Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues

Started by The Mad Hatter, June 07, 2007, 03:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Hatter

I'm currently listening to Keith Jarrett's recording...it doesn't really do much for me...

Can anyone recommend a better one? Did Gould do a recording of them?

Harry

Well I thought the Naxos recording very fine. :)

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Harry on June 07, 2007, 03:15:46 AM
Well I thought the Naxos recording very fine. :)

Is that Jeno Jando? I'm a little lukewarm towards his Bach Preludes and Fugues, so I don't know if I'd like the Shostakovich.

BachQ

The Mad Hatter

*Wikis*

Ah, I might just get that one then, thanks guys.

Harry

Novi

Not very helpful since I've nothing to compare it to. But I've enjoyed Nikolaeva's op. 87.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

sidoze

Richter is the only name worth mentioning IMO. I think there's a new BBC Legends disc coming out with a larger-than-normal selection of them. Otherwise hunt around on labels like Praga and Melodya. He played quite a lot of them and no one played or plays them better.

karlhenning

Quote from: sidoze on June 07, 2007, 05:18:54 AM
Richter is the only name worth mentioning IMO.

The respectful opposition says Nikolayeva is the only name worth mentioning.

(Well, the respectful opposition would not normally express themselves in such terms, of course.)

The Scherbakov is good, too;  so I find that a name worth mentioning, as well.

Daverz

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on June 07, 2007, 03:04:39 AM
Did Gould do a recording of them?

No, but Richter recorded selected numbers.  Some were on Supraphon and some on Philips, with luckily only one duplication, P&F4.  Worth seeking out.  Otherwise, Scherbakov (Naxos) and Nikolayeva (Regis) are good

Dancing Divertimentian

Ashkenazy's set is good. As is Nikolayeva's second Moscow set (Regis).

Richter's scraps (Philips, Supraphon, Pyramid) are well worth seeking out.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 05:21:25 AM
The respectful opposition says Nikolayeva is the only name worth mentioning.

(Well, the respectful opposition would not normally express themselves in such terms, of course.)

The Scherbakov is good, too;  so I find that a name worth mentioning, as well.

Nikolayeva often was mentioned in the the old forum for these works, but apparently she recorded a number of sets w/ varying recommendations.  I agree w/ Karl & Harry about the Scherbakov performance on Naxos, which I own (also have had the Jarrett discs for years, but never did a back-back comparision, although I prefer the Naxos offering among those two); not sure if any 'newer' sets have emerged in the last year or so, but will be interested in additional comments & recommendations -  :)

SimonGodders

karlhenning

SimonGodders

Quote from: sidoze on June 07, 2007, 05:18:54 AM
Richter is the only name worth mentioning IMO. I think there's a new BBC Legends disc coming out with a larger-than-normal selection of them. Otherwise hunt around on labels like Praga and Melodya. He played quite a lot of them and no one played or plays them better.

That bloody Richter! Seem's to have a monopoly on everything, he can't have been that good.... :-\ ;)

SimonGodders

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 09:33:46 AM
Don has found him wanting.

I see, and Don is a 'fan' of Mustonen I believe...

Probably give his a miss then.

orbital

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 07, 2007, 09:34:58 AM
That bloody Richter! Seem's to have a monopoly on everything, he can't have been that good.... :-\ ;)
:D I think Chopin, in general, is free from his grip.

SimonGodders

Quote from: orbital on June 07, 2007, 09:40:11 AM
:D I think Chopin, in general, is free from his grip.

I might have to disagree there with you Orbital, but realise he's not a first choice for many in Chopin... ;)

orbital

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 07, 2007, 09:42:24 AM
I might have to disagree there with you Orbital, but realise he's not a first choice for many in Chopin... ;)
Except for a few etudes, he never piqued my interest there.

On the topic subject, I only have Ashkenazy as a full set (and whatever Richter has from either his Kiev or Prague series, can't remember which).  I like Ashkenazy, but I should try Nikolayeva too