Author Topic: GMG Green Thumb Club  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: GMG Green Thumb Club
« Reply #340 on: May 27, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Sounds like you'll have quite a relaxing and shady garden there Irons!  :)

Any chance that your beans will recover now that the weather is improving if you are patient and give them some time?

Good luck with the tomato planting.  Need to get outside here soon myself (finishing a second load of laundry here, will make a quick breakfast and then outside for me).  I did stake all of my tomatoes and peppers yesterday (needed doing anyway but we were at risk for strong winds and possible hail...lucky, a bit windy, some rain--could have used more--and no hail).

Mandryka,

Have you thought more about what you want to plant in that hot spot?

PD

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #341 on: May 27, 2021, 06:47:11 AM »
An exotic garden in deepest Surrey!

And out with the bubble wrap in autumn! :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

• Veteran member
« Reply #342 on: May 27, 2021, 09:35:02 AM »
And out with the bubble wrap in autumn! :)
I've been wondering how much covering up you'll be doing (meaning of your garden).  ;)

Doing more stuff inside today; rather frustrating.  At least I've ordered the replacement parts for my multi-cutter (mostly used for weed whacking).  Boy, though, even repairing it myself, it won't be cheap!  :(

PD

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #343 on: May 27, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »

Mandryka,

PD

One of these

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
One of these

So, you're thinking of a tower of jewels plant?

I found this info: 

How to Grow Echium The tower of jewels plant can survive temperatures below 20 F. (-6 C.) if given some protection but is generally a warm to temperate weather specimen. Cooler areas should try to grow the plant in a solarium or greenhouse. The best soil is sandy to gritty and a cactus soil works well for potted plants. Site the Echium tower of jewels in full sun with some protection from the wind. These plants are quite drought tolerant but superior tower of jewels care will include regular watering in summer to help produce a strong spire that doesn’t tip over.

Link (auto-provided) Read more at Gardening Know How: Echium Tower of Jewels Flower: Tips For Growing Tower Of Jewels Plants https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/tower-of-jewels/echium-tower-of-jewels-info.htm

How cold does it get on average during winter for you?

And apparently it grows on average from 5-8 feet tall.  Is this a different variety?  Or given really good conditions?  :)

PD

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2021, 04:58:33 AM »

Mandryka,

PD

Just bought a Buddleja colvilei

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 05:01:53 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2021, 05:27:42 AM »
Just bought a Buddleja colvilei

Neat!  Beautiful looking shrub!  I suspect that hummingbirds would like the flowers too.  :)  Now are you going to be good and either you or someone else work in a lot of compost to loosen up your clay soil for it?  ;D >:D  A pain, I know, but it will be happier in the long run.

Blissfully cooler here today.  I know, I know.  My peppers, eggplants and tomatoes prefer it hotter but I needed this break!  And less humid too.  :)

PD