HMV New York City

Started by op.110, June 06, 2007, 03:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

op.110

For those of you living in the New York City Area, I forgot where HMV is located, as I used to go to Tower at Lincoln Center to do my CD shopping. Could someone give me the street and ave of its location?

George

Quote from: op.110 on June 06, 2007, 03:18:30 PM
For those of you living in the New York City Area, I forgot where HMV is located, as I used to go to Tower at Lincoln Center to do my CD shopping. Could someone give me the street and ave of its location?

Unfortunately HMV is no more in NYC.  :-\

I suggest going to JandR downtown for new CD's. Take the 4 or 5 or 6 to City Hall. Walk to Park Row and you can't miss it.

Or Academy Records for used at 18th street between 5th and 6th avenues.

orbital

How about that famous Colony in Times Square, do they carry classical? 

op.110

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 03:22:09 PM
Unfortunately HMV is no more in NYC.  :-\

I suggest going to JandR downtown for new CD's. Take the 4 or 5 or 6 to City Hall. Walk to Park Row and you can't miss it.

Or Academy Records for used at 18th street between 5th and 6th avenues.

That's unfortunate... what is the world coming to...
I had no idea JandR sold classical music. I'll definitely check that out. Do both stores have a large selection?
Thanks for your help!

George

Quote from: op.110 on June 06, 2007, 03:32:38 PM
That's unfortunate... what is the world coming to...
I had no idea JandR sold classical music. I'll definitely check that out. Do both stores have a large selection?
Thanks for your help!

JandR now has the best new selection. It's a small room, but they pack it in.

Academy has tons of used, more than any used store I have ever seen. 

George

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 03:26:27 PM
How about that famous Colony in Times Square, do they carry classical? 

Haven't been there. I try to stay far away from the insanity that is Times Square.  :)

orbital

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 03:42:18 PM
Haven't been there. I try to stay far away from the insanity that is Times Square.  :)
George, but those lights...  :D
You can approach from the north, quietly walking down 7th avenue. Colony is just at the border of insanity  >:D

I've been there once, and I found a Brazilian CD not to be found anywhere else (which I have since lent to an old business acquaintance never to see it again  ;D )  , but I was not into classical at the time, so I did not check what else they had.

op.110

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 03:42:18 PM

Agreed; I was about to resort to the Virgin megastore and browse through their pitiful collection of classical, but who the hell am I kidding. I can't stand the people in Times Square; they need to learn how how to walk at New York City pace and need to stop standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

George

Quote from: op.110 on June 06, 2007, 09:00:31 PM
Agreed; I was about to resort to the Virgin megastore and browse through their pitiful collection of classical, but who the hell am I kidding. I can't stand the people in Times Square; they need to learn how how to walk at New York City pace and need to stop standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

I am SO with you, bro!  :)

George

Quote from: orbital on June 06, 2007, 08:53:59 PM
George, but those lights...  :D
You can approach from the north, quietly walking down 7th avenue. Colony is just at the border of insanity  >:D

Good point. I would call first, but if they got classical, might make a good field trip. :)

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: op.110 on June 06, 2007, 09:00:31 PM

Perhaps you can give them lessons . . . .

PerfectWagnerite

The Virgin Megastore (14th Street, Union Sq.) actually has a pretty good selection. The Eloquence (Philips, DG, DECCA) series that Amazon sells for $11.99 only sells for $7.99 at Virgin. Everything else is no discount so you should probably go to J&R. J&R also has the best opera and Naxos selection. I think they may have every single Naxos CD you can ever want and usually at $6.99.

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 07, 2007, 06:18:40 AM
The Virgin Megastore (14th Street, Union Sq.) actually has a pretty good selection. The Eloquence (Philips, DG, DECCA) series that Amazon sells for $11.99 only sells for $7.99 at Virgin. Everything else is no discount so you should probably go to J&R. J&R also has the best opera and Naxos selection. I think they may have every single Naxos CD you can ever want and usually at $6.99.

Yes, right now they have a sale. All Naxos for $6.99 and also buy 2 get one free or buy 3 get one....I can't recall.  :-\

I ALWAYS find something at J&R, whereas with Virgin, I have to listen to three different kinds of music while I browse. That and the fact that is the only place that I seem to feel old.  :-\ 

orbital

Quote from: George on June 07, 2007, 05:44:24 AM
Good point. I would call first, but if they got classical, might make a good field trip. :)
Just checked their website. I was excited to see about 600 results when I typed Beethoven in the search box, and about 500 for Chopin, before I realized all items were sheet music  ;D

George

Quote from: orbital on June 07, 2007, 06:51:46 AM
Just checked their website. I was excited to see about 600 results when I typed Beethoven in the search box, and about 500 for Chopin, before I realized all items were sheet music  ;D

Just as I was excited until I reached the end of your post.  :P

;D

head-case

Why trudge to a store when you can buy all you want on the I N T E R N E T.

MishaK

Quote from: head-case on June 07, 2007, 07:35:50 AM

Because it's nice to look at the physical object and inspect recording details which most internet retailers fail to provide in sufficient detail. It's also easier to find things you never knew existed in a well stocked physical store as opposed to an internet retailer, where browsing is diffcult and time consuming and where the results of your seacrh are only as good as your search parameters and the programming of the search engine.

head-case

Quote from: O Mensch on June 07, 2007, 07:45:25 AM
Because it's nice to look at the physical object and inspect recording details which most internet retailers fail to provide in sufficient detail. It's also easier to find things you never knew existed in a well stocked physical store as opposed to an internet retailer, where browsing is diffcult and time consuming and where the results of your seacrh are only as good as your search parameters and the programming of the search engine.

Huh?  If I go to amazon and type "the Art of the Fugue" I immediately get a listing of all ~50 recordings currently available (with the option to buy new with overnight shipping or used from a great variety of Amazon Marketplace and zshop sellers).  I can listen to track samples from many of the recordings, and refer to the publisher's web site for any additional details.  I can also read customer and editorial reviews of the recordings.  If I go to HMV, maybe they will have two versions, I'll buy one without knowing about the other 48 versions that are available.  Record stores may make sense for pop musics, where 90% of the public comes in looking for the same 20 popular releases, but in classical music, where there are 60,000 titles available, a retail outlet is an absurdity, which is exactly why they are all closing.

op.110

Quote from: head-case on June 07, 2007, 07:35:50 AM

novelty.

op.110

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on June 07, 2007, 05:56:13 AM
Perhaps you can give them lessons . . . .

You can't teach a dog new tricks, and you can't teach tourists $%*T. They wouldn't begin to understand the hustle and bussle of New York City. Time is highly valued in the city; time is money... so get moving!