[Desert Island]Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello

Started by Opus106, August 12, 2009, 06:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello

BWV 1001 - 1006 (v)
BWV 1007 - 1012 (c)

Opus106

I have heard only a little of the violin works, but I like them a lot more than the works for cello. And those suites are probably the only works in Bach's catalogue which do not get me as excited as any of his keyboard, orchestral or choral output do. They're only near the bottom of my favourite Bach works, not of all music. :)

You may also mention the recordings that you'd like to have at The Island.*  

Standard Desert IslandTM rules apply.
Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

The cello for me, by a wide margin. My favorite recording is the Fournier -- not the DG which is great but another recording I have. I also have a soft spot for the Starker.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Bulldog

I have to go with the Suites for Cello.  My favorite is Paolo Beschi on Winter & Winter.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

DFO

To me, the solo sonatas are some of the best works ever written for the violin; but I much prefer the cello suites to the violin partitas, except the chaconne.
On recordings, I take Szering and first Starker, Tortellier and Fournier.

Opus106

Quote from: DFO on August 12, 2009, 07:11:50 AM
To me, the solo sonatas are some of the best works ever written for the violin; but I much prefer the cello suites to the violin partitas, except the chaconne.
On recordings, I take Szering and first Starker, Tortellier and Fournier.

Et tu? :(

Oh, and as per the Standard Desert Island Rules, you're allowed to take only one set of recordings. Either all works in the set by performer x; or work 1 by performer x1, work 2 by performer x 2 (x1 and x2 can be the same), and so on. :)

Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

The cello suites are beautiful to my ear, while those violin works sound like tedious mechanical exercises.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

I'm pretty sure if I brought a usb stick I could easily accommodate all of these works.  Just saying. :)

Opus106

Quote from: Franco on August 12, 2009, 07:31:08 AM
I refuse this poll.

Thanks for being so polite. My Desert Island polls are usually known to result in people cursing me. ;D

Quote from: DavidW on August 12, 2009, 07:38:09 AM
I'm pretty sure if I brought a usb stick I could easily accommodate all of these works.  Just saying. :)

Yeah, why not bring your music collection on that 160 GB iPod along with a solar-powered+wind-powered iPod charger. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: opus106 on August 12, 2009, 07:42:49 AM
Yeah, why not bring your music collection on that 160 GB iPod along with a solar-powered+wind-powered iPod charger. :P

Good idea, it would easily hold the complete works of Bach! :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

cliftwood

My desert  island pick is Gregory Fulkerson's recording of the violin suites.

Incomparable..........IMHO ;)

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus106 on August 12, 2009, 06:31:38 AM
And those suites are probably the only works in Bach's catalogue which do not get me as excited as any of his keyboard, orchestral or choral output do.

Complete, complete opposites of the spectrum.  The Cello Suites, by far, are my favorite Bach works, followed by the Solo Violin Suites.  And, I get way, way more excited about these than the rest of Bach.

ChamberNut

Casals for the Cello Suites (because that's the only set I have).  Just wish the sound was a lot better.

George

Cello Suites for sure!

To be specific, Wispelwey's recording of the suites on Channel Classics. (the newer of his two recordings)