Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 992552 times)

Sergeant Rock, Daverz, Traverso and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #39780 on: Today at 02:01:23 AM »

This is an absolutely wonderful version of the Beethoven Violin Concerto, both for Thomas Zehetmair's magical playing and the orchestral contribution under Frans Brüggen.

I have only once heard Thomas Zehetmair live, at a concert in Grenoble when he played the Brahms Violin Concerto, and he was superb then too. He doesn't have the same high profile as some violinists but his playing was abolutely mesmersing, as it is here.

Highly recommended.

I presume that version is the same as this one....

....which is the one that I own.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #39781 on: Today at 02:11:50 AM »
This one jumped on the top of the pile when I heard it.  :)

And Zehetmair and Brüggen must have had something special, because this success was repeated with the Mozart concertos!

+1  :)

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #39782 on: Today at 02:12:14 AM »
Messiaen

Livre 4 & 5

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39783 on: Today at 02:12:55 AM »
Henrico Albicastro.

Cantate-Sonate & Concertos.

Guy de Mey, Tenor.
Ensemble 415, Chiara Banchini.
Recorded 1990. Musique d' abord series.

Guy the Mey is in excellent form in the cantate "Coelestes angelii chori", and gets fine support from Ensemble 415, who also excel in the concerti. Albicastro who was born in Switzerland around 1661, was master of the Chapel in Leiden, The Netherlands, under the name of J.H. Weyenbergh, 1686, he was was one of the most impressive Baroque violin virtuosi of his time. His ornamentation and improvisation are extraordinarily impressive to my ears, so this one is also a keeper. The sound is good. Not much is recorded of this master of many trades. This CD is OOP.

Could not find an image.

Looks nice as well, Harry!  :)

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #39784 on: Today at 02:21:24 AM »
John Kinsella - Symphony No.6

Olivier

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #39785 on: Today at 02:34:22 AM »
Earlier today I decided I wanted to listen to Dvorak's Requiem.

Because I was using streaming (and the version I have on CD wasn't there), I chose this version. And very good it was too. Lives up to all the positive reviews.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Cesar Franck, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
« Reply #39786 on: Today at 02:46:13 AM »
Earlier today I decided I wanted to listen to Dvorak's Requiem.

Because I was using streaming (and the version I have on CD wasn't there), I chose this version. And very good it was too. Lives up to all the positive reviews.

I just listened to the Requiem for the first time very recently (and it is this recording). It made a tremendously positive impression on me.

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #39787 on: Today at 03:01:14 AM »
I just listened to the Requiem for the first time very recently (and it is this recording). It made a tremendously positive impression on me.

Yes I'd seen your post. I'm also developing a fandom of Antoni Wit more generally. He seems to generate a lot of well-regarded recordings.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #39788 on: Today at 03:26:27 AM »
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 9 in E minor - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bryden Thomson. A spot of serendipity; I logged on to Spotify to listen to something else and it brought up my Playlists page (didn't know I had one). Track II of RVW9 was prominently displayed so I decided to play the whole symphony. I have the album as a lossless download but it was easier to stick with Spotify. Fine performance.

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #39789 on: Today at 03:43:59 AM »
Messiaen

Livre 7

AMSTERDAM - Very sorry for the Russian pianist Anatol Urgorski. He took the trouble to study the complete 'Catalog d'Oiseaux' for the first integral presentation during a concert in the Netherlands. A striking number of visitors to the Saturday matinee left the Concertgebouw at the first break.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #39790 on: Today at 03:49:11 AM »
Varese: Amériques [Boulez]

This is a powerful presentation of this work. Boulez drives it very well where it needs to be driven, almost brutally so in places. The conclusion is wonderfully tension filled and strongly dramatic.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #39791 on: Today at 03:51:08 AM »
Messiaen

Livre 7

AMSTERDAM - Very sorry for the Russian pianist Anatol Urgorski. He took the trouble to study the complete 'Catalog d'Oiseaux' for the first integral presentation during a concert in the Netherlands. A striking number of visitors to the Saturday matinee left the Concertgebouw at the first break.

I presume that was due to ignorance of the music on the part of the audience rather than his presentation of it?

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #39792 on: Today at 04:20:16 AM »
Continuing my delectation of La Venexiana's Madrigal box.  Yesterday while listening to Gesualdo, I had a sudden recollection of my early "Mad about Madrigals" experiences.  Things nearly forgotten...not mad, really, more annoying encounters having to do with them.  As a young college student, I had never heard one but had read about them and even the word fascinated me.  As a college freshman I asked the prof of my Music in Western Civilization class to play one and his response was "That's a bit rarefied for this class, I think."  It was the only music request of mine he didn't honor.  Six years later I heard a batch of them at a lunchtime concert at another university (where I worked). I was so enthralled, my lunch went untouched.  At the conclusion of the concert, which was very short, their ringleader asked the audience if anyone would like to hear a reprise of any of the songs as an encore.  Up went my hand and I asked for a Monteverdi madrigal they had done - cannot for the life o' me remember which one - and he said, brusquely, "No, we won't do that one again." Leaving me to wonder why, why?...  :(

« Last Edit: Today at 04:26:17 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #39793 on: Today at 04:21:31 AM »
John Kinsella - Symphony No.7

and on a less tense note, some oboe concertos by Albinoni.

Olivier