What was your first classical LP or CD?

Started by vandermolen, June 06, 2007, 06:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Rimsky Korsakov: Scherezade (Reiner Chicago SO RCA LP)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mark

A four-CD set of the 'Best of ... ' Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

But for a proper CD (well, two), it was John Lanchberry conducting the Philharmonia in Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. Still my absolute favourite. :)

Harry

Lp was the complete works of Chopin.
Cd was the Third Symhony by Bax.

bhodges

LP: Respighi: Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome (Sir Malcolm Sargent/LSO) - A gift from my violin teacher, after I heard the Dallas Symphony Orchestra play the Pines.

CD: Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead, Symphonic Dances (Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw) - Heard this at Tower Records in Washington, DC and was totally transfixed...had to buy it right there, on the spot.  Bought it before I owned a CD player.  ;D

--Bruce

Mark

Quote from: bhodges on June 06, 2007, 06:25:31 AM
CD: Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead, Symphonic Dances (Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw) - Heard this at Tower Records in Washington, DC and was totally transfixed...had to buy it right there, on the spot.  Bought it before I owned a CD player.  ;D

--Bruce

Superb recording that, Bruce. :)

toledobass

I was playing electric bass and my teacher gave me 2 recordings.  Stravinsky conducting Le Sacre and Stravinsky conducting the Firebird.

Allan

Florestan

LP: Schumann's Piano Concerto / Richter / Rowicki / Warsaw National PO
CD: Beethoven's Fifth and Sixth / Karajan / Berlin PO (a pirate copy, mind you :) )
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

springrite

Dvorak New World Symphony, Giulini conducting the Philharmonia (Seraphim)

vandermolen

I forgot to mention my first CD which was Tubin Symphony 2 and 6 (BIS), bought before I had a CD player  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: Captain Haddock on June 06, 2007, 06:39:23 AM
I forgot to mention my first CD which was Tubin Symphony 2 and 6 (BIS), bought before I had a CD player  ::)

Excellent, that was a good choice, as I well know. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on June 06, 2007, 06:19:28 AM
Lp was the complete works of Chopin.
Cd was the Third Symhony by Bax.

Which version of the Bax ?

I wish that RCA would issue the Edward Downes LSO recording on CD which was my introduction to this great work in the 1970s.

johnshade

~
Brahms Symphony No. 1 (Columbia LP purchased in 1955)
Conductor: Arthur Rodzinski, New York Philharmonic
(Played many times after purchase. No subsequent version I like as well.)
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Hector

'Furtwangler Goes Pop' an LP of the GOM conducting popular classics such as Hebrides, Oberon, Emperor Waltz etc on HMV (EMI). The sleeve had bubbles on.

Cluytens and the BPO in Beethoven 5 and Leonore III. Quite famous a performance of the 5th, now!

Sawallisch and the Philharmonia in the Nutcracker Suite and excerpts from Swan Lake. Never reissued on CD?

The Ballet Theatre Orch. under Joseph Levine in substantial excerpts (a single LP) from Sleeping Beauty. Never reissued on CD?

All from EMI but in those days it was HMV, Columbia and Capitol.

All mono!

Christmas presents, all.

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on June 06, 2007, 06:40:49 AM
Excellent, that was a good choice, as I well know. :)

Yeah, it's a great disc, espec the spectacular recording of Symphony 2 "Legendary" which blew my head when listening to it on a friend's CD headphones before I had a CD player myself.

Thanks everyone for the v interesting replies :)

George

Disc one from this set:

About 3 months ago, I finally completed the set. I also have the overtures. I recommmed all discs without reservation.

71 dB

LP: I don't have classical music on vinyl.
CD: Mussorgsky - The Greatest Classical Hit - Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra/Ivan Marinov. [GCH 2428]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Novi

Glenn Gould's WTC

I remember saying to my sister, I don't like this recording - it sounds like there's monks chanting in the background. (This was way back before I knew anything about artists and their idiosyncrasies ... obviously).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Daverz

I think it was an el cheapo Turnabout Lp of Monteux and Munch conducting Rimsky-Korsakov.  Now looking around the 'net I see that they want $12 or $15 for this thing.  Sheesh.  I think some of these recordings made it to CD on the Munch and Monteux "Concert Hall Recordings" sets that were put out by Disky.

Another one that I got early on from Licorice Pizza was Bernstein conductiong La Valse, Bolero and Daphnis et Chloe Suite No. 2.  I didn't know until recently that Bernstein did the whole D&C ballet.

My first CD was years later, and that was Jeffrey Siegel playing Gershwin with Slatkin and St. Louis. 

I have that on a Vox Box now, and it is an excellent set and sounds better than that early CD.

However, the first CD that I ever heard was the original CD release of the Ferrier/Patzak/Walter DLvDE.   That was a mind blower.  I didn't even realize it was mono at first.

Daverz

Quote from: johnshade on June 06, 2007, 06:42:52 AM
~
Brahms Symphony No. 1 (Columbia LP purchased in 1955)
Conductor: Arthur Rodzinski, New York Philharmonic
(Played many times after purchase. No subsequent version I like as well.)

I picked that up recently at a thrift shop.  Unfortunately, pickups of that era weighed about 10 tons, so copies of these Columbias that I find are usually pretty ground up.  This one seemed maybe a little less ground up than usual.    I might try ripping it to mp3, though I don't really have the right kind of stylus for it.  (I also found one of Rodzinski doing La Mer with Cleveland that was in OK shape.)

not edward

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the Bohm recording of Bruckner's 4th symphony on Decca.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music