Bach's Violin Sonatas & Partitas (solo)

Started by MISHUGINA, December 16, 2007, 01:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Six months ago, I left the post below which showed the 4 recordings owned of these works, 3 ladies and 1 guy - for whatever reason I culled out Barati (maybe wanting to replace him w/ another guy being discussed at the time in the thread?) - instead I'm now listening to Alina Ibragimova (an $18 bargain at BRO HERE) - her playing is quite spartan w/o vibrato - enjoying but not a replacement - an addition!  If so, I've got an 'all girl's club'! -  ???

Reviews are attached of the previous violinists and also of Alina for those interested - so just curious about new releases (which seen frequent in these pieces) and any re-juggling of the sexes for 'top honors' -  :laugh:   Thanks - Dave

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 13, 2022, 09:22:19 AM
Just perused this thread and amazed at how many old and newer recordings exist and are still coming!  My current 4 sets are shown below - the first two women still favorites for me, especially Ingrid Matthews who grew up in my home town of Winston-Salem, attended the NC School of the Arts HS, then went to Indiana University School of Music; her parents taught at the UNCSA (name change and part of the UNC system here). 

I listened to the first discs of each recording and enjoyed all - also looked at reviews (attached for those interested and trying to decide!) - don't want to add any more but could replace one (Pine or Barati but happy w/ them too); so, will be curious how others have changed there preferences over the years since the start of this thread in 2007!  Dave :)

Olias

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 12, 2022, 10:47:51 AM

Reviews are attached of the previous violinists and also of Alina for those interested - so just curious about new releases (which seen frequent in these pieces) and any re-juggling of the sexes for 'top honors' -  :laugh:   Thanks - Dave

Hey, I appreciate the reviews.  I've always loved my Hilary Hahn recordings, and there are many videos of her playing Bach as an encore on a live performance.  However, I like having multiple interpretations on some works.  These six sonatas/partitas are definitely something that can have many different effective versions.
"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

Mandryka

I've started to explore Fabio Bondi. Anyone else been there and done that?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 29, 2023, 12:12:54 PMI've started to explore Fabio Bondi. Anyone else been there and done that?

No, I have never been that impresssed by his Bach (concertos and violin/harpsichord sonatas with Alessandrini).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν