember that kids' film).  Notwithstanding, it's a must-see film, a techincal leap forward at the least.  However the way to see it is in 3D on a big theatre screen; even Blu-ray can't do it justice.

DavidW

You know DA I think that's a sign that you're a collector...

You're collector if... you buy a movie that you don't like.
You're collector if... you buy a special edition of movie that you don't like.

;D

QuoteShould have explored more the complexity of Navi life both good and bad

*cough* District 9 *cough*
:D

DavidW

Quote from: Feanor on June 13, 2010, 06:15:17 PM
However the way to see it is in 3D on a big theatre screen; even Blu-ray can't do it justice.

I had the exact opposite response.  It was the most impressive 3d effects I've seen, but it didn't really add anything.  If that's the best, well I decided that I'm done with the 3d fad this pass.  And I like it better in 2d because it's brighter. :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on June 13, 2010, 06:16:20 PM
You know DA I think that's a sign that you're a collector...

You're collector if... you buy a movie that you don't like.
You're collector if... you buy a special edition of movie that you don't like.

*cough* District 9 *cough*

bloody prawns......I'm not going that far  ::)

DavidW

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2010, 06:25:45 PM

bloody prawns......I'm not going that far  ::)

Puts down the cat food carefully and walks away.... ;D

Hollywood

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

So I read the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb, and it was a very good followup to the Farseer Trilogy... but... the ending was not really right for the character, it came off as fake and though I think Fitz should receive something better than what he got at the end of the first trilogy, I don't think that this was it.  Still thumbs up. :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 13, 2010, 10:00:14 AM

This is a very long movie at close to 3 hours, the special effects and picture quality are mostly spectacular but the story is rather simplistic good vs evil and misses many opportunities, some parts become very cartoonish. Only question is will humans controlling Avatars side with Navi or fellow humans in final battle........but you knew the answer early in the movie by the sinister portrayal of human military/corporation vs the sweet innocent cat like Navi natives.

Should have explored more the complexity of Navi life both good and bad.......one of best parts for me was Navi search and submission of flying reptilian creature and bonding that takes place, the flying scenes were the highlight of the movie.........

Will probably buy a copy for my Sci-Fi library, but will wait for the final directors cut version with all the goodies.......there are surely tons of featurettes about making of the movie etc
I want directors cut because.........

I will be interested in seeing documentaries/featurettes on how the Navi characters were created and filmed, did they use human actors wired up and then just generate skins for them or are many of the charatcers pure computer animations.......also interested in seeing how the flying lizard bird scences were made, these are spectacular visuals

Also I suspect there are more Navi interaction scences cut out of final release, perhaps 30+ minutes worth would not surprise me

MN Dave

Here's the hot, new horror thriller of the moment. My wife is reading our copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0345504968

Bogey

Is this author on your radar, Dave?

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Bogey

I am a fan of the original King Kong film.  So much so, that I refuse to see Peter Jackson's version.....my little petty protest.  However, his may be sheer genius compared to this:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38070/banglar-king-kong-ready-rampage

PS: Anyone making it through the full 5 minutes wins a prize!

Scarpia

Quote from: Bogey on June 17, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
I am a fan of the original King Kong film.  So much so, that I refuse to see Peter Jackson's version.....my little petty protest.  However, his may be sheer genius compared to this:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38070/banglar-king-kong-ready-rampage

PS: Anyone making it through the full 5 minutes wins a prize!

One of the good outcomes of the Peter Jackson King Kong is the material they generated regarding the original King Kong.  I have the deluxe edition of the origin King Kong, which has a bonus disc in which they demonstrate the special effects that were used to make the original film and even recreate the lost "spider pit" footage that was cut from the original using HIF (historically informed filmography) and PE (period equipment).    :)

MN Dave

Jackson's Kong was way too long but provided some amusement.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on June 17, 2010, 12:33:21 PM
Jackson's Kong was way too long but provided some amusement.

That is a perfect review, my thoughts exactly. :)

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 17, 2010, 12:43:04 PM
That is a perfect review, my thoughts exactly. :)

Great minds...

Or is that twisted minds...?  ???

Bogey

Quote from: Scarpia on June 17, 2010, 12:28:00 PM
One of the good outcomes of the Peter Jackson King Kong is the material they generated regarding the original King Kong.  I have the deluxe edition of the origin King Kong, which has a bonus disc in which they demonstrate the special effects that were used to make the original film and even recreate the lost "spider pit" footage that was cut from the original using HIF (historically informed filmography) and PE (period equipment).    :)

I will have to see if this is on my double Kong disc set.  I always love HIFPE material. :D

DarkAngel

Had to update my Pinhead collection........

Ordered the Blu Ray remaster of original film Hellraiser and the even better sequel Hellbound (unrated version of course) now with 60 minutes of featurettes for 20th anniverary release

The only other Pinhead movie worthy of repeat viewings is 4th movie Bloodlines......
Love the historical flashbacks to creation of the puzzle box and the final deception of Pinhead in outer space is classic