GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Quote from: Irons on July 23, 2021, 08:00:55 AM
"Phoenix" here  https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/pre-order-xxl-giant-phoenix-canariensis-canary-island-date-palm-large-6-7ft-patio-palm-trees-170-200cms?fee=6&fep=18147&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QG

Like you, I like a challenge. Stripped a border and filled with banana plants and cannas. I plan to bubble wrap the banana stems - I successfully did the same with a tree fern for the last two years. Also, have arranged a builders bag of forest bark for delivery in the Autumn which I will liberally spread through the bed. There is a risk, but if they burst into life come next Spring I will be chuffed and relieved.

Awesome looking tree! Unfortunately, it's rated U.S. Hardiness Zones 9-11 and I'm in zone 6, so it likely won't survive our winters and I don't have enough room to bring any more plants inside. Good luck with your bananas and cannas!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

"Phoenix" here  https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/pre-order-xxl-giant-phoenix-canariensis-canary-island-date-palm-large-6-7ft-patio-palm-trees-170-200cms?fee=6&fep=18147&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QG

Like you, I like a challenge. Stripped a border and filled with banana plants and cannas. I plan to bubble wrap the banana stems - I successfully did the same with a tree fern for the last two years. Also, have arranged a builders bag of forest bark for delivery in the Autumn which I will liberally spread through the bed. There is a risk, but if they burst into life come next Spring I will be chuffed and relieved.
So do you think that you can get some healthy bananas where you live?
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

The problem I had with cannas is that they flowered for me very late, September. The older they were, the more reluctant they were to flower. In the end I bought fresh once's every year, ones which were already in flower in the nursery, effectively treating them as bedding. Now I don't bother, largely because I'm not keen on the monocot foliage.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 23, 2021, 03:27:25 PM
So do you think that you can get some healthy bananas where you live?

Absolutely no chance. Purely decorative, a blousy statement. The one on the right started life last summer in a pot. The other I planted this Spring.

Quote from: Mandryka on July 23, 2021, 08:23:17 PM
The problem I had with cannas is that they flowered for me very late, September. The older they were, the more reluctant they were to flower. In the end I bought fresh once's every year, ones which were already in flower in the nursery, effectively treating them as bedding. Now I don't bother, largely because I'm not keen on the monocot foliage.

Interesting, we have three green and one red, all planted this year. Not too worried about late flowering as looking more for the architectural statement of canna. I have noticed something is having a nibble at them.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 24, 2021, 02:27:39 AM
Absolutely no chance. Purely decorative, a blousy statement. The one on the right started life last summer in a pot. The other I planted this Spring.

Interesting, we have three green and one red, all planted this year. Not too worried about late flowering as looking more for the architectural statement of canna. I have noticed something is having a nibble at them.
Drat!  Well, they are cool looking in any event.  :)  And I like the trellis that you made for your lovely clematis too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Great looking plants!

I've had this banana plant for many years. I take it inside every winter and it survives, but doesn't do very well. When I move it to the back deck for the summer, it usually thrives. This year, it's off to a slow recovery.

Edit: Maybe because it's on it's side  :o    :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Irons

Quote from: Szykneij on July 24, 2021, 03:16:17 AM
Great looking plants!

I've had this banana plant for many years. I take it inside every winter and it survives, but doesn't do very well. When I move it to the back deck for the summer, it usually thrives. This year, it's off to a slow recovery.

;D
I think your winters maybe colder. Mine are not in pots though I believe you can dig them up for winter months although I do not intend to do this. There are some YT clips giving advice on measures for protection. Apparently water logging is the biggest killer in winter months.
Your specimen looks a different variety and possibly more tender. Mine are Musa Basjoo. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on July 24, 2021, 03:16:17 AM
Great looking plants!

Quote from: Irons on July 25, 2021, 01:47:31 AM
;D
I think your winters maybe colder. Mine are not in pots though I believe you can dig them up for winter months although I do not intend to do this. There are some YT clips giving advice on measures for protection. Apparently water logging is the biggest killer in winter months.
Your specimen looks a different variety and possibly more tender. Mine are Musa Basjoo. 

Tony and Irons,

I did easily find this article which has some helpful advice:  http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d442

Oh!  I realized that my paste-type tomato plant (one of those that's in the pot) has blossom end rot (vs. knocking on wood while I type this) vs. a blight.  Trying to think of an 'instant' type calcium food.  Next try day, I'll also add some more compost and Tomato tone.  Between being in a pot and all of the rain that we've been getting, it's washing the nutrients out of the pot!  Any suggestions?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 25, 2021, 03:06:20 AM
Tony and Irons,

I did easily find this article which has some helpful advice:  http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d442

Oh!  I realized that my paste-type tomato plant (one of those that's in the pot) has blossom end rot (vs. knocking on wood while I type this) vs. a blight.  Trying to think of an 'instant' type calcium food.  Next try day, I'll also add some more compost and Tomato tone.  Between being in a pot and all of the rain that we've been getting, it's washing the nutrients out of the pot!  Any suggestions?

