The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 06, 2013, 09:04:00 AM
What a great film, much better than the book, IMO.

You are right! One of the rare cases when the movie is better.

mn dave

mn dave

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2013, 08:59:45 AM
Yes and yes.  I'm 100 pages into Dr Sleep.  I started my horror movie marathon early... last weekend I watched Insidious 2.  I also rewatched the original Amityville Horror, and plan on also rewatching the Exorcist, the Evil Dead (original), Carrie (original), The Devil's Backbone and High Tension.

Great line-up. How's Insidious 2? I liked the first one till they blew it at the end.

DavidW

Quote from: Batty on October 06, 2013, 09:47:19 AM
Great line-up. How's Insidious 2? I liked the first one till they blew it at the end.

Oh yeah and rewatching the original Halloween was awesome!

Anyway Insidious 2 is not as scary as Insidious (by a long shot) but it's interesting.  It involves an old cold case, more ghosts, more astral projection... and time travel!  If you didn't like the ending of the first movie you might not like the sequel at all.

mn dave

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2013, 04:50:09 AM
Oh yeah and rewatching the original Halloween was awesome!

Anyway Insidious 2 is not as scary as Insidious (by a long shot) but it's interesting.  It involves an old cold case, more ghosts, more astral projection... and time travel!  If you didn't like the ending of the first movie you might not like the sequel at all.

I'll probably still see it.

mn dave

I'm reading one of my favorite sf authors: Arthur C. Clarke's Reach for Tomorrow, a collection of short stories.

DavidW

Ah you finished Dr Sleep?  I'm only 200 pages in, probably won't finish until this weekend.

mn dave

Yes, I finished. Like vintage King all the way. A successful effort as far as I 'm concerned.

mc ukrneal

With Ender's Game finally coming to a movie theater near us, I have some real incentive to read the darned thing without bias. I keep putting it off.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mn dave

Quote from: Philo the Harbinger on October 09, 2013, 05:14:04 AM
Thanks to T Maxim Simmler

"The Ever-Vigilant Guardians of Secluded Estates" by Ligotti

A young man with a sparse mustache ...

I don't think Ligotti would want that posted everywhere. It's copyrighted.

DavidW

This is not really scifi but Gravity is now playing in town at the $2 theater, so I think I'll go this weekend.

modUltralaser

We'll be reading some Lovecraft, Poe, and Ligotti...

Soon.

mn dave

Quote from: Philo the Harbinger on October 09, 2013, 06:38:48 AM
We'll be reading some Lovecraft, Poe, and Ligotti...

Soon.

Excellent. Ligotti is one of my favorites of all time. On the first tier, here. :)

Oh, Poe and Lovecraft are good too.

modUltralaser

Quote from: Batty on October 09, 2013, 08:11:05 AM
Excellent. Ligotti is one of my favorites of all time. On the first tier, here. :)

Oh, Poe and Lovecraft are good too.

I'm fairly excited. This cat, MNDave, turned me onto him.

mn dave

Quote from: Philo the Harbinger on October 09, 2013, 02:54:36 PM
I'm fairly excited. This cat, MNDave, turned me onto him.

I turned Johan onto him too. My work here is done.  0:)

mn dave

DavidW

That author lives in the town where I went to college.  The local bookstores had autographed copies of his Mars books.

Daverz

Quote from: DavidW on October 10, 2013, 05:50:07 AM
That author lives in the town where I went to college.  The local bookstores had autographed copies of his Mars books.

The Mars books were the last KSR I read.  I was a fan up 'til then.  I remember the last book in particular (Green Mars?) being a joyless slog.

mn dave

Also reading this.
[asin]0671604090[/asin]

Just click it I guess.  ;D

Daverz

Quote from: Batty on October 10, 2013, 06:53:17 PM
Also reading this.
[asin]0671604090[/asin]

Just click it I guess.  ;D

Don't worry, it's a Michael Moorcock novel, not goatse.cx.

I've read that one twice!  The only other Moorcock novel I've read is Behold The Man.