The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Oh I don't like amazon reviews, I go with rotten tomatoes and imdb.  Anyway it's documentary camcorder style, it either works for you or it doesn't.  That style consistently works for me, and I especially liked it in REC and Blair Witch Project. :)

DarkAngel

Night of the Living Dead

I know it is blasphemous to not bow at the altar of the original NOTLD but the 1990 remake by Tony Savini is superior in every respect. Savini worked with Romero on original version but in this remake that closely follows original story we have major improvements:

-far better picture quality (color) and sound
-better acting
-much more intense violence and extreme gore
-more frightening moments
-statirical black humor intact, rednecks run wild etc
-creative plot twists, especially final surprise kill "one more for the fire" .........heh heh

DavidW

I haven't seen that remake, I'll have to look out for it. :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 10, 2010, 05:52:13 AM
Night of the Living Dead

I know it is blasphemous to not bow at the altar of the original NOTLD but the 1990 remake by Tony Savini is superior in every respect. Savini worked with Romero on original version but in this remake that closely follows original story we have major improvements:

-far better picture quality (color) and sound
-better acting
-much more intense violence and extreme gore
-more frightening moments
-statirical black humor intact, rednecks run wild etc
-creative plot twists, especially final surprise kill "one more for the fire" .........heh heh

Also noteable modern remake of Romero original:

Dawn of the Dead (Divimax Edition) Dawn of the Dead (Widescreen Unrated Director's Cut)

The new 2004 remake is actually very good with great picture quality and some decent acting from Ving Rhames and crew, violence is abundant and graphic but the original Dawn still has a slight edge with its mastery of morbid black satire humor........the arrival of the motor cycle gang in shopping mall and carnage that follows in original version is just classic stuff that horror zombie legends are made of

Today for younger viewer some of the cynical message is lost since no one hangs out at the mall anymore like they all did in the 1980s..... ::)

DavidW

I'm glad to see that someone else likes the recent remake! :)

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 10, 2010, 04:10:23 PM
Today for younger viewer some of the cynical message is lost since no one hangs out at the mall anymore like they all did in the 1980s..... ::)

That's why Romero made Diary of the Dead.  It was to indict the internet culture of these days, his statement for this time. :)

DarkAngel

Getting ready for fall 2010 release of Blu Ray Alien Anthology set............

Has everything that Quadrillogy set has plus more, like a 90 second segment from Aliens of Ripley finding Burke cocooned, priceless......

To get in the mood purchased these three huge sized HR Giger art books (17 x 12) Amazon:

H. R. Giger's NecronomiconH. R. Giger's Necronomicon IIGiger's Alien

DavidW

Nice!  Good to hear that a date is set. :)

DarkAngel

Babara Steele fans........
Just picked up these three 1960s horror flix with the above mention scream queen, remastered and not rated:

Nightmare CastleBlack SundayCastle of Blood (Uncensored International Version)

Black Sunday is the best of her 1960s classics, but by todays standards these are pretty tame and slow moving, more noteable for thier gothic mood and artful photography

DarkAngel

Blu Ray Alien Anthology
Amazon just listed this as pre order item available October 26..........it will be mine

DarkAngel

More details from Blu-ray.com, no stone unturned.........
Unlike the recent Lord of the Rings Blu Ray we get original theatrical and extened directors cut versions in this boxset plus over 60 hours of special material some new to this set (Burke cocooned, screen tests etc)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4881

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Favorite horror films (in no particular order):

MN Dave

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 19, 2010, 06:44:11 AM

More details from Blu-ray.com, no stone unturned.........
Unlike the recent Lord of the Rings Blu Ray we get original theatrical and extened directors cut versions in this boxset plus over 60 hours of special material some new to this set (Burke cocooned, screen tests etc)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4881

I am having second thoughts about $100 for a 4 movie boxset..............

Will probably wait to see if movies are released individually as blu ray versions, then just buy first two movies and use Quadrillogy set for other two.......unless I get a better deal on complete blu ray boxset

Bogey

Just started the above.  I was going to read Smith's Lensmen series, but could not find the first book in the used shops or the library.  Thought I would give this series a try.  I guess it was originally serialized starting in 1928 in Amazing Stories.

More on its history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylark_(series)

bwv 1080

finished re-reading the first 8 books of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen in anticipation of The Crippled God coming out early next year

MN Dave

Hoorah! Books!  :)

I haven't read any of those yet.  :-\

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on August 22, 2010, 05:11:31 AM
Hoorah! Books!  :)

I haven't read any of those yet.  :-\

David, as I posted on another forum, the one I am reading is very pulpy, but I enjoy that genre as well, at least from time to time.  There are some passages already that are a "hoot" due to this.  For example, when describing the main character, Dick Seaton, after a discovery of "solution X",

Concentrating all the power of his mind-deaf, dumb, and blind to every external thing-he sat motionless with his forgottenpipe clinched between his teeth.
He sat there while most of his fellow chemists finished the days work and went home; sat there with the room slowly darkened with the coming of night.

Classic stuff!

MN Dave

Sweet. I'll have to get me some of that.  :)