[Desert Island]Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello

Started by Opus106, August 12, 2009, 06:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello

BWV 1001 - 1006 (v)
BWV 1007 - 1012 (c)

Keemun

Definitely the Cello Suites, and probably Fournier. 8)  The Violin Partitas give me a headache (literally). :P
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bulldog on August 12, 2009, 06:40:05 AM
I have to go with the Suites for Cello.  My favorite is Paolo Beschi on Winter & Winter.

Cello suites.

And, yes, Beschi is such an amazing advocate for these works.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Franco

Okay, after listening to both the Cello Suites (Fournier) and the Solo Violin Sonatas & Partitas (Podger), I can now say that I would prefer the violin pieces to the cello set.

The sound of the violin, at least from Rachel Podger, is enchantingly beuatiful, and lighter, not as dark as the cello - which all adds up to my ear becoming less tired from extended listening, which, on a desert island, would be an issue.

DavidW

Quote from: Franco on August 13, 2009, 05:46:55 AM
The sound of the violin, at least from Rachel Podger, is enchantingly beuatiful, and lighter, not as dark as the cello - which all adds up to my ear becoming less tired from extended listening, which, on a desert island, would be an issue.

I think that in general treble-y music is more exhausting to listen to.  Listening to solo violin music is easily fatiguing while the same can't be said for the cello.

DavidW

In fact I was thinking of it more, and to me I think why I dislike those famous solo violin works is that the violin by itself is simply too bright, listening to only it is simply too exhausting.  I think that's why it's usually coupled with something bassy to give a fuller range.  Violin sonata = violin & piano, string quartet = cello in the mix, piano trio= piano and cello, orchestra=well duh!

Now a piano stands on it's own easily because of it's full range, it doesn't assault the ears with the aggressive forward sound a violin makes, nor is it stuck with a dark sound like the cello.  No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

Franco

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2009, 05:57:00 AM
I think that in general treble-y music is more exhausting to listen to.  Listening to solo violin music is easily fatiguing while the same can't be said for the cello.

Obviously, we disagree.

:)

George

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2009, 06:08:09 AM
In fact I was thinking of it more, and to me I think why I dislike those famous solo violin works is that the violin by itself is simply too bright, listening to only it is simply too exhausting. 

Absolutely.

Now a piano stands on it's own easily because of it's full range, it doesn't assault the ears with the aggressive forward sound a violin makes, nor is it stuck with a dark sound like the cello.  No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

Piano is king!  $:)

Opus106

Quote from: Franco on August 13, 2009, 05:46:55 AM
Okay, after listening to both the Cello Suites (Fournier) and the Solo Violin Sonatas & Partitas (Podger), I can now say that I would prefer the violin pieces to the cello set.

Interesting exercise: to compare two HIP sets with one another, and then two non-HIP/old-school sets. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

The organ!

King Harry already declared it as the Master of all Instruments. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Florestan

Organ and guitar as well.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Franco

DavidW

Right, yeah I will add the organ to the list, didn't think of that. :)

ChamberNut

David/Franco,

Why don't you compromise and take half of each set of suites, both played by the Viola!  :D

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 13, 2009, 08:03:18 AM
David/Franco,

Why don't you compromise and take half of each set of suites, both played by the Viola!  :D

That sounds like a good compromise. :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus106 on August 13, 2009, 08:33:05 AM
The Desert Island Rules are, of course, uncompromising. >:D

Rules are meant to be broken!  Let chaos rule!!!  >:D $:) >:D

Wanderer

Neither!  >:D

I'd rather be stranded in the company of the keyboard music and the cantatas.

Lethevich

I can't pretend to be very knowledgable with Bach, but these two works are my favourites of his. As nice as the violin pieces are, if forced to pick one, the cello suites become a natural choice due to the perfect balance of the six - each one an incredible piece of music, with diverse moods and perfect contrasts.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

henry