How do most composers normally orchestrate?

Started by greg, June 06, 2007, 06:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Cato on June 16, 2007, 03:53:29 PM
That is what the musicologist meant as a negative criticism: that the melodies tended to be things easily tapped out.  Certainly you can find examples counter to the claim in Wagner.

hm, it'd be better to ask a real Wagner fan, like PerfectWagnerite......

Steve

Quote from: Cato on June 16, 2007, 11:07:21 AM
The physical limitations inhibit your mental ability: which is why I always preferred the imagination over any thing I might tap out on the piano.

It has been written somewhere by a musicologist or biographer that Wagner's poor abilities on the piano affected his abilities as a composer of melodies.

That's an interesting idea. Does seem to make sense.

Mark G. Simon

What it means is that whenever he stole an idea from another composer he's saved from plagiarism because his version is so much slower than the original.

Montpellier

I suppose if it's going to be an orchestral piece it comes to me orchestrally but I usually sketch in short score with notes about the instruments.  It might expand to 3 or 4 staves depending what's going on but gets quite a mess - I usually write a simple outline and decorate it later if the decorations don't come into mind at the time.  Circumstances make it easier to work on paper, convenient beacuse cut and paste means just that. 

It's iterative though.  There's this nasty habit of rethinking as one goes along.