In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones?

Started by Que, June 06, 2007, 10:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

I'm looking for new earbuds to go with my iPod.
Since the music I listen to, is often drowned by extraneous sounds in the soft passages, these in-ear sound isolating earbuds seem a good idea.

Does it work?

Which ones do you recommend?

These seem very popular: Ethymotic, Shure, Sennheiser, Ultimate.

Your input is much appreciated!  :)

Q

BachQ

Quote from: Que on June 06, 2007, 10:43:32 AM
overstemmed

Nice word!

My concern with this type of product is, very simply, hearing damage.  With the sound so immediately penetrating your ear, I suspect that the resultant damage could be significant unless you are very disciplined and careful.

Que

Quote from: D Minor on June 06, 2007, 10:57:47 AM
Nice word!

Oh dear....is it English?  :-\   I'll check!  ;D

Quote from: D Minor on June 06, 2007, 10:57:47 AM
My concern with this type of product is, very simply, hearing damage.  With the sound so immediately penetrating your ear, I suspect that the resultant damage could be significant unless you are very disciplined and careful.

I believe the idea is that it's actually helps to prevent hearing damage because you're able to turn down the volume and still hear the music,

Q

PerfectWagnerite

You think you really need them? I use in ear headphones quite a bit and let me tell you they are LOUD. I can't imagine what kind of ear drum damage the sound-isolating ones will cause.

Que

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 06, 2007, 11:48:53 AM
You think you really need them? I use in ear headphones quite a bit and let me tell you they are LOUD. I can't imagine what kind of ear drum damage the sound-isolating ones will cause.

I have used the standard iPod earbuds till now, and tend to play at low volume - I have sensitive and well preserved ears. But the result is that I hear 50% music and 50% other sounds....

Q

BachQ

Quote from: Que on June 06, 2007, 11:52:44 AM
But the result is that I hear 50% music and 50% other sounds....

Which is why most people keep turning up the volume (i.e., to block-out external noise) .......

It takes a very disciplined person to resist turning up the volume under these circumstances .........