What was your first classical LP or CD?

Started by vandermolen, June 06, 2007, 06:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronSF

Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, Istomin, Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra on a Columbia LP.  I think I was 13 when I bought this.

Lisztianwagner

LP: Wagner's Götterdämmerung/Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker/DG (1971) (the first and only LP I have)
CD: Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro/Kleiber/Wiener Philharmoniker/Decca Legends (1955)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ritter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 17, 2022, 12:36:38 PM
LP: Wagner's Götterdämmerung/Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker/DG (1971) (the first and only LP I have)
CD: Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro/Kleiber/Wiener Philharmoniker/Decca Legends (1955)
Not bad entry points, Ilaria, not bad at all!  :). Good evening to you!

By coincidence, my first LP was Karajan's recording of Das Rheingold. And the Kleiber Figaro had been in my dad's collection since before I was born.

The batch of CDs we got when my dad purchased our first CD player included Verdi's Falstaff in the Giulini recording on DG (which had just been released at the time). There were other things in that first contingent, for sure, but that's the one I remember.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ritter on May 17, 2022, 12:45:49 PM
Not bad entry points, Ilaria, not bad at all!  :). Good evening to you!

By coincidence, my first LP was Karajan's recording of Das Rheingold. And the Kleiber Figaro had been in my dad's collection since before I was born.

The batch of CDs we got when my dad purchased our first CD player included Verdi's Falstaff in the Giulini recording on DG (which had just been released at the time). There were other things in that first contingent, for sure, but that's the one I remember.

Thank you, yours don't seem bad either!!  :) Good evening to you too, Rafael!

Unfortunately, the negative side is that I haven't got a record player, so I have never been able to listen to the Wagner LP.
About Kleiber's Figaro, after many years and many listening, I still think it's absolutely the best recording ever made of that opera, even much better than Karajan's.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Cato

First CD was won via a "Name That Tune" contest on a classical radio station: Schoenberg's Verklaerte Nacht with Wagner's Siegfried Idyll.

First record was the DGG 2-record set of Eugen Jochum conducting Bruckner's Symphony #7.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 18, 2022, 05:26:51 PM
First CD was won via a "Name That Tune" contest on a classical radio station: Schoenberg's Verklaerte Nacht with Wagner's Siegfried Idyll.

First record was the DGG 2-record set of Eugen Jochum conducting Bruckner's Symphony #7.

Most suitable!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

geralmar

Quote from: Cato on May 18, 2022, 05:26:51 PM
First CD was won via a "Name That Tune" contest on a classical radio station: Schoenberg's Verklaerte Nacht with Wagner's Siegfried Idyll..

Fascinating.  My first CD I won in a classical music radio station contest where the question was, "Name the lead actors who played the title roles in " The Magnificent Seven".  I had purchased a bargain CD player; but balked at paying $18 U.S. for a CD.

DizzyD

This one, which was really cheap at the neighborhood Record Bar waaaaaay back when, while I was in my teens. Sadly I don't have it anymore...or any other LPs.  :(

Peter Power Pop

My first classical LP was a double-LP of Ravel conducted by Ernest Ansermet. It had a silver cover.

My first classical CD was this:

Florestan

There were three:

All of them bought for me by my late father, may God rest him in peace, along with this beauty:

It was back then in 1986 and I was 14. Oh, happy days, where are you? Oh, father, where art thou?...

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini