GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 07, 2021, 10:34:41 AM
So just before the beast from the east snowstorm descended over London this morning I surveyed the remains of last year's chillies - I really only meant to find some old pods to harvest seeds however six of the plants still seemed to be hanging on for dear life. I took a selection of cuttings and then some drastic steps... I took the plants from their pots and removed all the soil, have them a good wash in warmish water and cut the plants right back to a few inches of stem. Then I've re-potted them in smallish terracotta pots with some nice fresh houseplant mix. 

Im not expecting much but if one or two pull through the next few months indoors they'll have a massive headstart over this year's seed grown bunch. If anyone is remotely interested I'll post updates on my little Lazarus project.  😎
I'd love to hear your updates!

My Lazarus project:  I kept my lemon verbena plant on the front porch (nice and sunny there)....until we had a few inches of snow!  I should have brought it in earlier, but it was quite heavy.  Looked cute covered with snow, but boy did it later show its displeasure with me losing most of its leaves.  I nursed it along as best as I could inside and it's looking much better, but not quite like in its glory days.  I'm hoping that once it starts getting warm again outside that it will finish 'recovering'.  :-[
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2021, 10:43:19 AM
I'd love to hear your updates!

My Lazarus project:  I kept my lemon verbena plant on the front porch (nice and sunny there)....until we had a few inches of snow!  I should have brought it in earlier, but it was quite heavy.  Looked cute covered with snow, but boy did it later show its displeasure with me losing most of its leaves.  I nursed it along as best as I could inside and it's looking much better, but not quite like in its glory days.  I'm hoping that once it starts getting warm again outside that it will finish 'recovering'.  :-[

Oh yeah, I love that plant but normally get a small new one in the spring. Perhaps you could take a cutting in case the parent takes a turn. It's such a shame when an overwintered plant kicks the bucket a week before the last frost ... 😑

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 07, 2021, 10:52:13 AM
Oh yeah, I love that plant but normally get a small new one in the spring. Perhaps you could take a cutting in case the parent takes a turn. It's such a shame when an overwintered plant kicks the bucket a week before the last frost ... 😑
Oh, I hate when the happens!!

Measuring from the base of the plant up and also widthwise, it's roughly 2' by 2'.  Probably a good idea though to take a cutting.  My German sage plants are also a decent size (am trying to be careful re watering) and a nice-sized sage plant too (though much smaller than the l.v.).

How do you like to use yours (the lemon verbena) one?

PD

EDIT:  I had meant my German thyme plants--not my sage one.
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2021, 12:19:51 PM
Oh, I hate when the happens!!

Measuring from the base of the plant up and also widthwise, it's roughly 2' by 2'.  Probably a good idea though to take a cutting.  My German sage plants are also a decent size (am trying to be careful re watering) and a nice-sized sage plant too (though much smaller than the l.v.).

How do you like to use yours (the lemon verbena) one?

PD

I like it mixed in with some peppermint in an iced infusion.

Irons

So just before the beast from the east snowstorm descended over London this morning I surveyed the remains of last year's chillies - I really only meant to find some old pods to harvest seeds however six of the plants still seemed to be hanging on for dear life. I took a selection of cuttings and then some drastic steps... I took the plants from their pots and removed all the soil, have them a good wash in warmish water and cut the plants right back to a few inches of stem. Then I've re-potted them in smallish terracotta pots with some nice fresh houseplant mix. 

Im not expecting much but if one or two pull through the next few months indoors they'll have a massive headstart over this year's seed grown bunch. If anyone is remotely interested I'll post updates on my little Lazarus project.  😎

Good luck! I see no reason it will not work.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 07, 2021, 01:02:17 PM
I like it mixed in with some peppermint in an iced infusion.
That sounds nice!  I've used mine making various types of herbal teas in the summertime.  Haven't tried baking with it though I have run across some recipes using it.  Do you ever use lemon balm?  I have a *goodly-sized patch of that.  It's supposed to be a calming herb.

