Classical Era Form

Started by Mozart, August 06, 2009, 02:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/2jFipZ-qyRA

So where exactly does them 1 end and the modulating bridge begin?

Theme 1 goes until about :14? I find it hard to tell sometimes.

And theme 2 starts at :35-:54
and at :54 is the part going to cadence?

Next a repeat

and the development goes between 2:54 to 3:35

then the recapitulation with the 2nd theme in the tonic key
and a coda
and then the development is repeated
5:48 is theme 1 again
6:01 modulating bridge?
6:20 theme 2
6:37 cadence stuff
7:09 coda

is this about right?
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Gurn Blanston

I found this site one day while looking for analyses, and I thought it was one of the coolest things! Check it out and play with it a little. You will find the answers to your questions and more. I wish I could do this, analyze AND do flash animation. Don't be put off by the French. you can figure it out. :)

8)

http://www.ecouteactive.fr/mozartwa/menuMozart.html

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 38 Op 33 #2 Quartet in Eb 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato[/url]
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mozart

Ahh thanks Gurn! Thats really cool :) I wish there were more like it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mozart on August 06, 2009, 05:59:21 PM
Ahh thanks Gurn! Thats really cool :) I wish there were more like it.

It's written by a schoolteacher for his (her? Teri ) students. Good teacher. Glad it helped. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 42 Op 33 #6 Quartet in D 2nd mvmt - Andante

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mozart

If a relative major/minor use the same notes, why can they sound so different? C major and a minor use the same scale, but start in different places, that alone changes the mood?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mozart on August 06, 2009, 06:17:41 PM
If a relative major/minor use the same notes, why can they sound so different? C major and a minor use the same scale, but start in different places, that alone changes the mood?

Play it on a piano, all on the white keys. If you start on C, the semitone falls in one place, but if you start on A, it falls in a different place. So the 3rd (middle note of the triad) is a semitone lower in a minor and that makes it sound really different. But hey, were getting into stuff that I am totally ignorant of. Let's have a musician take the reins. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 43 Op 42 Quartet in d 4th mvmt - Finale: Presto

jochanaan

The difference is on which note the tonality centers.  In C major, everything relates to the note C and the triad with C as its root, but in a minor everything centers on the A.  Which notes are used doesn't matter as much as which are emphasized.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mozart

Quote from: jochanaan on August 06, 2009, 08:04:59 PM
The difference is on which note the tonality centers.  In C major, everything relates to the note C and the triad with C as its root, but in a minor everything centers on the A.  Which notes are used doesn't matter as much as which are emphasized.

Hmmmm

So how are they related at all? If there is a modulation from a relative minor to major, would it sound odd? How exactly is modulation accomplished? So much I don't understand yet...

I hear these things like ahh this is where Beethoven is a genius, he is nowhere near the home key and somehow modulates to it with 4 notes.

jochanaan

Quote from: Mozart on August 08, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
Hmmmm

So how are they related at all? If there is a modulation from a relative minor to major, would it sound odd?
Not at all.  In fact, you'd have to call attention to it in some way for it to be noticed.  Some composers like to go back and forth between relative major and minor.
Quote from: Mozart on August 08, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
How exactly is modulation accomplished? So much I don't understand yet...

I hear these things like ahh this is where Beethoven is a genius, he is nowhere near the home key and somehow modulates to it with 4 notes.
A modulation is just a key change, sometimes notated as a change in key signature, sometimes not.  "Brilliant" modulations are those where with just a few notes or chords, the tonal center is shifted to a new one and yet the music continues its flow.  For example, one could change from C major to C# minor with a single chord between the new keys, and depending on how the chords are "voiced," that is, which notes are actually used in the change, it could be either clumsy or brilliant.  (Bruckner's modulations have been called both. ;D)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

eyeresist

I think this is a question for the ages, or else for someone at the cutting edge of neurological science.