Dvorak's SQ HQ

Started by snyprrr, July 31, 2009, 10:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Regrettably, I'm just not too fond of Nos.12-14. I have the Panocha in 12/14 and the ABQ in 13. Of course, No.12 has its charms, but, overall, these 3 SQs leave me chewing my cud. Sorry!

I haven't heard the rest (unless unconsciously on the radio). I hear No.1 is 70mins.! Nos.5-9 seem to form a block. 10-11 remain a mystery. I am especially interested in the minor keys of 5-9; I'm sure there's got to be some intersting stuff there.

Does anyone feel like waxing rhapsodic?

ChamberNut

???  First with Schubert's late quartets, now with Dvorak's?   ???  Perhaps they are just not your thing.  Maybe you just don't like the Czech/Slavonic style of writing.

DavidW

I think you don't like the classico-romantic period snips. :)

snyprrr

ack! du liebe

I just can't get any traction here, can I? ;D I have noticed a few others who weren't all that turned on by Dvorak's last two SQs (hey, I assumed I was going to like them... it's not my fault! ;D).

But, my point was that I haven't heard any of the earlier SQs. Any personal favs, or SQ by SQ critiques? I'm all ears here. I have to believe that one of those juicy little minor key SQs will speak to me.

C'mon, bust out your Dvorak and edumacate me! We neeed some Dvorak SQ talk around here.

DavidW

Quote from: snyprrr on July 31, 2009, 02:57:41 PM
I have noticed a few others who weren't all that turned on by Dvorak's last two SQs

Ah but what separates you from them is the fact that you also don't like most of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert!  I don't even want to ask about Brahms, Schumann, Faure and Mendelssohn. :D

Let's see if we can broaden your dismissal over a larger time frame. ;D  My favorite string quartets of the 20th century are by Schoenberg, Webern, Bartok, Shostakovich, Schnittke, Ligeti, Carter, Gorecki and Janacek.  Will you please listen to them and then post your reviews? ;D

snyprrr

I am sooooo misunderstood! ;D :'(

Herman

Quote from: snyprrr on July 31, 2009, 03:34:29 PM
I am sooooo misunderstood! ;D :'(

Part of the problem could be you don't express your thoughts very well; not even to yourself, I suspect.

Anyway, Dvorak's last quartets are splendid. Especially nr 13, in G major is one of Dvorak's top works, along with Piano Quintet op 81 and the String Quintet op 97. Nr 14 is great, too. Personally I find his earlier SQs a bit long winded and too loosely structured.

snyprrr

hornteacher

Number 10 is very accessible and is very well constructed.  Takacs has a great recording of it coupled with the gorgeous Piano Quintet.

ChamberNut

Snipster,

Perhaps give the Cypresses for string quartet, B152 a spin?  :)