PD

Thanks for that info, PD, on Musa basjoo (Japanese Banana). It looks like it would do well where I am, but I'm a little concerned it would join forces with my Japanes knotweed and form some kind of alliance.  :)

When I pot my tomatoes in the spring, I usually use about half of the previous year's potting soil and amend it with new soil, manure, and plant food. That's usually sufficient for the year. I worried after my flood of a few weeks back, so I fed all the plants again and they seem to be doing fine. As a matter of fact, the grass is as lush and thick as ever and the mower had to work hard when I cut it yesterday. There is a product called Tomato Rot-Stop that you spay on the fruit that's supposed to be fast-acting. I've never tried it, but it could be worth a shot.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on July 25, 2021, 03:24:43 AM
Thanks for that info, PD, on Musa basjoo (Japanese Banana). It looks like it would do well where I am, but I'm a little concerned it would join forces with my Japanes knotweed and form some kind of alliance.  :)

When I pot my tomatoes in the spring, I usually use about half of the previous year's potting soil and amend it with new soil, manure, and plant food. That's usually sufficient for the year. I worried after my flood of a few weeks back, so I fed all the plants again and they seem to be doing fine. As a matter of fact, the grass is as lush and thick as ever and the mower had to work hard when I cut it yesterday. There is a product called Tomato Rot-Stop that you spay on the fruit that's supposed to be fast-acting. I've never tried it, but it could be worth a shot.
Thanks for this suggestion.  I like Bonide products and will try to get ahold of some as we're already well into tomato season here.  So far, knock on wood, I've only seen that one tomato with it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

We don't have a large garden, but thanks to the efforts of my wife, it is very attractive. She has been under pressure for some time to include it in the village's 'Open Garden' weekend, when anyone can come round your garden. The weather was bad and I thought that we'd only get one or two visitors but we must have had 100+ over the two days  :o
I was a prisoner in my own house - but at least they seemed to enjoy the garden!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2021, 05:15:03 AM
We don't have a large garden, but thanks to the efforts of my wife, it is very attractive. She has been under pressure for some time to include it in the village's 'Open Garden' weekend, when anyone can come round your garden. The weather was bad and I thought that we'd only get one or two visitors but we must have had 100+ over the two days  :o
I was a prisoner in my own house - but at least they seemed to enjoy the garden!
Sounds like she's done a great job!  What kind of plants do you have growing in it?

Are folks allowed to wander around your back yard or do they just look from the street or driveway?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 09, 2021, 05:25:11 AM
Sounds like she's done a great job!  What kind of plants do you have growing in it?

Are folks allowed to wander around your back yard or do they just look from the street or driveway?

PD
You can't see anything from the front of the house - they can walk right around the garden and can sit down on the garden chairs if they like. Some seemed interested in the 'Man Cave' at the end of the garden!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2021, 06:08:36 AM
You can't see anything from the front of the house - they can walk right around the garden and can sit down on the garden chairs if they like. Some seemed interested in the 'Man Cave' at the end of the garden!

It's lovely!  :)

How's the man cave progressing these days?

Or, they could have been wondering "What kind of gardening tools, fertilizers, etc., does she use?" and thinking that it was a gardening shed instead! :D

And, perhaps you were feeling a bit of what is known as "the goldfish in the fish bowl syndrome"?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 09, 2021, 06:08:36 AM

Beautiful garden, your wife is to be congratulated.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 09, 2021, 06:18:56 AM
It's lovely!  :)

How's the man cave progressing these days?

Or, they could have been wondering "What kind of gardening tools, fertilizers, etc., does she use?" and thinking that it was a gardening shed instead! :D

And, perhaps you were feeling a bit of what is known as "the goldfish in the fish bowl syndrome"?  ;)

PD

The Man Cave has a separate section at the back where we keep the gardening stuff. I'll take a photo of the Man Cave interior later.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 09, 2021, 07:41:43 AM
Beautiful garden, your wife is to be congratulated.
Thank you for the kind words which I shall pass on.

Papy Oli

Lovely cosy garden for a summer evening, Jeffrey  :)

...whilst Myaskovsky blares out of the hi-fi in the back garden's mancave  :laugh:
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2021, 08:03:21 AM

...whilst Myaskovsky blares out of the hi-fi in the back garden's mancave  :laugh:
:laugh:

Jeffrey,

I like your intimate seating arrangement.  Are you two able to sit out there and enjoy a meal or a glass of something nice?  Hopefully, the neighbors aren't too loud?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2021, 08:03:21 AM

Something like that!
Thanks Olivier  :)