*Warning, it's really good at spreading!
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Yes, please update. I've had some success overwintering smaller pepper plants indoors, but taking cuttings would save space and allow for perpetuating some of the more successful and favored varieties.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2021, 01:17:54 AM
That sounds nice!  I've used mine making various types of herbal teas in the summertime.  Haven't tried baking with it though I have run across some recipes using it.  Do you ever use lemon balm?  I have a *goodly-sized patch of that.  It's supposed to be a calming herb.

*Warning, it's really good at spreading!
PD

Oh yeah I have lemon balm essentially wild in my garden now along with other types of mint - I know they're very vigorous but don't mind these being a bit feral as it's good ground cover and nice for the bees. I used to drink an infusion of it but I found I got headaches.

I am considering letting some perilla/shiso loose - that's a herb I never have enough of in pots - the leaves stay so small but I expect it'll be a different story if i plant them in the ground. I know they're a mint family plant but I think they're more along the lines of basil, ie no spreading rhizome roots. 🤞

Benji

Quote from: Szykneij on February 08, 2021, 03:57:49 AM
Yes, please update. I've had some success overwintering smaller pepper plants indoors, but taking cuttings would save space and allow for perpetuating some of the more successful and favored varieties.

One cutting I took two weeks ago is sprouting new leaves but hasn't rooted so fingers crossed that is coming. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 08, 2021, 04:55:30 AM
Oh yeah I have lemon balm essentially wild in my garden now along with other types of mint - I know they're very vigorous but don't mind these being a bit feral as it's good ground cover and nice for the bees. I used to drink an infusion of it but I found I got headaches.

I am considering letting some perilla/shiso loose - that's a herb I never have enough of in pots - the leaves stay so small but I expect it'll be a different story if i plant them in the ground. I know they're a mint family plant but I think they're more along the lines of basil, ie no spreading rhizome roots. 🤞
I haven't tried using shiso before...will have to experiment with it some time!
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2021, 06:33:55 AM

I have found shiso to be super invasive. I planted some in a pot several years ago and I still get new plants showing up in various other places every summer. (The lemon balm, too.)

Quote from: Benji on February 08, 2021, 04:55:30 AM

The shiso I planted was a heavy seed producer, but yes, thankfully not by rhisomes.

Great to plant for the bees! I add a lot of annuals to my garden specifically for that purpose. I found our native bumblebees were really enjoying the begonias I planted a few years back, so I grow more every summer.

I did have a honeybee hive a couple of years ago which I really enjoyed, but a lot of work involved and the colony swarmed on me one day. On top of it, they chose to go when I wasn't around, so I didn't even get to appreciate the sight. I have ordered a few replacement parts that were needed, so I might try again this summer. Last time I had a friend help me get started, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to populate the hive on my own. I'd like to get on a list to get a relocated colony.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 08, 2021, 06:54:58 AM
I have found shiso to be super invasive. I planted some in a pot several years ago and I still get new plants showing up in various other places every summer. (The lemon balm, too.)

The shiso I planted was a heavy seed producer, but yes, thankfully not by rhisomes.

Great to plant for the bees! I add a lot of annuals to my garden specifically for that purpose. I found our native bumblebees were really enjoying the begonias I planted a few years back, so I grow more every summer.

I did have a honeybee hive a couple of years ago which I really enjoyed, but a lot of work involved and the colony swarmed on me one day. On top of it, they chose to go when I wasn't around, so I didn't even get to appreciate the sight. I have ordered a few replacement parts that were needed, so I might try again this summer. Last time I had a friend help me get started, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to populate the hive on my own. I'd like to get on a list to get a relocated colony.
I haven't even tried cooking with shiso, so I would start there first.  ;)

Honeybees!  Cool!  So sorry that it didn't work out.  I wonder why they left?  That must have been scary to have them swarm on you!  I trust that you had all of the appropriate gear on to protect you?  :(

I have lots of flowering perennials around here which insects seem to like pollinate--including butterflies.  ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2021, 06:33:55 AM

It's great for Asian cooking - it has a taste that is unique but somewhere along the basil/mint lines. I stir fry it with Korean ingredients or add it to kimchi. It's also used to colour ume plum pickles in Japan.

