Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues

Started by The Mad Hatter, June 07, 2007, 03:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on March 14, 2009, 09:27:50 AM

But, just wondering if any newer releases have appeared and have been well received?  Thanks -  :)

Three that I'm aware of - Atma, Centaur and Brilliant Classics.  The Atma and Brilliant got some good reviews; don't know about the Centaur.

Brian

I'd like to bump this one in case anybody has had an encounter with this new offering from harmonia mundi:

2 CDs + a DVD with an interview of Melnikov by, of all people, Andreas Staier.

Scarpia

I originally know these from Ashkenazy's recording, but recently acquired this:

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on November 13, 2007, 11:07:07 PM
I haven't heard Jarret, but I found his Bach very dull.

A friend brought over the Jarret set, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is in the P&Fs we sampled.  With more experience with these I'd have to say that Nikolayeva could be somewhat clunky in the second Melodiya recording made relatively late in her career.

Bulldog

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2010, 02:53:39 PM
I'd like to bump this one in case anybody has had an encounter with this new offering from harmonia mundi:

As I noted on a another thread, I just ordered this set and will get back with some perceptions when I've heard it.

ccar

The composer may not always be the "best" interpreter of his own works. But Shostakovich was himself a fine pianist and naturally it is interesting to listen to his own readings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuj5uzgmB5A

Looking at the shelves I found 4 CDs with Dmitry Shostakovich playing various Preludes and Fugues (REVELATION 1952, REVELATION 1956, EMI 1958, CHANT DU MONDE 1958). These various recordings include 18 of the 24 op. 87 pieces played by the composer - No. 1-8, 12-14, 16-18, 20, 22-24.

k-k-k-kenny

Although I'm not deeply into it yet, I am finding Melnikov's enquiring traversal fascinating. He employs a far greater degree of contrast in both dynamics and tempo than either Nikolayeva (on Hyperion) or Ashkenazy.
Some might think it gaudy in places, but in light of his revelatory Scriabin and Rachmaninoff discs, I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt - though I see he has been little mentioned in these pages, he is a musician of the very first water.

Brian

Any further word on Melnikov? I do not own a recording of the complete P&Fs and have only heard a handful of them at present; I'm looking for a first and can possibly afford to buy two. It's a derby between Nikolayeva/Regis, Scherbakov/Naxos, and Melnikov/hm based on reputation, high contrast in styles, and fairly reasonable price point.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on July 17, 2010, 03:26:08 PM
Any further word on Melnikov? I do not own a recording of the complete P&Fs and have only heard a handful of them at present; I'm looking for a first and can possibly afford to buy two. It's a derby between Nikolayeva/Regis, Scherbakov/Naxos, and Melnikov/hm based on reputation, high contrast in styles, and fairly reasonable price point.

Hi Brian - I'd love to hear comments (esp. from Don, the 'Bulldog') on Melnikov myself; but maybe another one to put into your mix - Jenny Lin - review by David Hurwitz HERE; personally, I own your first two listings above, plus Lin & Jarrett (my first set from way back) - Dave  :D

Bulldog

For those interested, Nikolayeva's first recording is finally available on cd - Doremi.  Cost appears to be in the $60 range - ouch!

I forgot to mention the Melnikov set on Harmonia Mundi.  After a few listenings, I am very impressed with his bold and individualized interpretations.  Nikolayeva remains my favorite, but Melnikov is now in 2nd place, well ahead of the remainder of the competition.

Brian

Quote from: Bulldog on September 22, 2010, 03:12:10 PM
For those interested, Nikolayeva's first recording is finally available on cd - Doremi.  Cost appears to be in the $60 range - ouch!

Don, if you can tolerate MP3, sign up for eMusic. I acquired exactly that Doremi recording via eMusic in July or August, at a cost of 24 "credits" (about $12-15). Link to album.

Bulldog

Quote from: Brian on September 24, 2010, 05:30:01 AM
Don, if you can tolerate MP3, sign up for eMusic. I acquired exactly that Doremi recording via eMusic in July or August, at a cost of 24 "credits" (about $12-15). Link to album.

Thanks for the info. 8)

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on September 22, 2010, 03:12:10 PM
[....]
I think that high price is also caused by the extra DVD with Nikolayeva playing Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Doremi/DHR7991-3

Bulldog

Quote from: Marc on September 24, 2010, 01:48:25 PM
I think that high price is also caused by the extra DVD with Nikolayeva playing Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Doremi/DHR7991-3

Understood.  Unfortunately, she's playing the Tchaikovsky (of minimal interest to Bulldog).

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on September 24, 2010, 02:59:24 PM
Understood. Unfortunately, she's playing the Tchaikovsky (of minimal interest to Bulldog).
Understood. MP3 it is, then. ;)

Bulldog

I just discovered that the Roger Woodward version of the 1970's has been newly released by Celestial Harmonies.  You can check it out on the Naxos Music Library.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2010, 09:41:13 AM
I just discovered that the Roger Woodward version of the 1970's has been newly released by Celestial Harmonies.  You can check it out on the Naxos Music Library.

Don - did not know that this keyboardist went back that far!  :o

I have the WTC (complete) w/ him on the label above (i.e. CH) but these are recent recordings - Dave  :)

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on June 17, 2010, 02:53:39 PM

There's a very positive review by Barry Brenesal in the Nov/Dec Fanfare:

"this version goes to the head of the class, tying with Nikolayeva's 1962 reading (Doremi 7991), ahead of the pallid Jarrett (ECM 437189) and Rubackyté (Brilliant Classics 8463), flabby Petrushansky (Stradivarius 33763), cautious Weichert (Accord 4428213), and humorless Scherbakov (Naxos 8.554745/6). Ashkenazy's reading (Decca 466 066) is something of a special case. I find it too mild, but others may prefer it to the strong character exhibited by both Melnikov and Nikolayeva. Finally, I'd put in a strong word for the excerpts of the work recorded by Shostakovich himself, with a few of these in their best current incarnations on EMI 62648."

There's also a review of the 1962 Nikolayeva.  Doremi does not have a good reputation for their transfers.  The review does complain about overfiltered treble.  Hopefully Melodiya will get around to this one themselves.

Philoctetes

Quote from: SonicMan on July 18, 2010, 06:32:56 AM
Hi Brian - I'd love to hear comments (esp. from Don, the 'Bulldog') on Melnikov myself; but maybe another one to put into your mix - Jenny Lin - review by David Hurwitz HERE; personally, I own your first two listings above, plus Lin & Jarrett (my first set from way back) - Dave  :D

Fantastic interview with the pianist:

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/2009/jul/15/jenny-lin-live/

karlhenning

Quote from: Daverz on October 07, 2010, 11:59:06 AM
There's a very positive review by Barry Brenesal in the Nov/Dec Fanfare [...]

Pah, Brenesal undercuts his own credibility with his one-word dismissal of Scherbakov as "humorless."