The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

Quote from: MN Dave on October 19, 2010, 12:17:54 PM
Oooo! I might look for that Extreme Fantasy tome.

I got it in a charity shop for a pound. Bargain! None of the stories yet have been amazing but there have been a few solid ones. The best one by far is only 6 or 7 pages but it lingers in the mind somewhat. I won't spoil it in case you do buy the book.

MN Dave

Quote from: Benji on October 19, 2010, 12:29:13 PM
I got it in a charity shop for a pound. Bargain! None of the stories yet have been amazing but there have been a few solid ones. The best one by far is only 6 or 7 pages but it lingers in the mind somewhat. I won't spoil it in case you do buy the book.

Who's the author?

Benji

Quote from: MN Dave on October 19, 2010, 12:30:25 PM
Who's the author?

John Niendorff. He's now editing some kind of divine poetry magazine it seems.

MN Dave

Quote from: Benji on October 19, 2010, 12:35:11 PM
John Niendorff. He's now editing some kind of divine poetry magazine it seems.

Thanks. I've never heard of him before.

snyprrr

Just giving a shout out to the Phil Hardy Encyclopedia of Horror Films.

I'm watching the Scream Awards 2010 ( :o :o),...oy,...has anyone seen my life??? :P

Bogey

Considering this series....worth my time?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

The Walking Dead premieres on Sunday!  Halloween.  Boo! ;D

btw I think Mark Kermode hit the nail on Paranormal 2 when he described it as "zzzzzzzz boo! zzzzzzzzzz boo!" ;D

Also read a kickass novel about zombies in San Antonio called Dead City by Joe McKinney.  And now reading about vikings vs monsters, who will win? sadly... ;D

And in addition to seeing the Exorcist in netflix in hd instantly, netflix also has American Werewolf in London plan on a rewatch on that tonight.  PS3 has an update so that the streaming is in full hd now and not 720p. :)

MN Dave

Never have read those, Bill.  Read George R.R. Martin first. :)

I got this for under $12 over the weekend: The Carpenter Collection (The Thing/They Live/Prince Of Darkness/Village Of The Damned)

DavidW

Haha Dave I actually told Bill the same thing!  Go for Martin first. :D

I have that collection, it's a great bargain. :)

DavidW

I've read some good scifi novels of late, but I'll share one in particular:

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds.  It has an epic scale traveling over thousands of light years with people that live for millions of years, yet it has an intimate story.  Absolutely amazing, it's like Farscape on crack with wonderful characters.  One of the best sf novels I've read!  I need to read more by that author.

eyeresist

Wouldn't "Farscape on crack" just be Farscape?

DavidW

Quote from: eyeresist on April 20, 2011, 03:31:31 PM
Wouldn't "Farscape on crack" just be Farscape?

Haha good point!  It is the totally insane wacky singularity! :D :D

DavidW

I suddenly find myself completely tired of the pulp horror that I usually enjoy-- Graham Masterton, Bentley Little, Brian Keene etc they are just so over the top that I can't take them seriously and the characters are so flat that I just don't care.  I'm in a funk.

I've been so into that type of horror that I don't know where to start with something that might be more to my current taste.

I want character driven, more psychological, with a more subtle use of the supernatural kind of novel... can anyone help me out here?

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Hollywood

My best friend back in Los Angeles sent me this book which I will get to as soon as I finish the current book I am reading. I am a big Dracula fan (read Stocker's Dracula twice) and I'm curious to see how this version from Renfield's point of view will turn out.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Hollywood on July 11, 2011, 10:48:04 PM
My best friend back in Los Angeles sent me this book which I will get to as soon as I finish the current book I am reading. I am a big Dracula fan (read Stocker's Dracula twice) and I'm curious to see how this version from Renfield's point of view will turn out.

I used to read that author quite a bit when she first started - a bit of a blast from the past for me. Hope you enjoy.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Quote from: Hollywood on July 11, 2011, 10:48:04 PM

Dwight Frye who played Renfield in the original Dracula is one of my all time favorite characters in a horror setting (enjoyed him as Fritz in Frankenstein a bit more).  Will look forward to your review.

DavidW

Erikson's fantasy series... I read book 1 and was ok with it, had to slog through it but reading Deadhouse Gates (book 2) much, much better.  Wow I think I'm finally hooked again in another fantasy epic! :)