The GMG SF/Fantasy/Horror Club

Started by Dr. Dread, August 04, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

I'm glad you liked the film, guys. For a while there, I thought people missed my post.

mn dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2014, 07:24:04 PM
I read the new novel in the Expanse, Cibola Burn by James Corey.  A tv show is being made of the series, I look forward to seeing it.

I also finally read Player of Games by Iain M Banks.  I disagree with the popular opinion that it is better than Consider Phlebas.  I enjoyed Considered Phlebas more, but Player of Games is a decent novel.

Going back to try to finish the Wheel of Time, I'm on the final three books now.

I have some big fat Tad Williams books to read after I read my big fat George RR Martins. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 22, 2014, 03:59:00 AM
I have some big fat Tad Williams books to read after I read my big fat George RR Martins. :)

Awesome!  I want to read Shadowmarch, and perhaps his newer series.  I have fond memories of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and Otherland.  I have a signed copy of one of Tad Williams novels somewhere around my apartment.

The last Martin novel came out years ago and there is no date for the next entry.  Why are you rereading A Song of Ice and Fire now?

mn dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 22, 2014, 07:54:04 AM
The last Martin novel came out years ago and there is no date for the next entry.  Why are you rereading A Song of Ice and Fire now?

First time through. :) I bought A Game of Thrones when it first came out (after reading an excerpt in a magazine), then got distracted shortly thereafter, like I do...

SQUIRREL!

Bogey

I am considering another read through the Harry Potter series.  I remember reading them so quickly the first round as they came out that it might be fun to revisit.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

mn dave

Quote from: Bogey on June 22, 2014, 09:06:41 AM
I am considering another read through the Harry Potter series.  I remember reading them so quickly the first round as they came out that it might be fun to revisit.

I haven't read them but I did see the first movie.

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on June 22, 2014, 09:06:41 AM

On my reread I got stuck on book 5.  It was just too long and meandering to sit through a second time.  The Goblet of Fire remains my favorite.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 22, 2014, 08:05:04 AM
First time through. :) I bought A Game of Thrones when it first came out (after reading an excerpt in a magazine), then got distracted shortly thereafter, like I do...

SQUIRREL!

Oh I didn't know.  I got into the series when Clash of Kings was a new release.  Thanks to Robert Jordan I wait for series to end now.  Speaking of which Sanderson is so awesome!  The Gathering Storm is as fast paced and exciting as the early novels.  Each chapter either advances character or plot in a meaningful way or has something cool happen.  It's been so very, very long that I felt that a Wheel of Time novel was hard to put down. :)

Bogey

Any of you cats read any books by  R.A. Salvatore (outside of Star Wars)?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on June 23, 2014, 06:14:31 PM
Yes. I enjoyed them once upon a time (those that I read). Though he kept writing about the same characters in the D&D world, so not sure if the more recent books are any good.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 24, 2014, 12:04:51 AM
Yes. I enjoyed them once upon a time (those that I read). Though he kept writing about the same characters in the D&D world, so not sure if the more recent books are any good.

Did you have one that you would rec that I start with?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on June 24, 2014, 09:18:35 AM
Did you have one that you would rec that I start with?
I'd read them (the series about Drizzt, the dark drow) in the order they were written, starting with the Crystal Shard or Icewind Dale Trilogy (of which Shard is the first book). It isn't as good a debut as the Wheel of Time, but there is a certain sincerity and honesty in these. Just go in expecting fun and adventure and you should enjoy it. Some might recommend the second trilogy first (which starts with Homeland), as chronologically, it takes place before the first trilogy (and explains a number of things about his past). I think he had become a better writer by the second trilogy. Either could be a logical jumping off point.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Thanks.

Also, started the second book in this long series:

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on June 23, 2014, 06:14:31 PM

Yes the Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy.  Second is too LoTR-esque, the first is fun.

DavidW

Speaking of Star Wars: I recently read Revan, a Star Wars novel that finishes the story of the games (Knights of the Old Republic).  As a huge fan of kotor 1 and 2 it was awesome to see the main characters side by side fighting off the big bad.

Anyway I'm reading Thirteen by Richard Morgan right now.  After my head exploded from recently reading the space operas: Reynold's The Prefect, Bank's Player of Games and Use of Weapons, Thirteen is a refreshing change of pace. It is a gritty noir in a semi-plausible near future. 

Karl Henning

I'm not reading it myself, nor do I know the title/author, but my old schoolmate Scott has been reading a book about sentient lobsters.

Just saying.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2014, 05:48:04 AM

Anyway I'm reading Thirteen by Richard Morgan right now.  After my head exploded from recently reading the space operas: Reynold's The Prefect, Bank's Player of Games and Use of Weapons, Thirteen is a refreshing change of pace. It is a gritty noir in a semi-plausible near future.

Sounds Balderunner-ish.  I will check that one out, David.  Oy, Karl-reeno!

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on June 25, 2014, 06:11:54 AM
I'm not reading it myself, nor do I know the title/author, but my old schoolmate Scott has been reading a book about sentient lobsters.

Just saying.
Maine or South African?

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on June 25, 2014, 09:32:02 AM
Sounds Balderunner-ish.  I will check that one out, David.  Oy, Karl-reeno!

No wait!  Now that I'm half way through it, I say don't read it.  It starts well but then fizzles out.  It just becomes a way for the author to rant and rant and rant about how much he hates America.  The characters monologue page after page about it without advancing the story or characters.  It was so awesome in the first 100 pages, but I can't stand it now.

Better to go back to Gibson or Dick for the same fix.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2014, 05:25:34 PM
No wait!  Now that I'm half way through it, I say don't read it.  It starts well but then fizzles out.  It just becomes a way for the author to rant and rant and rant about how much he hates America.  The characters monologue page after page about it without advancing the story or characters.  It was so awesome in the first 100 pages, but I can't stand it now.

Better to go back to Gibson or Dick for the same fix.

What do you like from Gibson?