The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on October 10, 2010, 06:30:38 AM
Congrats Dave! :)

It's not on amazon, I thought it was going to be. :'(  Would you so kindly consider a kindle edition? ;D

I have a kindle now, and I've heard that they offer huge royalties to self-publishing authors.  Like 70%, if you believe that. :)

I believe it but this one isn't self-published. Yes, it will be available for Kindle. They tell me in November so watch for it (please)! :)

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on October 10, 2010, 08:06:54 AM
I believe it but this one isn't self-published. Yes, it will be available for Kindle. They tell me in November so watch for it (please)! :)

Awesome!  Keep your avatar= your cover and I'll remember it and order it in November.  Too bad they don't already have a page on amazon because then I can pre-order it and the forget it until I turn on my kindle and go "wtf is this book doing on here?" :D

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on October 10, 2010, 08:22:02 AM
Awesome!  Keep your avatar= your cover and I'll remember it and order it in November.  Too bad they don't already have a page on amazon because then I can pre-order it and the forget it until I turn on my kindle and go "wtf is this book doing on here?" :D

They just released this cover last night so it won't be long now... I'll keep you updated.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on October 10, 2010, 06:08:04 AM
I have a zombie/alien novel coming out next month. Here's the cover:

Let's bring this bad boy over to the next page....very nice, Dave!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

DarkAngel

The Avatar deluxe blu ray package arrives (just in time for Xmas) 11/16/2010
Monster package with 3 BDs, directors cut adds 16 minutes, web price @ $35

DavidW

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 12, 2010, 07:26:08 AM

The Avatar deluxe blu ray package arrives (just in time for Xmas) 11/16/2010
Monster package with 3 BDs, directors cut adds 16 minutes, web price @ $35

Can't say that I'm a fan of amazon merging reviews since the most helpful review is telling to wait for the better edition... and this is the better edition.  Amazon please stop the merging!!  Seriously!

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on October 12, 2010, 07:36:13 AM
Can't say that I'm a fan of amazon merging reviews since the most helpful review is telling to wait for the better edition... and this is the better edition.  Amazon please stop the merging!!  Seriously!

Yes that is very confusing and misleading practice by Amazon

Hmmmm, looks like DVD deluxe version fits on 3 DVDs......therefore I suspect the BD version could have been 2 BD but used 3 to get higher price  :(

DavidW

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 12, 2010, 09:19:35 AM

Yes that is very confusing and misleading practice by Amazon

Hmmmm, looks like DVD deluxe version fits on 3 DVDs......therefore I suspect the BD version could have been 2 BD but used 3 to get higher price  :(

You should be pleased, by using 1 more bd they've probably improved the compression and thus the picture quality.  Not apparent on medium sized tvs, but apparently but there were a few instances of artificating in the previous edition noticeable to the 120+ inch front projector crowd.

DavidW

I rewatched one of my favorite horror movies last night-- The Exorcist. :)

It's on netflix watch instantly in hd btw. :)  So who needs to buy a blu-ray? >:D

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 16, 2010, 07:59:36 AM
I rewatched one of my favorite horror movies last night-- The Exorcist. :)

David, this one still chills me to the bone when I watch it.

MN Dave

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 16, 2010, 08:00:39 AM
David, this one still chills me to the bone when I watch it.

Skip the second one but see #3.

Brahmsian

Quote from: MN Dave on October 16, 2010, 08:23:31 AM
Skip the second one but see #3.

Agreed!  The second was a major bust.

MN Dave

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 16, 2010, 08:26:18 AM
Agreed!  The second was a major bust.

Also, read LEGION by Blatty. Very spooky shit and what movie #3 is based on (loosely).

Brahmsian

Quote from: MN Dave on October 16, 2010, 08:38:01 AM
Also, read LEGION by Blatty. Very spooky shit and what movie #3 is based on (loosely).

I have read Legion.  I actually was disappointed by that book Dave.  :(  I did however very much like the movie.

MN Dave

DavidW

I also really like #3.  I've seen them all and #1 and 3 are great, #2 is awful and I liked (but not loved) #4, haven't seen #5.

Edit: hilarious "I've seen then all" and before the next line "haven't seen #5."  I think I just pulled a Paulb. ;D

Saul

Here's a very boring fantasy book...a waste of time and money...I don't know why he has so many fans, but I just don't like it at all.

DavidW

Quote from: Saul on October 16, 2010, 09:48:54 PM
Here's a very boring fantasy book...a waste of time and money...I don't know why he has so many fans, but I just don't like it at all.

I've read similar complaints Saul about that series.  That the author has a poor grasp of character development and can't prioritize plot threads, and that it ends up being boring and disengaging.  That is one of the two reasons that I've avoided the series, the other being that it is not finished yet.