The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

So I've been reading that series, and rereading Wheel of Time to finally finish it.  After Lord of Chaos, I switched to the rereads for summaries to get me through Knife of Dreams.  After that the three Sanderson novels will be first time reads for me.  I want to get this done, and finish rereading Harry Potter before I finally give the Malazan series that second chance (I got lost and confused before).

Beorn

Quote from: DavidW on June 30, 2013, 09:43:25 AM
I know Dave that you asked this five million years ago and probably don't care anymore... but I've finally encountered a scifi horror novel in space.

Leviathan Wakes by James Corey is part horror (with puke zombies!), part noir, part space opera.  All awesome!

You talkin' to me?  :)

Sweet.

Beorn

Quote from: DavidW on June 30, 2013, 09:44:58 AM
So I've been reading that series, and rereading Wheel of Time to finally finish it.  After Lord of Chaos, I switched to the rereads for summaries to get me through Knife of Dreams.  After that the three Sanderson novels will be first time reads for me.  I want to get this done, and finish rereading Harry Potter before I finally give the Malazan series that second chance (I got lost and confused before).

A Song of Ice and Fire?

Bogey

Downloaded and begun:

Conan The Barbarian : 20 Adventure Tales of Conan (The Hour Of the Dragon, Queen Of the Black Coast, The Shadow of the Vulture, A Witch Shall Be Born, The Tower of the Elephant, And More!) [Kindle Edition]

Right now, reading Shadows In the Moonlight, (first published in Weird Tales, April 1934).  As always, Howard is exceptional with his writing.  Nice pacing, as well as keeping the reader guessing with the characters are two of his strong points, let alone his descriptions of the settings.  This seemed to be the best "complete set" available.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Beorn

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on July 03, 2013, 04:38:03 AM
MN Dave approves.  :)

Just hooked my 14 year old son on it.  Have not heard a peep for over an hour. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Beorn

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2013, 10:44:09 AM
Just hooked my 14 year old son on it.  Have not heard a peep for over an hour. ;)

You are a great dad, you are.

Fëanor

Quote from: MN Dave on July 03, 2013, 04:52:31 AM
Some new Gene Wolfe a'comin'.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Land-Across-Gene-Wolfe/dp/0765335956/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372855787&sr=8-3&keywords=gene+wolfe

Thanks for the heads up, MN.  Gene Wolfe is the greatest SciFi writer ever, (IMHO, though there have been plenty of excellent writers).

Amazons concludes, "Is our hero in fact a spy for the CIA? Or is he an innocent citizen caught in a Kafkaesque trap?".  Yes , I can see Wolfe doing Kafkaesque very well.

snyprrr

Arthur Manchin??? wrong spelling?

Beorn

Quote from: Fëanor on July 04, 2013, 06:52:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up, MN.  Gene Wolfe is the greatest SciFi writer ever, (IMHO, though there have been plenty of excellent writers).

Amazons concludes, "Is our hero in fact a spy for the CIA? Or is he an innocent citizen caught in a Kafkaesque trap?".  Yes , I can see Wolfe doing Kafkaesque very well.

True! You never quite know what's really going on in a Wolfe novel. That's why you can read them more than once.

Beorn

Fëanor

Quote from: snyprrr on July 04, 2013, 06:56:45 AM
Arthur Manchin??? wrong spelling?

That's Arthur Machen.  But thanks for the tip -- I haven't read any of his stuff (or don't recall since I go back a long wary), so perhaps I'll do so.

Beorn

Quote from: Fëanor on July 04, 2013, 07:41:32 AM
That's Arthur Machen.  But thanks for the tip -- I haven't read any of his stuff (or don't recall since I go back a long wary), so perhaps I'll do so.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/389

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on July 02, 2013, 08:12:33 AM
A Song of Ice and Fire?

When it is done I'll return to it.  The closest I came was the scifi series I mentioned, which was edited by Martin since Abraham (one of the two authors involved) has worked with Martin before and is good friends with him.

DavidW

btw Dave I finally took your advice and read A Princess of Mars, is awesome.  The movie made changes that were less awesome, but it's enjoyable despite that critics say otherwise.

I've checked out of the library Carrion Comfort by Simmons, will start it after I read a couple more novels (well I'll be probably starting it and if I like it finishing on the kindle, I'm too slow about getting to books). 

Beorn

Quote from: DavidW on July 05, 2013, 07:22:46 PM
btw Dave I finally took your advice and read A Princess of Mars, is awesome.  The movie made changes that were less awesome, but it's enjoyable despite that critics say otherwise.

I've checked out of the library Carrion Comfort by Simmons, will start it after I read a couple more novels (well I'll be probably starting it and if I like it finishing on the kindle, I'm too slow about getting to books).

Great stuff, David! Dan Simmons is top drawer. SONG of KALI is a must read and A WINTER HAUNTING I found especially spooky.

snyprrr

Zontar, The Thing from Venus

Why no movies in this Thread?,... waaaaah :'(

snyprrr

Ramsey Campbell

Also, this Thread lacks HP, wtf???