Edvard Grieg: Symphony in C minor

Started by Steve, June 05, 2007, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Recently, I've been delving into the repotoire of this important Norwegian composer. Its been mostly concerti, dances, and the occassional song. A recording of his Symphony in C Minor was featured over at Naxos, and I decided to give it a listen. The result: A cheifly romantic piece with interwoven folk melodies and terrific progressions. Anyway, as this was my first listen, I'm going to be looking into others soon to make a purchase.

Any recommendations for this Symphony, or other related Grieg works, are requested.

The second movement, Adagio espressivo, is really quite moving. Interesting tempo marking, too.

Just for reference, the Naxos Disc features Malmo Symphony Orchestra and Bjarte Engeset

Thanks,  in advance.  :)

AB68

Neeme Järvi has recorded it with the Gothenburgh Symphony Orchestra for DG.

Steve

Quote from: AB68 on June 05, 2007, 04:35:46 PM
Neeme Järvi has recorded it with the Gothenburgh Symphony Orchestra for DG.

Would you recommend that performance?

AB68

Well, it's the only recording I have heard of the work, so I have nothinh to compare it with, but, yes, I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I no longer have the disc.

Steve

Quote from: AB68 on June 05, 2007, 04:54:06 PM
Well, it's the only recording I have heard of the work, so I have nothinh to compare it with, but, yes, I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I no longer have the disc.

Thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at it, then.  :)

Harry

This one will do nicely Steve, bought it a week ago, and its truly wonderful. Good sound too.

Steve

Quote from: Harry on June 05, 2007, 11:50:06 PM
This one will do nicely Steve, bought it a week ago, and its truly wonderful. Good sound too.

Thanks for the rec, Harry   :)