Even if you don't like the taste it is a beautiful plant. The leaves look like a fancy nettle - they can be all purple, all green or green on top and purple underneath! And they have gorgeous flowers very much like basil.

Benji

Quote from: Szykneij on February 08, 2021, 06:54:58 AM

Ok good - I like the idea of a self seeding patch! Thankfully my soil is heavy clay so they hopefully won't spread much further than the raised areas I keep mulched.

I'd love to have some bees - I think it's wonderful that people keep hives - anything we can do to give back to nature rather than take take take. All I have time for is the bug hotels though - I've set up a couple. Not sure of the occupancy rate, I am not a good hotelier. Forget about room service. 😄

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 08, 2021, 09:25:26 AM
It's great for Asian cooking - it has a taste that is unique but somewhere along the basil/mint lines. I stir fry it with Korean ingredients or add it to kimchi. It's also used to colour ume plum pickles in Japan.

Even if you don't like the taste it is a beautiful plant. The leaves look like a fancy nettle - they can be all purple, all green or green on top and purple underneath! And they have gorgeous flowers very much like basil.
Thanks.  I'll look around for recipes once it gets closer to farmers' market season.  :)
Quote from: Benji on February 08, 2021, 09:30:58 AM
Ok good - I like the idea of a self seeding patch! Thankfully my soil is heavy clay so they hopefully won't spread much further than the raised areas I keep mulched.

I'd love to have some bees - I think it's wonderful that people keep hives - anything we can do to give back to nature rather than take take take. All I have time for is the bug hotels though - I've set up a couple. Not sure of the occupancy rate, I am not a good hotelier. Forget about room service. 😄
I hadn't heard of a bug hotel before now!  Interesting!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

So did anyone else go a bit crazy buying houseplants over lockdowns, or just me? 😕

I had maybe 5 this time last year. Now I'm afraid to admit how many I have total but the growth has been exponential. All I'll say is that it's healthily into the triple digits. 😳

Irons

Quote from: Benji on February 08, 2021, 10:13:34 AM
So did anyone else go a bit crazy buying houseplants over lockdowns, or just me? 😕

I had maybe 5 this time last year. Now I'm afraid to admit how many I have total but the growth has been exponential. All I'll say is that it's healthily into the triple digits. 😳

You sound like James Wong on BBC 4 Gardeners Question Time. He sits on a panel of experts offering advice on house plants and freely admits not owning a garden. Entering his flat is reported to be like stepping into a tropical forest.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Szykneij

The warm weather yesterday motivated me to start some vegetable seeds indoors. Probably way too early for this part of the country, but we'll see how things go. The trick is to faithfully bring them outside for increasing periods of time to get them hardened off. Otherwise, they grow too weak and stringy to survive until planting time.

Irons

Quote from: Szykneij on March 12, 2021, 03:15:35 AM
The warm weather yesterday motivated me to start some vegetable seeds indoors. Probably way too early for this part of the country, but we'll see how things go. The trick is to faithfully bring them outside for increasing periods of time to get them hardened off. Otherwise, they grow too weak and stringy to survive until planting time.

Good advice. A lesson I have learnt to my cost. I have two module trays of beetroot, one multi-sown the other a single seed per module. I have noticed in past years that when transplanting seedlings to raised beds they are checked. They do recover but the shock of moving from greenhouse to open ground stunts growth and two or three weeks of growing are lost. All advantage of sowing early in ideal conditions is wasted. This year I will pay particular attention to hardening off.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 12, 2021, 07:41:25 AM
Good advice. A lesson I have learnt to my cost. I have two module trays of beetroot, one multi-sown the other a single seed per module. I have noticed in past years that when transplanting seedlings to raised beds they are checked. They do recover but the shock of moving from greenhouse to open ground stunts growth and two or three weeks of growing are lost. All advantage of sowing early in ideal conditions is wasted. This year I will pay particular attention to hardening off.
Then there is the added 'trick' of not letting them get dried out so that they then wilt on a sunny day when you've set them outside on your porch!  ??? ::)
Pohjolas Daughter