How many unopened Cd's do you have?

Started by toledobass, June 06, 2007, 06:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

No unopened CDs, as far as I know. But I rarely, if ever, buy CDs.

All of the tracks that have never been played before get dumped into an automatic playlist called "Never Played". At the moment that's 27,077 tracks, totaling 106.9 days of music, or 16.5% of my music library—roughly the equivalent of 2,000 CDs. Most of them are pieces that I didn't get around to on a particular album, but in a few cases there are probably complete albums I haven't listened to either.

Andante

Just a handful that well meaning people have given as Xmas presents like Christmas at Downton Abby etc.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Mirror Image

I own a lot that are still sealed, but there must be a hundreds that aren't sealed that I haven't even played. :-[ But, to be honest, I'm not too worried about it. The point in having a large collection is being able to access a lot of different composers whenever you feel the urge to hear their music at any given time.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2021, 09:26:31 PM
I own a lot that are still sealed, but there must be a hundreds that aren't sealed that I haven't even played. :-[ But, to be honest, I'm not too worried about it. The point in having a large collection is being able to access a lot of different composers whenever you feel the urge to hear their music at any given time.

That is so true. A section may remain dormant for ages and all of a sudden my interest is sparked. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2021, 09:26:31 PM

The urge yes, but also the item's uncertain future availability. Sometimes you have to pounce before it disappears for good... ???

prémont

Quote from: André on January 22, 2021, 05:04:10 AM
The urge yes, but also the item's uncertain future availability. Sometimes you have to pounce before it disappears for good... ???

I use to say: Purchase when the item is available and listen when the time is available.

I have no unopened CDs, as I always unwrap them, as soon as they are delivered, to see if everything is OK. But I have a number of unlistened-to CDs, maybe 500 or so.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 22, 2021, 05:04:10 AM

This is true, especially with availability of so many recordings these days. It seems they're out-of-print just as fast as they were in-print.

vandermolen

Quote from: Andante on January 21, 2021, 07:01:54 PM
Just a handful that well meaning people have given as Xmas presents like Christmas at Downton Abby etc.
So, what's wrong with Christmas at Downton Abbey?  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Szykneij

This thread reminded me that I bought a lot of 300+ unopened classical cds several years ago I had forgotten all about until now. At the time, I removed those of immediate interest, leaving duplicates and others packed in a large box. While many are compilations that most here wouldn't be interested in, there are a number of very good Arabesque issues that are super pricey on Amazon. I might list them here on the "Buy, Swap and Sell" section to see if there is any interest before putting them up on Ebay.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Daverz

Wow, I responded to this thread 11 years ago!  Obama was President and the Dems were still in control of both houses of Congress, but soon to lose control for a decade.

These days I immediately rip every CD that comes in with dBPoweramp.  That way I know if there are problems reading the the CD without having to wait until I have time to listen to it.

Madiel

Unlistened is primarily what has only arrived in the last couple of weeks from my recent bout of purchases. The whole rule is that I can't go purchasing until I've largely listened to the previous chunk.

Of course, the rule used to be until I'd entirely listened to the previous chunk.

Of previous purchases, there are about 5 discs that haven't been entirely listened to. The only ones that haven't been heard at all are the last half dozen discs of Suzuki cantatas, which have been patiently waiting their turn since November 2014 when I nabbed the last of the series of box sets.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Andante

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2021, 09:20:27 AM
So, what's wrong with Christmas at Downton Abbey?  8)
Probably nothing if that's you cup of tea, it is just not for me, I do most sincerely apologise to all followers of Downton Abbey  :(
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.