The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

The Walking Dead TV series is back, Sunday night on AMC.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 13, 2011, 02:35:03 PM
The Walking Dead TV series is back, Sunday night on AMC.

Hey anyone here unimpressed with season 2.0?  I was. :-\

I just finished the third novel in the Malazan series, Memories of Ice.  Erikson's characterization is significantly better, and the beginning and the end were amazing. 

Also started Stephen King's Gunslinger series, the first entry is very atypical King, his first novel is quite different from his mature writing style.

Ataraxia

Quote from: DavidW on January 12, 2012, 02:47:23 PM
Hey anyone here unimpressed with season 2.0?  I was. :-\

It didn't bother me like it does some people but I've read the comics and it's a pretty similar vibe.

DavidW

DavidW

Quote from: Ataraxia on January 12, 2012, 02:53:17 PM
It didn't bother me like it does some people but I've read the comics and it's a pretty similar vibe.

Some people went way over the top with the hate.  I thought it could have been better, but I still thought it was good and I enjoyed the twist at the end.  Actually I felt stupid for not seeing it that coming, I should have! :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

I kep on mixing this thread up with the thread on  Republican candidates for the presidential election. My bad.

Ataraxia

Quote from: The new erato on January 13, 2012, 09:43:15 AM
I kep on mixing this thread up with the thread on  Republican candidates for the presidential election. My bad.

:D

Ataraxia

If you enjoy horror and own a Kindle, this novel is free this weekend only, published by my e-press, Acid Grave:

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Juju-Novel-Terror-ebook/dp/B006WPZPRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327155700&sr=8-2

DavidW

Thanks.  I don't know when I'll get to it but I "bought" it. ;D

Ataraxia

Thanks, David! I hope you enjoy it. I did.

Ataraxia

WALKING DEAD has two episodes left this season.

You are still watching, right?  ;D

DavidW

Already?  I haven't watched any of the new half season yet, still sitting in my amazon vod library.  One of my students was just griping today that there was something he thought just ruined everything in the recent ep... but thankfully didn't spoil it for me.

Ataraxia

Hm, it didn't ruin anything for me.  ;D

But I'm easy.  :-*

eyeresist

Maybe relevant?

QuoteSFWA is redirecting Amazon.com links

In recent days, Amazon.com decided to remove more than 4000 e-books from its website after a pricing dispute with IPG.  The Independent Publishing Group is one of the largest independent distributors in the United States.

While Amazon has the right to decide with what company it does business, its removal of many of our authors' books from its ordering system will have an economic impact on them. Our authors depend on people buying their books and a significant percentage of them have books distributed through IPG.  Therefore, SFWA is redirecting Amazon.com links from the organization's website  to other booksellers because we would prefer to send traffic to stores where the books can actually be purchased.

To that end, our volunteers are in the process of redirecting book links to indiebound.org, Powell's, and Barnes and Noble.

Many authors will be hit hard by this, so we encourage you to seek out new places to find their books.

It is worth noting, that if a book is only available on Amazon, we are leaving the link in place. Our goal is to make sure that it is possible to order our members' fiction. Hurting authors to make a point about a publishing model is not a good practice, for anyone.

Bogey

Quote from: eyeresist on March 05, 2012, 05:20:19 PM
Maybe relevant?

Well, I I hope it was not because they thought Amazon was not charging enough.  May of the Kindle downloads are no less expensive (or very close to the hard copy price).  At least for the newer books that I have looked into.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I remember amazon doing that to Macmillan.  Publishers won that fight by grouping together and demanding the agent model pricing.  Amazon is awesome from a customer perspective, but really they know that they monopolize the market and use it to bully everyone else so that no one can make the profit they've earned.  Amazon knows that both them and the authors will profit more by eliminating these middle men (distributors and large publishers)... but it's just not fair business practice.

It's easy to hate on the big six because they act like huge jerks... but indy distributors and publishers?  That's like kicking a puppy!

snyprrr

Quote from: MN Dave on January 13, 2012, 09:40:11 AM
We do try.

Bubby... from Day of the Dead.

Where's my prize? >:D I want my prize!!!